Contribute
Register

A Beginner's Guide to Creating a Custom USB SSDT

Progressing! Mapped ports showing up under the XHC label. BUT I have two port (red ones) which are reflected in IORegistryExplorer under the RP05@1c,4-->PSXS@0. The resource also appears on desktop. That do I do with those (as the guide indicates only to mess with stuff under XHC label (which I didn't have to rename). Please advise!

[EDIT: Utter Success! Thanks @UtterDisbelief for excellent guide!]

Last edited:
Progressing! Mapped ports showing up under the XHC label. BUT I have two port (red ones) which are reflected in IORegistryExplorer under the RP05@1c,4-->PSXS@0. The resource also appears on desktop. That do I do with those (as the guide indicates only to mess with stuff under XHC label (which I didn't have to rename). Please advise!

The red ports on your motherboard are controlled by an ASMedia chipset and are not a part of the configuration process.

Because of this they show up in the "RP" section of the IORegistryExplorer tree and not the "XHC".

Only the main Intel chipset ports appear in the XHC section and are easily configurable. With the port-limit removal patch in place you should see something like 26 total available ports there. Configuring 15 of these is the way to go :thumbup: The other red ports will work, generally, but possibly have power-management issues. On my own Z370 this doesn't actually affect much as I don't use the ports for big power devices. Flash-drives plugged in here can sometimes get a little 'warm' though.

:)

Hmm, might have cheered slightly too early, but then again maybe not.
Story:
The reason why I started to work the USB port config was due to errors in the Steinberg elicenser (usb hardware lock) and I thought it was due to that I had not done my home work.
After what I thought was a successful config the elicenser still shows the same error prone nature when firing up Cubase or Dorico.
However, my rme sound card on USB port works flawlessly and all ports respond as expected to both USB 2 and USB 3 devices and the devices show up as expected in the IORegistryExplorer.
Odd thing is also that no elicenser errors present themselves if I hook it up to one of the RP ports.
Can not really figure out what the issue may be or what the root cause can be to this. Machine is working perfectly apart from this...but using the RP port solves the issue whereas root cause is not addressed.

Thoughts, anyone?

Enclosing the aml file deployed.

Attachments

• SSDT_USB.aml
    697 bytes · Views: 54
Hmm, might have cheered slightly too early, but then again maybe not.
Story:
The reason why I started to work the USB port config was due to errors in the Steinberg elicenser (usb hardware lock) and I thought it was due to that I had not done my home work.
After what I thought was a successful config the elicenser still shows the same error prone nature when firing up Cubase or Dorico.
However, my rme sound card on USB port works flawlessly and all ports respond as expected to both USB 2 and USB 3 devices and the devices show up as expected in the IORegistryExplorer.
Odd thing is also that no elicenser errors present themselves if I hook it up to one of the RP ports.
Can not really figure out what the issue may be or what the root cause can be to this. Machine is working perfectly apart from this...but using the RP port solves the issue whereas root cause is not addressed.

Thoughts, anyone?

Enclosing the aml file deployed.

Hi there.

Your SSDT looks fine :thumbup:

As these license keys can work in very "tricky" ways it may be tripping over something that a Hackintosh is doing that a real Mac would not etc.

A test you could do is to take out your SSDT and then put back the port-limit removal patch. This will open up all your Motherboard USB ports again. You might then check if the port you wish to use the Steinberg key in, is working again. If it is still causing problems then it is likely an inconsistency in Hackintosh emulation processes.

(Obviously don't do this if it has the possibility of affecting any of your licenses stored on the key).

I see you have addressed this problem elsewhere on another thread. Have you also done a site-search for "Steinberg eLicense" ? A few other members seem to have had problems too. The Steinberg web-site also has a few suggestions :thumbup:

Good hints! Will check those out tomorrow. One thought though: I never removed the port-limit removal patch! Can that affect? How do I remove the patch from the plist.config?

Good hints! Will check those out tomorrow. One thought though: I never removed the port-limit removal patch! Can that affect? How do I remove the patch from the plist.config?

You can load your config.plist into Clover Configurator and look in the "Kernel and Kext Patches" section. The port-limit removal patch(es) are here. Just tick the "Disable" box next to each one, or use the "-" option at the bottom-left to delete them altogether. (How many lines there are depends on which version of macOS you are running.

If your addresses are correct then export your IORegistryExplorer output and post it here so we can take a look:thumbup:
Well my addresses seem correct, here is my IOReG.
But. I've found in this forum a USB XHCI Kext for my exact motherboard, and when I look at it, USB 3 port are not SS01 but SP01. Not sure if it changes anything.
Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• IsidoreIsou.ioreg
    6.3 MB · Views: 36
Well my addresses seem correct, here is my IOReG.
But. I've found in this forum a USB XHCI Kext for my exact motherboard, and when I look at it, USB 3 port are not SS01 but SP01. Not sure if it changes anything.
Thanks for your time.

Hi there.

Yes, agreed, the addresses are okay :thumbup:

Hmmm. I don't seem to be able to see what you are telling me:

XHC controller tree -

XHC.png

EHC controller tree -

EHC.png

Both of which look fine.

In your previous post you uploaded your SSDT template, but in there you have only configured USB3 ports up to "SS04". so SS05 and SS06 would be unconfigured.

Maybe I am missing something here... The Renesas ports are USB3/2 and they should be on the "RP" tree.

Have you added or deleted any kexts before or after this?

Thanks for the excellent guide UtterDisbelief, I was thinking I would be able to follow all this OK but seem to have stumbled early on.

I have successfully applied the Port Limit patch and seems like all by USB ports are working now, but I cannot find any references to XHC or EH01 or EH02 in IORegistryExplorer.

I have connected a Plantronics Headset to a USB port and found that in IORegistryExplorer as per the screenshot above, but for some reason I don't seem to have any XHC or similar entries.

I am using an ASUS Sabertooth X79 mainboard and have a fresh install of 10.14.5. I have also deliberately enabled all the USB ports in the BIOS for this exercise.

I wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction please?

Kind regards

Rob

Thanks for the excellent guide UtterDisbelief, I was thinking I would be able to follow all this OK but seem to have stumbled early on.

I have successfully applied the Port Limit patch and seems like all by USB ports are working now, but I cannot find any references to XHC or EH01 or EH02 in IORegistryExplorer.

View attachment 409689

I have connected a Plantronics Headset to a USB port and found that in IORegistryExplorer as per the screenshot above, but for some reason I don't seem to have any XHC or similar entries.

I am using an ASUS Sabertooth X79 mainboard and have a fresh install of 10.14.5. I have also deliberately enabled all the USB ports in the BIOS for this exercise.

I wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction please?

Kind regards

Rob
best to scroll down the left hand side rather than searching

Back