Contribute
Register

A Couple of Questions Regarding Proper Directory Contents for Bootable USB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Lenovo Carbon X1 Bios UFEI N2HET35W (1.18)
CPU
I7-8565
Graphics
UHD 620
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'M using Opercore for the preparation of the USB boot flash drive that is to serve as my initial vehicle to get into the basic mac setup like Disk utility to prepare a HD for install.

I have the AML (SDTD's) required for my particular Kaby Lake CPU from the board specific files from OpenCore, Kexts and drivers. My question is that I have seen other working OC bootable USB configurations that show the Kexts folder containing folders named for the kexts and buried a few folders deeper in that particular kext folder the actual kext file. I was under the impression that the kexts files themselves were to be contained alone individually in the Kests folder under OC. I can't find any examples of the proper listing of Kexts files in the main Kext folder. I'm trying to double check everything since I have been unable to boot from the USB into the setup for initial hackintosh setup.

The only other question I have is that are only the laptop SDTD's and drivers (EFI files) necessary or are there some portion of the Katy Lake desktop files required as a basis for minimal configuration. I have only used the files required for ACPI, Drivers and Kexts as described in the OpenCore guide in the bootable USB under the OC folder. Im sure the files are all correct and are the latest ones matching the latest OC release. But have not been able to obtain a boot from the USB so far.

By the way, I have tried the USB in another laptop with the same results regardless of whether the kexts or drivers are correct for that particular carbon x1. Even though, I might not have been able to proceed with the installation, I would have expected a boot into the setup utiity.

Any help would be appreciated.

My question is that I have seen other working OC bootable USB configurations that show the Kexts folder containing folders named for the kexts and buried a few folders deeper in that particular kext folder the actual kext file.

Are you seeing the plugin kexts inside other kexts? Otherwise, not sure. With OC you drop the kext in the "Kexts" folder and then (if you don't want to do it manually) regenerate that portion of your config.plist in ProperTree. Nothing more.

All the info for a Kaby Lake laptop should be contained in the laptop part of the guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back