CPU
i5 4690K
Graphics
Gigabyte GTX 980Ti Windforce
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I just upgraded from a 950 to a 980 ti. The old card was capable of running wow on 4K with about 50fps. Now running the game with the new card with 4K, I am getting pretty much the same performance.

Any idea what could be the reason? The card should be superior. Any reports I can send to understand where the performance issue lies? Or would this be normal considering the game and hardware?

Thanks,
Pave

May be that your CPU isn't able to handle more, but if you run 10.11+ do you have the graphics API set to Metal? (System > Advanced)

If you're still using El Capitan, setting it to Metal can cause a lot of GPU crashes since patch 7.1.5. I heard it's fine on Sierra.

Last edited:
May be that your CPU isn't able to handle more, but if you run 10.11+ do you have the graphics API set to Metal? (System > Advanced)

If you're still using El Capitan, setting it to Metal can cause a lot of GPU crashes since patch 7.1.5. I heard it's fine on Sierra.

That would be a shame, upgrading the CPU & motherboard (thus also memories) is an option, but I would prefer to avoid it.

I am running newest version of Sierra, and the API is set to metal.

I'd also guess that WoW might be CPU limited in OS X. Is it running fine, e.g. does it enter all boost states?

Yes, power management is working, and I can reach the boost states. I would need to have a look at the CPU / GPU usage rates while playing to confirm. Is there any app that shows/tracks these infos?

It's actually quite hard to confirm this, since it's usually just a single thread which is bottlenecking the overall performance. Since it's not bound to a single physical core, you often won't see it by observing the CPU load (per core).

I found it easier to do it the other way around: OC your CPU slightly (by e.g. 10%) and compare performance before and after. If you're CPU bound, the performance should increase almost linearly with CPU clock.

Do you play a melee class? If so thats the cause because melee is cheating, and the FPS gods are punishing are you. Going to go sit my nerf'd warlock in a corner and continue to hide/cry.

Buuuuut on a serious note; that makes no sense. The 980 ti should obliterate your old 950. I've been pondering upgrading my 970 to a 980 ti hybrid as well and this has me worried..

Same settings in game as the old card?

Have you ran any benchmarks (heaven/valley) to see if performance in general is better vs the old card?

I have nothing to compare it to, but this is what I got from valley!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-04 at 18.41.16.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-04 at 18.41.16.png
    85.6 KB · Views: 164
I don't have a full 4k screen, but running mine off the system resolution (LG ultra wide, 3440x1440) on the regular medium settings netted me these scores...

Do you have CUDA installed as well?

Screen Shot 2017-02-04 at 10.14.39 AM.png

When I'm running wow, one step down from the highest settings, I get anywhere from 75 to a capped 100 FPS. There are certain occasions where I will drop to like 50 in some city areas.

Might play around with some of the video settings; I used to run maxed and get around 60-90 FPS, but to be honest I couldn't really tell much of a difference with some of the settings, so I clicked it down one level just to keep my GPU temps happy over those long "I forgot the time" gaming sessions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back