Contribute
Register

A better screen to go with the better hardware?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z77MX-D3H-TH
CPU
i5 3570K
Graphics
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
I have a 2010 27" iMac which I would like to mod but my thoughts are open to anyone who has modded an iMac and my question within this is, is there value in upgrading the screens of older models to get the equivalent of a retina or at least better screen? Have any of you considered doing that and is it practical, fitting wise? Also, is the advanced level of some of the mods putting people off trying? Would there be value in sub sectioning the forum into different difficulty levels, to get more people modding?

My 2010 iMac has all of the problems that model is noted for having. It runs very, very hot. I appreciate you can use third party apps to control fan speed but notionally I find that a bit depressing. It is noisy - has the deep rumbly tummy gloop-gloop hard drive problem, not much helped by changing out the hard drive for another Seagate model (though it helped a bit), though I got around that by fitting an SSD and forgoing trim support. It has a dust stain down the right of the screen, within the screen itself rather than under the glass. Currently I use it as just a screen for my main computer and though that works well, it is still very hot to the touch.

So, to modding. Like I think most people here, I am in love with the aesthetics of iMacs, perhaps to the extent of not upgrading the screens, I'm not sure, though the temptation to get a monitor to sit in front of it is there, which clutters the desk. To hardware upgrade the spec of my 2010 model, I think I need to wait for a i7 Skylake NUC, possibly a second generation one that comes with USB 3.1.

Or could I get a slim Z97 motherboard, make a custom CPU cooler and fit a thin non-laptop graphics card? It would be nice to have an iMac that's more powerful than a laptop, which might not be practical with the newer very slim iMacs, but surely the 2009 and 2010 models, or earlier iMacs, present opportunities beyond the nevertheless very cool - and very cool running - NUC option? Any thoughts welcome. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your mods and would like to go on ebay and find myself an older model to mod.

I have a 2010 27" iMac which I would like to mod but my thoughts are open to anyone who has modded an iMac and my question within this is, is there value in upgrading the screens of older models to get the equivalent of a retina or at least better screen? Have any of you considered doing that and is it practical, fitting wise?
I think there is benefit, fitting is one challenge. Second big challenge is technology compatibility, LVDS is a standard but like everything there are differences. Also backlight (inverter) power supply compatibility has to be considered.

Also, is the advanced level of some of the mods putting people off trying? Would there be value in sub sectioning the forum into different difficulty levels, to get more people modding?
I don't think the structure of the forum is a barrier to entry, the only improvement I would make would be a (moderator curated) "Golden Builds" section highlighting the best of hardware builds, this might draw more interest.

My 2010 iMac has all of the problems that model is noted for having. It runs very, very hot. I appreciate you can use third party apps to control fan speed but notionally I find that a bit depressing. It is noisy - has the deep rumbly tummy gloop-gloop hard drive problem, not much helped by changing out the hard drive for another Seagate model (though it helped a bit), though I got around that by fitting an SSD and forgoing trim support. It has a dust stain down the right of the screen, within the screen itself rather than under the glass. Currently I use it as just a screen for my main computer and though that works well, it is still very hot to the touch.

So, to modding. Like I think most people here, I am in love with the aesthetics of iMacs, perhaps to the extent of not upgrading the screens, I'm not sure, though the temptation to get a monitor to sit in front of it is there, which clutters the desk.
An external monitor sounds like a bad option. As to the issues with the machine had you considered repairing it. Issues with excessive heat generally have a cause, clogged vent, dry thermal paste, etc. I good disassembly and clean may improve things, replacement LCD's are available (at a price).

To hardware upgrade the spec of my 2010 model, I think I need to wait for a i7 Skylake NUC, possibly a second generation one that comes with USB 3.1.

Or could I get a slim Z97 motherboard, make a custom CPU cooler and fit a thin non-laptop graphics card? It would be nice to have an iMac that's more powerful than a laptop, which might not be practical with the newer very slim iMacs, but surely the 2009 and 2010 models, or earlier iMacs, present opportunities beyond the nevertheless very cool - and very cool running - NUC option?
While anything is possible, I think the (Z97) configuration is very ambitious. I think you should consider a "Thin MiniITX" motherboard form factor, These boards are used mainly in the G4 Cube builds. A good example is the http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4754#ov which I understood was never upgraded to the 97 chipset.

