Contribute
Register

(99% perfect) Sierra 10.12.6 on Thinkpad x1 carbon 5th-gen with dual-boot unchanged Win7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, thank you for the super guide.
I also have this rig and will receive my replacement WiFi/BT card soon (took the same one, BCM94352z, too).

Did you make any progress on your build?

Specifically I am asking about things that did not work at the time of the first post.

Second question, out of curiosity:
Did you try to make High Sierra run on this hardware?
I have tried, sticking loosely to your guide, but replacing diverse patches and modules with high sierra compatible ones, but still
no success, cant make it boot beyond the Lan module initialization, it freezes and gives the panic screen after a short while.

thanks comment. Given currently this machine is my working machine, i didn't try further effort yet - means HDMI audio not work, Handoff not stable, trackpoint unstable...and fear to try High Sierra. :)
would like resume this debug progress shortly and report back here.

Hi chaihaixin,

]Thanks for the instructions.
I have the same machine as you (Processor.. core i7) but with a higher resolution screen
I change the internal SSD to a m.2 sata 3 ssd (ie... not NVME)
The installation of Sierra 10.12.6 worked fine.
However, when i applied the 2018 security update 2, my machine now keeps rebooting
during start up.
Have you encountered this problem???

Regard

bd4utonite2

Last edited:
Hi chaihaixin,

I have the same machine as you (Processor.. core i7) but with a higher resolution screen
However, when i applied the 2018 security update 2, my machine now keeps rebooting
during start up.

Regard

bd4utonite2

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

Hi chaihaixin,

during start up.

Regard

bd4utonite2

no i didn't. actually i switched to a new x1c 5th with i7 and HD620, 10.13.4 works well. Suggest you provide full Problem Report to seek help here.

no i didn't. actually i switched to a new x1c 5th with i7 and HD620, 10.13.4 works well. Suggest you provide full Problem Report to seek help here.

hi Chaihaixi

Thanks for the advice but it is ok. i have successfully installed High Sierra 10.13.4 as well
and it is quite stable

CHeers

bd4utonite2

Last edited:
thanks comment. Given currently this machine is my working machine, i didn't try further effort yet - means HDMI audio not work, Handoff not stable, trackpoint unstable...and fear to try High Sierra. :)
would like resume this debug progress shortly and report back here.

I followed your guide and installed high sierra dual boot with windows 10. It’s running very smoothly. Waiting for the WiFi card. Should be here Tuesday. Thanks for the guide.

chaihaixin, thanks for sharing your experience here!
Regarding to the WiFi card to BCM94352z, I notice it should have 2 cut-ins at the interface (as showing on youtube)::

X1_wifi_card.jpg

But I checked the market, some BCM94352z claim also from Lenovo, but with only one cut-in. like this:
X1_3.jpg

How is yours does it matter?

thanks!

chaihaixin, thanks for sharing your experience here!
Regarding to the WiFi card to BCM94352z, I notice it should have 2 cut-ins at the interface (as showing on youtube)::

View attachment 335631

But I checked the market, some BCM94352z claim also from Lenovo, but with only one cut-in. like this:
View attachment 335632

How is yours does it matter?

thanks!
i carefully choose the one with 2 cut-ins.
Actually mine BCM94352z is DW1560 (from a DELL laptop)
Have no idea whether the one with one cut-in work or not.

Hey there, I'm having the same problem with HDMI audio as you. Were you ever able to fix it?

Hey there, I'm having the same problem with HDMI audio as you. Were you ever able to fix it?
1. change a high-quality HDMI cable ... (don't laugh, do introduce difference)
2. Found thinkpad x1c using eDP rather than LVDS, change HDMI patch
3. carefully follow the wonderful HDMI audio guide
now it seems ok..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back