i7-4790K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello to everyone,

First, ask for forgiveness, because I know that the subject is recurrent: sorry :rolleyes:
But, since now, the radeon vega seems to work out of the box, I've been thinking about reinvesting something and changing the rx 280x that I currently have. I can not invest much more than 600 or 700 euros. So I ask you for advice on what model you believe it would work right for FCPX out of the box in this range of price actually in Europe.

Thank you very much in advance

Honestly, your current card is pretty good for FCPX.

In a normal time, an upgrade to R9 2/390x or Vega would make sense for the additional power and VRAM-- but GPU prices are insane at the moment because of GPU-based crypto-currency mining. I mean, we're talking used R9 390X going for $400+, Vega for 4-digits!

Given that your 280X (7970 GE) is still solid, I'd suggest holding out for as long as you can and hoping that GPU prices return to sanity level before spending 3-4X what you should for something that will instantly lose all value once the GPU/crypto currency bubble pops (or at least heavily corrects more than is happening today).

Another strategy is to wait for the next release announcements (Vega 12nm refresh), and preorder at MSRP. Or take a backorder at MSRP if you can. You may end up waiting, but that's about the only way to get such cards at decent prices under such a situation.

A Vega 56 @ 399 MSRP would be excellent (and in normal conditions would be selling for ~300 by now new, or 250 used)... at the moment many go for double that.

Yeah, AMD prices is nuts at the moment, in Hong Kong we have over a hundred computer shops packed in 1 area and another computer mall just 2 tube stations away, but all they have from AMD is Vega 56, all RX x80 and Vega 64 is out, and even Vega 56 they want about €700 for it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back