A guide to update OpenCore 0.x.y to 0.x.y+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
1621323823188.jpeg

This is the error I’m getting.

set Vault to Optional
@Feartech vault is set to Optional.

This is what I’ve found on Dortania. Secure Boot Issues

The question now is that considering I’m using a USB test boot for 0.6.9 is how to progress safely?

I‘m considering initially disabling Secure Boot Model. Then seeing if 0.6.9 boots.

EDIT - Changing Disable SecureBootModel was successful boot off TEST USB.
  • ie. set Misc -> Security -> SecureBootModel -> Disabled

If successful then transferring TEST EFI to drive before trying to reinstate Secure Boot with a reinstall of OSX or the more protracted version of copying of Secure Boot manifests.

As my machine is running Mojave, Catalina and Big Sur I’m thinking a n install over the top would be the safest method to return to a working Secue Boot.

Opinions?

Was pleased, in some manner, to see it’s an OSX bug and not a failure of mine or Opencore.

E61B85B6-645A-4DA6-9E39-073D09B11588.jpeg

Last edited:
Could someone expand on what the most consistent methods of updating your config.plist would be.
XCode is nice, especially for binary values, but heavy, and I sometimes had issues opening with ProperTree a file which had been edited by XCode. So now I tend to only use ProperTree (and live with byte swapping binary data…) or TextEdit for editing.

To update, since there is no change in binary data, I open my old config.plist in TextEdit, the new Sample.plist in another TextEdit window, scroll both in parallel and copy-paste or retype settings from one to the other. This is somewhat pedestrian, but it is consistent and gives me an opportunity to spot version changes in the plist and review my settings.
- hit 7 "Compare": this will display the differences, now it's up to you to use whatever editor to add new keys, etc. Note that you certainly have additional keys specific to your build in your config.plist, so of course don't delete them... :mrgreen: But it's a good time to check if they're really needed or have become obsolete.
Golden advice :!: Removing unnecessary quirks improves your hack—and sometimes opens the road to full success!

Last edited:
I installed OS X Monterey Beta with OC 0.7.1. I would like to get some assistance in finding out the reason why I am getting this error message just before the picker displays; ocs: Failed to calculate size of array field containing <empty> as type data, context <Patch>. I have tried using OCConfigcompare, and the result is attached. I cannot quite figure out what the error message is telling me.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Attachments

• OC config comparr Result 10July21.pdf
    20.5 KB · Views: 44
I installed OS X Monterey Beta with OC 0.7.1. I would like to get some assistance in finding out the reason why I am getting this error message just before the picker displays; ocs: Failed to calculate size of array field containing <empty> as type data, context <Patch>. I have tried using OCConfigcompare, and the result is attached. I cannot quite figure out what the error message is telling me.

Thank you for your help in advance.
AFAICT, you can skip all the errors marked "skipped" :mrgreen: but you'll have to change the type from String to Data for the setting in config.plist -> NVRAM -> Add -> 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82 -> prev-lang:kbd
Here's how it should appear in PlistEdit Pro:

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2021-07-10 à 21.23.20.jpg
    Capture d’écran 2021-07-10 à 21.23.20.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 49
@Nodarkthings,
Thank you for your quick response.

According to the picture below;
Screen Shot 2021-07-10 at 4.19.58 PM.png

it appears that it can be either way. However, I did change it as you suggested though.
As to the error message, there are three <Patch>es; ACPI, Booter, and Kernel. I compared them with the Sample.plist line-by-line, they are all agreed with each other. Still trying to decipher the error........ when I use ocvalidate, this is the message;
Screen Shot 2021-07-10 at 7.16.28 PM.png

Not sure if there is any way related.....

@Nodarkthings,
Thank you for your quick response.

According to the picture below;
View attachment 524321
it appears that it can be either way. However, I did change it as you suggested though.
As to the error message, there are three <Patch>es; ACPI, Booter, and Kernel. I compared them with the Sample.plist line-by-line, they are all agreed with each other. Still trying to decipher the error........ when I use ocvalidate, this is the message;View attachment 524323
Not sure if there is any way related.....
As for the "skipped" messages, they only appeared with the last version(s?) of OCConfigcompare: with the same config.plist, I first checked with an old one (from April, I believe) and they didn't show up, then I had the idea to update OCConfigcompare and had the same as you. Here, everything is working ok without caring for those issues (might be a bug in OCConfigcompare, who knows...)

As for ocvalidate, you're doing it wrong: open Terminal, drag and drop ocvalidate then drag and drop your config.plist then type the Enter/Return key on your keyboard!
According to your screen capture, the command should look like (on one line):
/Volumes/Mac Backup/Z-Downloads/0penCore-0.7.1-RELEASE/Utilities/ocvalidate/ocvalidate /Volumes/EFI/EFI/OC/config.plist
You can also drag ocvalidate anywhere you like first, for example in your EFI, then the command will be:
/Volumes/EFI/ocvalidate /Volumes/EFI/EFI/OC/config.plist
You get it? ;)

Last edited:
Anyway, my guess is all this has nothing to do with your issue. The message you have at boot "ocs: Failed to calculate size of array field containing <empty> as type data, context <Patch>" probably means that there's some error in your config.plist in one of the Patch arrays (either ACPI, Booter or Kernel — probably not Kernel as it happens before the OS tries to load).
I'd search in the values that you've edited manually there.
Otherwise, if ocvalidate gives a good result, you'd rather ask on some thread dedicated to Monterey, it surely has its peculiarities...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back