Contribute
Register

A Beginner's Guide to Creating a Custom USB SSDT

Thank you for your help. Will try removing USBInject and using the one created by Hackintool. So far, after removing the port limit patches (all of them), my system seems more stable and snappier. Any changes needed in my config plist? Again, thank you very much and I only turned to Hackintool because I got to the part to map the ports and no HS or SS ports showed, just PR ports (any tutorial I looked up did not show PR ports, and I could not get them to show as HS ports).

Hello there.

I can't address your USB2.0 problems from personal experience because my own earliest Hackintosh motherboard was a Z68. So, like you, I have to search and research.

Having said that you can find a heck of a lot of information here at Tonymacx86 that will help considerably.

For example one thing sticks out is the system-defintion. This doesn't affect the USB configuration but is worth mentioning. If you are using ECC DRAM then there's no problem, but for run-of-the-mill non-ECC DRAM you should remove - AppleTyMCEDriver.kext - or change away from MacPro5,1

Secondly for Legacy motherboards there is a DSDT patch available here in the downloads section specifically for your motherboard:

MB.png

Just check which BIOS version you are running and use the appropriate patch.

USBInjectAll is not a problem. In fact it opens-up all motherboard ports for configuration so is recommended (unless you are creating your own bespoke ACPI patch). In @RehabMan 's repository there are versions going way back to 2015 available. Perhaps an earlier version will work better?

You would only remove it if you choose to go with Hackintool's USBPorts.kext instead. Not covered here.

You should also check what kexts you have installed in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other and Drive: Library/Extensions. We haven't seen those so don't know what else is going on.

:)

Hi there.

1) Your SSDT looks okay :thumbup:.

2) The IOReg output shows that the Bluetooth adapter is connected as a hub. This is usually a problem. Because a hub can be more than one port you can't configure them, only single ports.

As the motherboard has clearly 'pinched' one of the USB ports for the m.2 slot, maybe the internal wiring for this turns it into a hub rather than a simple port. Or maybe the adapter/riser card, if you used one, is responsible. Disabling HS10 otherwise seems an odd choice. I checked the Gigabyte manual but I see no mention of this in the BIOS set-up.

When you did your port testing prior to building the SSDT template, did you, by any chance, do this without the wireless/BT card in place? If so did you notice if the HS10 port was present elsewhere, or not?

3) Check About this Mac / System Report / USB and the "USB Device Tree" to see what controllers and hubs are showing.

Hi! Thanks for the reply!

1 - Perfect!
2 - I did the port testing with the wireless/bluetooth card in place, and it was present in the HS10 port, should I test without the card?
3 - I tried to check the USB device tree with the SSDT file in the Clover folder and the only devices shown were keyboard and mouse. Moved the SSDT file to trash and rebooted, now bluetooth is available and wireless/bluetooth card appears in the USB device tree as shown in screenshot.

Attachments

• USB device tree.png
    USB device tree.png
    78.8 KB · Views: 75
Hi! Thanks for the reply!

1 - Perfect!
2 - I did the port testing with the wireless/bluetooth card in place, and it was present in the HS10 port, should I test without the card?
3 - I tried to check the USB device tree with the SSDT file in the Clover folder and the only devices shown were keyboard and mouse. Moved the SSDT file to trash and rebooted, now bluetooth is available and wireless/bluetooth card appears in the USB device tree as shown in screenshot.

Okay.

Going over your initial post and this reply I did some more checking for you. Here are some ideas/thoughts:

1) The SSDT_USB.aml is generally correct, as I said before. Something to point out - you have defined all the HS** ports as USB2.0 connectors "0". However all 6x ports on your back-panel are blue - i.e USB3.0 connectors, so wired as "UsbConnector", 3, etc. There are only actually 2x USB2.0 ports and they are internal.

This shouldn't be relevant to the Bluetooth problem.

2) In your device-tree screengrab, my guess, as before, is that the 20702 bluetooth being on the adapter in an m.2 slot could be why it's showing as a hub. Not much we can do about that if so.

You haven't told us what kexts you are using in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other or drive: Library/Extensions. These might be affecting the USB sub-system. Where is USBInjectAll.kext for example?

Certainly your hardware should be easily configurable for USB. Setting BT on HS10 as "UsbConnector", 255, might be more tricky.

Here's something you can check:

Highlight your HS10 port in IORegistryExplorer and compare it with this one -

Port1.jpg

There's a hub connected to this port as you can see, but the port itself is UsbConnector 3. What is yours?

Okay.

