Contribute
Register

9600K/Z390/5700 with HEVC/H264 Enable, but no use of GPU at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know much about RX 5700 + Catalina, maybe RX 5000 series is quite new, not compatible with macOS Catalina

you can try other SMBIOS
iMacPro1,1 (dGPU only)
iMac (dGPU + IGPU) <---- this one should work, macOS should support your 9600K (UHD Graphics 630)

I tried Macpro7.1 iMacpro1.1/19.1/18.1 , none of them are good.

I used to disable iGPU, only with RX5700, not working with HW decoding neither.

I have no idea, RX5700 should work with macOS Catalina or not, you have all the hardware to test it.

If you just want to enable hardware video acceleration, you may make use of the IGPU, choose the iMac SMBIOS

hey. did you try opening handbrake, loading a video, going to the "video" tab and changing the "video Encoder" to a setting with "VideoToolbox" in the name. if your system is truly working correctly, you should see very low CPU usage.

I am using a Vega card, but it wasn't until I started using imacpro1,1 and disabling my iGPU in the bios did my machine start using my graphics card for video encoding.

Hi Guys, I have set up macOS 10.15.2 and everything looks fine.

In Videoproc, both HEVC/H264 looks enabled but In actual any 4k video play and process, GPU(Both UHD630 & 5700) almost never used, only CPU is fully used.

I have tried every thing I could think and re-install 10 times including Macpro7,1 iMac Pro 1,1 & 18,1, still same as no use GPU for 4K video process.

Any idea how should I active GPU usage with high rate?

First if you are using iMac Pro 1,1 you would not have the IGPU enabled, second it might very well that you need a dummy kext that tells the HEVC to use the navi card. But from reading below it looks like it just works.

@bruce5849 follow this thread:

I have a RX5700xt, Aorus PRO. Thanks to a lot of patience with @itwas and pastrychef, I was able to get the HW Encoding working.

In the end, I made 3 changes to my config: Enable iGPU, changed to SMBIOS to 19,1 and added Lilu & WTG

@bruce5849 follow this thread:

I have a RX5700xt, Aorus PRO. Thanks to a lot of patience with @itwas and pastrychef, I was able to get the HW Encoding working.

In the end, I made 3 changes to my config: Enable iGPU, changed to SMBIOS to 19,1 and added Lilu & WTG

Same as Enable iGPU, changed to SMBIOS to 19,1 and added Lilu & WTG
Same spec as me, but no hardware encording,
how did you add Lilu & WTG?

Attachments

• Snipaste_2020-01-09_11-52-24.png
    Snipaste_2020-01-09_11-52-24.png
    10.7 MB · Views: 46
  • Snipaste_2020-01-09_11-56-33.png
    Snipaste_2020-01-09_11-56-33.png
    11.6 MB · Views: 45
Same as Enable iGPU, changed to SMBIOS to 19,1 and added Lilu & WTG
Same spec as me, but no hardware encording,
how did you add Lilu & WTG?

I added them to /EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other

check out the info pastry chef sent me too. that might have cleaned up a few things too.
Dumb question, but did you tackle and USB issues first?

Here's my clover directory, if it helps.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    3.3 MB · Views: 49
I added them to /EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other

check out the info pastry chef sent me too. that might have cleaned up a few things too.
Dumb question, but did you tackle and USB issues first?

Here's my clover directory, if it helps.

Same as me, but no lucky for HW encoding even it showed enable in VideoProc and VDADecoderchecker.
In actual 4K play and process, not use both iGPU and dGPU, only use CPU.....

I do not have any issue with USB 2.0 or 3.0.

Attachments

• Snipaste_2020-01-09_12-15-22.png
    Snipaste_2020-01-09_12-15-22.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 74
Same as me, but no lucky for HW encoding even it showed enable in VideoProc and VDADecoderchecker.
In actual 4K play and process, not use both iGPU and dGPU, only use CPU.....

I do not have any issue with USB 2.0 or 3.0.

I'm no expert, but I looked at the EFI you posed and you have both USBInjectall and SSDT files.
- I'd probably delete both and use Hackintool to create a USBPorts.kext.

I think at one point, I also moved from virtualSMC to FakeSMC

Not sure if HEVCEEnabler helps. I don't have it.

If you're running the same board, I didn't use GernericUSBXHCI.kext - not needed I think.

Switching over to your UEFI directory...I think there are multiple memory EFI's....I removed them all and just have OcQuirks-4.

Again, no expert, but seems like a lot of files...I like to keep it simple and streamlined. My guess there's a conflict somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back