Contribute
Register

A Beginner's Guide to Creating a Custom USB SSDT

Ok :thumbup:

For your Hackintosh, not your MacBook Pro, I would recommend ...

Check the format of the port section as per the beginner's guide above and use 10 instead of 3 etc. for your USB-C port in the connector type field.

There are more connector types if you want to go into more depth but that's for a more advanced tutorial. See how you get on with "10".

:)

Last edited:
For a USB 2.0 port (usually black) we need to set: “USB Connector”, 2,

For a USB 3.0 port (usually blue) we need to set: “USB Connector”, 3, - even if we mostly use it for a USB 2.0 device.

For a Motherboard USB 2.0 port used for a BlueTooth card we need: “USB Connector”, 255, - this is to stop the BT device waking your PC from sleep unnecessarily.

Hi, @UtterDisbelief. Just out of curiosity, would you know what's the correct connector code to use for USB 3.1 gen 2 on Z390? TIA!

Btw, I think USB 2 should be 0.

Last edited:
Hi, @UtterDisbelief. Just out of curiosity, would you know what's the correct connector code to use for USB 3.1 gen 2 on Z390? TIA!

I have it marked as a "3" Doesn't really have a separate option as far as I know as all apple devices that have 3.1 Gen 2 support are Type C ports. So I don't think that they would even have a definition for a 3.1G2 Type A port.

Ok :thumbup:

For your Hackintosh, not your MacBook Pro, I would recommend ...

Check the format of the port section as per the beginner's guide above and use 10 instead of 3 etc. for your USB-C port in the connector type field.

There are more connector types if you want to go into more depth but that's for a more advanced tutorial. See how you get on with "10".

:)

from here:

If a USB-C uses the same SSxx in both orientations, then it has an internal switch (UsbConnector=9).
If a USB-C uses a different SSxx in each orientation, then it has no switch (UsbConnector=10).

Mine has switch. is same in either orientation so for me 9

Thanks for the feedback :thumbup:

Well spotted. Thank you. Typo corrected. (A bit annoyed with myself for that one).

As for a USB 3.1 Gen 2 port. My understanding is that the 'connector type' is an electrical reference defining the layout, contacts and how they operate in a given port. Thus a Type-A USB 3.0/3.1 Gen 1/3.1 Gen 2 port is "3".

A USB Type-C is either a "9" or a "10" depending on how it is recognised when rotated. This is because in the USB Type-C wiring spec USB 3.1 uses two pairs of the four available for data transmission lines. Depending on which and how these are connected, defines how the port flip-flops SS labels or not.

Things might change with USB 3.2 when it arrives because that will use all four pairs in the same cable, but I have enough headaches for the moment! :crazy:

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback :thumbup:

Well spotted. Thank you. Typo corrected. (A bit annoyed with myself for that one).

As for a USB 3.1 Gen 2 port. My understanding is that the 'connector type' is an electrical reference defining the layout, contacts and how they operate in a given port. Thus a Type-A USB 3.0/3.1 Gen 1/3.1 Gen 2 port is "3".

A USB Type-C is either a "9" or a "10" depending on how it is recognised when rotated. This is because in the USB Type-C wiring spec USB 3.1 uses two pairs of the four available for data transmission lines. Depending on which and how these are connected, defines how the port flip-flops SS labels or not.

Things might change with USB 3.2 when it arrives because that will use all four pairs in the same cable, but I have enough headaches for the moment! :crazy:

Thanks.

Also, be careful when using "USB 3.2" naming. The people responsible for the naming of USB has renamed USB 3.1...

What used to be known as USB 3 and later renamed to USB 3.1 gen 1 (5Gbps) is now known as USB 3.2 gen 1.
What used to be known as USB 3.1 gen 2 (10Gbps) is now known as USB 3.2 gen 2.
The next version of USB (20Gbps) will be known as USB 3.2 gen 2x2. :crazy:

Source: https://www.pcworld.com/article/3344618/usb-32-is-a-branding-nightmare.html

Thanks.

Also, be careful when using "USB 3.2" naming. The people responsible for the naming of USB has renamed USB 3.1...

What used to be known as USB 3 and later renamed to USB 3.1 gen 1 (5Gbps) is now known as USB 3.2 gen 1.
What used to be known as USB 3.1 gen 2 (10Gbps) is now known as USB 3.2 gen 2.
The next version of USB (20Gbps) will be known as USB 3.2 gen 2x2. :crazy:

Source: https://www.pcworld.com/article/3344618/usb-32-is-a-branding-nightmare.html

Yes, I read somewhere that this has been a "rebranding". I'm tempted to say, no, that's not rebranding, that's just confusing! (Much like the GPU scenario a few years back).

I'm holding out hope that USB 4 will actually stop all of this renaming nonsense and finally give Hackintosh owners OOB working, hotplug capable TH3 without the need for custom SSDTs and all the hoops to jump through. Doesn't hurt to dream a little. ;) I'm definitely not buying a new motherboard till all this is sorted out. Probably by 2020 or 21.

Back