Going over your initial post and this reply I did some more checking for you. Here are some ideas/thoughts:

1) The SSDT_USB.aml is generally correct, as I said before. Something to point out - you have defined all the HS** ports as USB2.0 connectors "0". However all 6x ports on your back-panel are blue - i.e USB3.0 connectors, so wired as "UsbConnector", 3, etc. There are only actually 2x USB2.0 ports and they are internal.

This shouldn't be relevant to the Bluetooth problem.

2) In your device-tree screengrab, my guess, as before, is that the 20702 bluetooth being on the adapter in an m.2 slot could be why it's showing as a hub. Not much we can do about that if so.

You haven't told us what kexts you are using in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other or drive: Library/Extensions. These might be affecting the USB sub-system. Where is USBInjectAll.kext for example?

Certainly your hardware should be easily configurable for USB. Setting BT on HS10 as "UsbConnector", 255, might be more tricky.

Here's something you can check:

Highlight your HS10 port in IORegistryExplorer and compare it with this one -

View attachment 421261

There's a hub connected to this port as you can see, but the port itself is UsbConnector 3. What is yours?

I set USBConnector as 3 and port <0a 00 00 00> in port HS10 (as it appeared in the IOregister with SSDT disabled, with bluetooth working) and it worked!
I have to go now, but tomorrow I'll carefully check if everything works properly, but it should be ok!
I'll let you know, hoping it could be useful for other users in the future.
Thanks a lot!

@UtterDisbelief
a Big Thank You
for your work and help in this thread. Your guide led me smoothly creating my custom ssdt. I'm quite new to the hackintosh thing and only installed USB Inject all to get correct symbols for external drives (yeah just eye candy, i know) without knowing about the port limits and stuff (followed MacMans i9 Z390 Build). I now only disabled the port limit removal patches in clover configurator. Not sure if it is worse than removing them completely.
cheers

@UtterDisbelief
a Big Thank You
for your work and help in this thread. Your guide led me smoothly creating my custom ssdt. I'm quite new to the hackintosh thing and only installed USB Inject all to get correct symbols for external drives (yeah just eye candy, i know) without knowing about the port limits and stuff (followed MacMans i9 Z390 Build). I now only disabled the port limit removal patches in clover configurator. Not sure if it is worse than removing them completely.
cheers

Good news. Glad it was useful. :thumbup:

Disabling the port-limit removal patches has the same effect as removing them completely. The only advantage to leaving them in, but disabled, is if you might need them again in future. Changing their status is just a click away.

I'm trying to follow this guide but get somehow confuse about my current state. I have a Gigabyte z170 gaming 7 motherboard with XHCI Hand off option turned off in my BIOS, but still I fail to see any SS port in the ioRegistryExplorer. My motherboard seems to have only USB3 ports and I think 1 or 2 x 3.1, but none of them are working when I plug a USB3 flashdrive, they only work with USB2 ones.
I guess something is misconfigured in the BIOS. What should I look for ?

I'm trying to follow this guide but get somehow confuse about my current state. I have a Gigabyte z170 gaming 7 motherboard with XHCI Hand off option turned off in my BIOS, but still I fail to see any SS port in the ioRegistryExplorer. My motherboard seems to have only USB3 ports and I think 1 or 2 x 3.1, but none of them are working when I plug a USB3 flashdrive, they only work with USB2 ones.
I guess something is misconfigured in the BIOS. What should I look for ?

Hello.

You should have XHCI Handoff Enabled in your BIOS :thumbup:

Hello @UtterDisbelief, thanks.
I just tried flipping the option on but still no luck unfortunately. Still no SS ports in that list and USB3 flashdrive don't connect.

[edit]: There is also something to enable all USB device to be functional during POST or to wait for the OS to be booted to enable them. I played around a bit with this option as well but also no luck.

[edit2]: I also need to mention that USB3 flashdrives work on the front USB port of the case, but they appear under a "HS" node in ioRegistryExplorer, not an SS one. And those two front port are the only ones that accept USB3 flashdrives

Last edited:
Hello @UtterDisbelief, thanks.
I just tried flipping the option on but still no luck unfortunately. Still no SS ports in that list and USB3 flashdrive don't connect.

[edit]: There is also something to enable all USB device to be functional during POST or to wait for the OS to be booted to enable them. I played around a bit with this option as well but also no luck.

[edit2]: I also need to mention that USB3 flashdrives work on the front USB port of the case, but they appear under a "HS" node in ioRegistryExplorer, not an SS one. And those two front port are the only ones that accept USB3 flashdrives

Okay,

See how many ports you have showing in IORegistryExplorer. From your description, chances are it's HS01 to HS14 plus another odd port.

Run the program, scroll down to the XHC section and let us know what's there (screengrab will be fine).

Back