Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
z390 Aorus Pro
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
I'm currently running a 9900K at stock speeds (no overclocking), and I'm having an issue with CPU temps specifically when video exporting (4K H.264 from Adobe Media Encover). I hit temperatures of between 85-90 and it seems like the CPU throttles down (cools, then speeds back up, and then throttles down again). I'm monitoring with HWmonitor, and getting the overheating alarms.

I've been able to run geekbench, and prime95 torture test with temps hitting about mid 70's to 80. High, but fine. But if I do the prime95 small FFT test I get the same problem, overheating CPU (from multiple cores and the whole CPU package)

I've already reseated the cpu cooler once (I'm using the thermal paste that came with the Noctua NH-U12S). I didn't use too much paste. (and when I reseated the cooler it looked like it was spread relatively evenly).

I've also tried doing the video export with the side of the case open (for maximum exhaust), still overheating.

I'm wondering if I need to move to water cooling specifically to deal with the high CPU temps related the video exporting? It seems like video exporting specifically really pushes the processor.

At the same time it seems like lots of people have suggested that the NH-U12S should be able to handle the 9900k just fine, even with a slight overclock.

Any suggestions?? Thanks!

If I do need to switch to water cooler, what's the quietest dual fan cooler that would do the job?

What an awesome CPU ! :)

Checking the Intel Ark shows the TDP spec to be 95watts. That's perfectly within the i7 CPU range, even the i5s and new quad-core i3 that I have (mine is 91watts ). So I don't think cooling it with air is unreasonable. Obviously continuous stress and overclocking makes water-cooling seem more sensible, if noisier than the high-quality Noctuas I am a big fan of (sorry for the pun!).

I agree with @trs96 's suggestion that maybe a cooler with a higher density of aluminium finning might help dissipate the heat better. Though your 5-heatpipe cooler is good, I would look at larger area heatsinks.

I once had a similar Be Quiet heatsink and found it not as good as my much older Zalman CNPS11 (four heat pipes) fitted with a 1200rpm Noctua 120mm fan. It's big and very deep in a "V" formation.

A good quality air cooler is about as expensive as mid-range water-cooling, so I can't recommend one over the other - I just prefer air! :rolleyes:

Thanks for your input @UtterDisbelief and @trs96

I added a second Noctua fan to the cpu cooler. It definitely helps a lot! I'm still close to overheating. I'm not sure what temp the CPU automatically throttles (looks like 85 degrees).

I might try reseating the cpu cooler one more time.

I'm not torn whether or not to get a larger air cooler, or to get a water cooler. I like a quiet machine, but at the same time I'm going to be doing a ton of video exporting on this machine and need it to run cool.

Update: I just set the bios to max CPU fan speed (thinking it just wasn't ramping up). Even with two fans at max, it still overheats. I'm going to try reseating the cooler one more time tonight :/

I've been able to run geekbench, and prime95 torture test with temps hitting about mid 70's to 80. High, but fine. But if I do the prime95 small FFT test I get the same problem, overheating CPU (from multiple cores and the whole CPU package)

To be getting readings from more than one source, I'd suggest you run AIDA64 on a Windows 10 install and compare the numbers you get with that. HWMonitor on a Mac is not perfect in it's temp readings so it would be good to see what you get testing in Windows too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back