i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 590
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Everybody has said that the 9900k is really hot. I believed them all. I resolved to use my 9900k at standard settings. It is still fast, but it was hot and noisy with fans as well. Until I read this

I am still running at 4.7 standard, but the temps dropped by 15C after following the first part of this guide. I will try the overclock in due course, but I am surprised that none of the gurus on Youtube seem to have this down, or I didn't find them.

Idle 32C loaded 80C seems like a great starting point for OC. VCore is now 1.27. The lowest I could get before was 1.31 temps over 90C.

The lesson I learned is that Motherboard makers have to please so many that the Auto is very sloppy, but works. And every chip is different. Also, many people pretend they know everything, but true knowledge, gained by yourself, is a very liberating thing.

Hope this helps some of you :)

Last edited:
Everybody has said that the 9900k is really hot. I believed them all. I resolved to use my 9900k at standard settings. It is still fast, but it was hot and noisy with fans as well. Until I read this

I am still running at 4.7 standard, but the temps dropped by 15C after following the first part of this guide. I will try the overclock in due course, but I am surprised that none of the gurus on Youtube seem to have this down, or I didn't find them.

Idle 32C loaded 80C seems like a great starting point for OC. VCore is now 1.27. The lowest I could get before was 1.31 temps over 90C.

The lesson I learned is that Motherboard makers have to please so many that the Auto is very sloppy, but works. And every chip is different.

Hope this helps some of you :)

I think it all depends on the silicon lottery and how good your CPU is... I did a fair bit of testing on my particular 9900K and my system was not stable with anything below 1.28v. I kept LLC setting at a modest level to avoid extreme overshooting voltages.

The biggest difference to keeping my CPU cool was delidding. I documented my experience here.

Right now, I have my CPU at four cores 5.1GHz/four cores at 5.0GHz @ 1.31v. Idle temps are around 32-35C. Under Prime95 testing, my CPU temp never exceeds 82C (usually 80C). All of this on air cooling (I refuse to use liquid cooling).

I don't have much doubt that I can overclock even further but I do not want my CPU and VRM temps to go higher. I'm extremely comfortable and confident in my current settings for 24/7/365 operation.

My post was for mere mortals, not experts such as yourself:) Delidding is not something I would contemplate.

Update
I tried overclocking to 5.0Ghz but temps soared to 100C. At 4.9 in the high 95C. At 4.8 tolerable 90C. The difference between 4.8Ghz and 4.7Ghz is not great in performance terms, but in terms of noise, it is. I will run at 4.7 with the adaptive settings as it is the coolest I have been able to achieve. Until that is I find the courage to delid as Pastrychef suggests :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back