Contribute
Register

A Beginner's Guide to Creating a Custom USB SSDT

A far as the damaged ports go, I had a power suppiy go out. Right before it went it was powering those ports erratically. Sometimes they would be powered up even after I turned off the machine. Then one time I turned the switch off on the p/s after the computer shut down and I saw the lights in the room flicker and then she was dead. I installed a new p/s and those ports were dead. They are dead when I boot Linux straight from the bios too. I am assuming you saw my post re the kexts.

I still can't get the volumes to mount with any usb 3 drive.

Also, found this existing simultaneously with the other ports displayed on IORegistry Explorer

and this

and this

So I did a bit more testing and found that all the USB three ports and the single USB 3.1 type C port all work under Linux, even in the yellow ports. However, my USB 2 Flash drive does not work in any of the USB three ports, but works fine in the yellow ports. I forgot to check devices other than drives, so I'll go and try to plug in a printer and USBDAC audio converter and see what happens and update this soon as I find out.

I take back what I said about all the ports working under Linux. Actually, only USB 3 devices work on the USB 3 ports. They do not appear to be backwards compatible to USB two. USB two devices are only working in the two yellow USB ports at the top of the stack next to the PS two port. Perhaps it's related to the damaged ports. However, it seems that I should be able to get USB three ports working under the Mac OS. The disk that my operating system is on is getting long in the tooth and is undersized. Perhaps a new SSD and a clean install of the operating system is in order.

I take back what I said about all the ports working under Linux. Actually, only USB 3 devices work on the USB 3 ports. They do not appear to be backwards compatible to USB two. USB two devices are only working in the two yellow USB ports at the top of the stack next to the PS two port. Perhaps it's related to the damaged ports. However, it seems that I should be able to get USB three ports working under the Mac OS. The disk that my operating system is on is getting long in the tooth and is undersized. Perhaps a new SSD and a clean install of the operating system is in order.

Did you try removing the FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext I mentioned in post #172 ?

The fact that a bunch of USB2/3 ports have been moved away from the XHC controller to RP is an indicator this might be involved.

(Sounds like you know what you are doing, but perhaps keep a working copy of the entire EFI folder somewhere safe in case needed).

The other kext - GenericUSBXHCI - is for external controllers and might not be needed. For the main ports it isn't.

As your Linux install also has problems with the ports I guess it could well be that hardware damage causing issues.

Last edited:
It remains a puzzle to me. USB 3 drives are seen, but their volumes will not mount. I searched for a replacement motherboard, thinking that I might upgrade from a 100 series board to a 200 series board, however, the prices of last generation boards are crazy. I ordered a new SSD. When it arrives I am going to try a clean install of the os. Thanks for working with me on this.

It remains a puzzle to me. USB 3 drives are seen, but their volumes will not mount. I searched for a replacement motherboard, thinking that I might upgrade from a 100 series board to a 200 series board, however, the prices of last generation boards are crazy. I ordered a new SSD. When it arrives I am going to try a clean install of the os. Thanks for working with me on this.
clearly something isn't right, and there's a good chance a clean instal will solve it. in the meantime, have you tried mounting the grayed-out drives in disk utility? highlight the drive in question then click Mount in the disk utility window.

Well, it's interesting. I blew away the ITE device (HS12) to see what that would do, and doing so disabled HS05/SS05 and my two USB 3.0 case ports. So I rewrote the .dsl file to include HS on all SS ports. Everything works with the exception of the HS10/SS10 case port. I don't have enough ports to include an HS line for it so I'll just disable it. I hope I won't be doing this a lot: :banghead:
I'm done tweaking my SSDT-UIAC. I have all the USB3/3.1 ports and their corresponding USB2 ports enabled, except for HS08. I have the two USB2 hubs enabled--HS11 motherboard USB2 headers, and HS13 the rear panel USB2 ports. USB-C isn't enabled since I have no need for it. this comes to 15 ports. attached is my SSDT if it's of any use to you. when I acquire a USB-C device I'll disable another one of the HS ports associated with a USB3 port.

Attachments

• SSDT-UIAC-Z390-AORUS-PRO.aml.zip
    1 KB · Views: 82
Back