The other component you have to consider is the DVI/HDMI converter to LVDS (for newer >20" iMac screens). The shear bulk of these components, internal cabling, height restrictions, and the heat generated, are you biggest challenges.

Any thoughts welcome. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your mods and would like to go on ebay and find myself an older model to mod.
Buying an older iMac is probably one of the best ways to get started. I would highly suggest an older model with TMDS screen, it is just simpler. This gives you a low cost sacrificial lamb to which you can experiment, without disrupting your current iMac

Kiwi

Thank you for your thoughts, Kewi, much appreciated, a shame that the http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5290&kw=GA-H97TN#ov isn't available, though it is still a bit feature restricted. I get why people mod old Mac Pro cases but surely modding a 2009/2010 dimensions iMac to make it a power model is every bit as cool.

----------------------------------

I'll get back on topic in a moment - go to the fifth paragraph to avoid my 2010 iMac 27" problems/musings - but the particular model that I have is prone to running very hot, some would say outrageously so when under load, while Apple themselves say the temperatures are within the working spec parameters of that model, and mine is very much in the upper level of that, with a lot of people saying third party fan control apps are the only sensible way to go with that model. I have seen people drill vent holes on the back and fit an intake and extractor fans but it's not pretty, which seems to me to go against the whole clean lines minimalist ethos that makes the iMac of all generations so appealing in the first place. Interesting, blasting the back with icy cold air made little difference to the temperatures, internally, while upping the fan speeds internally certainly helps, though gives you an fairly audible iMac, which again goes against the quiet design appeal.

I was unlucky, basically, I was sold a model whose manufacture date was quite a long way off it's sales date, so I took that to mean I was sold a returned/reconditioned model. There is some minor screen yellowing, again a known fault with many of the panels in that model, but it is much more minor than many had, being barely noticeable, some uneven screen illumination but nothing that bothers me particularly. I replaced the noisy hard drive. Apple finally issued a product recall on that one, at least, but I didn't want to risk an overworked technician putting dings in the immaculate aluminium case and so took the opportunity, also, to fit an SSD. I hear Apple replaced the desktop hard drive with a quiet laptop one, which seemed like a downgrade, to me. The ingress of dust is a known fault with that panel but I am way past the Apple care warranty. It is frustrating because I have a clean room. I can repair the panel, potentially, but opening up the panel itself is tricky and on reassembly a lot of people have ended up with dead screens. Others have had the dust streak 'smear' problem return some months down the line. For now, I put up with the uneven vertical dust smear band.

----------------------------------

Back on topic, it just seems to me it will take a couple of revisions of Skylake NUC to match the i5 performance of this iMac, so going the desktop motherboard route would seem preferable, if it is even possible within the space. I really need to know that before I begin because dismantling this iMac is a bit laborious. I have looked at that motherboard. The laptop memory is a little disappointing and that it can only be upgraded to 16GB. It would certainly be an upgrade, if not a particularly up to date one, features wise. Have you come across anyone who has tried it with a 2009/2010 iMac case? I was thinking that the case itself would make a good CPU heat dissipator. Another thing that I need to research is slim graphics cards and perhaps drilling holes behind the stand where they wouldn't stand out. Again, I need to work out positions of the logic boards and how much room there is to channel air.

Did you have any success with a mod Detosx? I have a 24" mid-2007 iMac which I'm planning to retire as my main PC before the end of the year. Down the road I'll definitely be fishing for ideas of what I can do to put this great aluminum case to use.

Did you have any success with a mod Detosx? I have a 24" mid-2007 iMac which I'm planning to retire as my main PC before the end of the year. Down the road I'll definitely be fishing for ideas of what I can do to put this great aluminum case to use.
I haven't made much progress, have become distracted by making my own case, but something caught my eye, today, small motherboard wise. Intel are bringing out a new 1150 motherboard called 5 x 5. The dimensions of 140 x 147mm are very eye catching. I wonder how thin it is. The frustration is you are limited to onboard graphics, though it's still a big step up from a NUC as, as with Mini-ITX boards, it can use desktop CPUs (up to 65watts). I can't find a release date for it, yet.

Attachments

• intel_5x5_hdblog_it.jpg
    intel_5x5_hdblog_it.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 164
  • intel_5x5.jpg
    intel_5x5.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 153
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back