Contribute
Register

9th gen Intel CPU (9900K) headless iGPU (UHD630) on z390 (mojave)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Prime X570 Pro
CPU
Ryzen 9 3900X
Graphics
RX 590
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
  • Remove Clover iGPU injection and replaced with WhateverGreen injection in Devices --> Properties.
    • Platform ID = 0x3E980003 for headless 9th-Gen CPU. Only compatible with 10.14.4 and newer.
    • No "device-id" because 10.14.4 natively supports 0x3E98.
@CaseySJ Thank you :)

I'm currently running 10.14.3 on the following system:

PRIME Z390-A
i9 9900K (UHD 630, headless)
XFX Rx 590 FatBoy (flashed with custom vBIOS to circumvent boot issues)
(Lilu 1.3.5, WEG 1.2.7)

I configured the iGPU as headless but I don't get HW acceleration (quicksync/preview) since macOS doesn't recognize the DeviceID I'm currently using. Or it doesn't recognize the 9th gen UHD630 using my current PlatformID (OK for 8th gen only?). Or something else.... I am a bit confused with all these.

AFAIU I should:
- upgrade to 10.14.4
- use Platform ID = 0x3E980003 (not 0x3E920003 anymore)
- use SMBIOS of 2019 27-inches iMac (19,1). However, AFAIK this is not available in clover, yet

Does that sound about right?

I am confused about how precisely I should do all that. In what order?

Can you give me some advice?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Best,
-a-

PS : where did you find that 3e98 platform Id?

Last edited:
Under macOS 10.14.3 you should be able to activate headless mode with the iGPU used only for compute purposes (not for driving a display monitor), as follows:
  • Lilu and WhateverGreen installed preferably in /Library/Extensions
  • AAPL,ig-platform-id = 0x3E920003 or 0x3E910003
  • device-id = 0x3E92 or 0x3E9B
  • SMBIOS = iMac18,3
  • BIOS --> iGPU --> Enabled
  • BIOS --> Initial Display Output --> PCIe Slot 1
However, under macOS 10.14.4, the following settings can be applied:
  • Lilu and WhateverGreen installed preferably in /Library/Extensions
  • AAPL,ig-platform-id = 0x3E980003
  • device-id -- this field can simply be omitted and the system will automatically use 0x3E98.
  • SMBIOS = iMac18,3
  • BIOS --> iGPU --> Enabled
  • BIOS --> Initial Display Output --> PCIe Slot 1
iMac19,x is not yet available. We may need to wait for the next OS update or manually download the iMac19,x special build. But we also need to wait until Clover and/or Clover Configurator are updated for the new SMBIOS.

Thanks a lot :)

Now how do I proceed?
- Do I setup everything right for 10.14.3 and then upgrade to 10.14.4 and then change the settings?
- Or do I change the settings to what they should be for 10.14.4 first and then upgrade from 10.14.3 to 10.14.4?

It seems to me that the 2nd option would be the best choice since I could have 2 different config.plist and chose which one to use from the clover boot menu. But maybe I'm mistaken.

Any advice?

Best,
-a-

Thanks a lot :)

Now how do I proceed?
- Do I setup everything right for 10.14.3 and then upgrade to 10.14.4 and then change the settings?
- Or do I change the settings to what they should be for 10.14.4 first and then upgrade from 10.14.3 to 10.14.4?

It seems to me that the 2nd option would be the best choice since I could have 2 different config.plist and chose which one to use from the clover boot menu. But maybe I'm mistaken.

Any advice?

Best,
-a-
If you're running 10.14.3 right now, then I recommend Option 1 without question. Setup 10.14.3 fully and let it run for a couple of days to ensure a working baseline. Then make a FULL SYSTEM BACKUP, preferably a bootable backup before you even think of 10.14.4!!

@CaseySJ Thank you :)

I'm currently running 10.14.3 on the following system:

PRIME Z390-A
i9 9900K (UHD 630, headless)
XFX Rx 590 FatBoy (flashed with custom vBIOS to circumvent boot issues)
(Lilu 1.3.5, WEG 1.2.7)

I configured the iGPU as headless but I don't get HW acceleration (quicksync/preview) since macOS doesn't recognize the DeviceID I'm currently using. Or it doesn't recognize the 9th gen UHD630 using my current PlatformID (OK for 8th gen only?). Or something else.... I am a bit confused with all these.

View attachment 396582
View attachment 396583

AFAIU I should:
- upgrade to 10.14.4
- use Platform ID = 0x3E980003 (not 0x3E920003 anymore)
- use SMBIOS of 2019 27-inches iMac (19,1). However, AFAIK this is not available in clover, yet

Does that sound about right?

I am confused about how precisely I should do all that. In what order?

Can you give me some advice?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Best,
-a-

PS : where did you find that 3e98 platform Id?
What should I use now on 10.14.5?

Tx
-a-

What should I use now on 10.14.5?

Tx
-a-
Please see the chart under Going the Extra Mile here:
However, you do not need to change your system definition. If using iMac18,3 or Macmini8,1 or anything else, you can continue to use that. Changing sysdef can require you to re-license your applications.

Please see the chart under Going the Extra Mile here:
However, you do not need to change your system definition. If using iMac18,3 or Macmini8,1 or anything else, you can continue to use that. Changing sysdef can require you to re-license your applications.
Tx :)

What does "Specify platformID with WEG" means? Does WEG do it automatically?
Platform ID is set to 0x3E980003 (as recommended on the 1st line of the same cell), right?
How would WEG alter that?

Best,
-a-

Tx :)

What does "Specify platformID with WEG" means? Does WEG do it automatically?
Platform ID is set to 0x3E980003 (as recommended on the 1st line of the same cell), right?
How would WEG alter that?

Best,
-a-
WEG is WhateverGreen. PlatformID is specified in “Devices —> Properties” with the AAPL,ig-platform-id parameter.

WEG does not set platform ID automatically, then macOS does. If you omit platform ID on 10.14.5 with iMac19,1, for example, macOS will default to 0x3E910003 if using the i7-9700K. This is still a usable ID, but it’s not specific to the 9th Coffee Lake processor.

WEG is WhateverGreen. PlatformID is specified in “Devices —> Properties” with the AAPL,ig-platform-id parameter.

WEG does not set platform ID automatically, then macOS does. If you omit platform ID on 10.14.5 with iMac19,1, for example, macOS will default to 0x3E910003 if using the i7-9700K. This is still a usable ID, but it’s not specific to the 9th Coffee Lake processor.

I knew most of that already. My question is I don't understand why the table says:

"Specify platform ID with WEG"

Since PlatformID is specified manually in Devices->Proprieties, as you mentioned.

I knew most of that already. My question is I don't understand why the table says:

View attachment 407938
"Specify platform ID with WEG"

Since PlatformID is specified manually in Devices->Proprieties, as you mentioned.
That’s the same thing. Setting “framebuffer-patch-enable” to 0x01 turns on WEG, and all of the remaining device/properties become parameters that are consumed by WEG to configure various elements of the IGPU.

One thing worth trying is to see whether “framebuffer-patch-enable” is needed if you’re only setting Platform ID.

Because Platform ID can also be specified in Clover (Graphics page) in conjunction with Inject Intel, by saying “Use WEG...” we’re also implying “don’t use Clover injection”.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back