Motherboard
ASRock X299 TaiChi XE
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
RX 580
[Sabertooth X99] i7-5820K, 32GB, GTX950 / Haswell-E El Capitan 10.11.1

View attachment 165325

Hi, this is my first public build / guide. The system is 95% working, so I would really appreciate help with the last 5%. If anything's direly missing in this guide, please let me know.

Components
Casing: Fractal Design Define R5
PSU: BeQuiet! Pure Power L8 530W CM
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth TUF X99
Processor: Intel Core i7-5820K
Memory: 2x 16GB (2x8GB) Crucial Ballistix Sport BLS2C8G4D240FSA
Graphics: Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX950 2GB WindForce GV-N950WF2OC-2GD
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
HDD: 2x Toshiba 4TB 64MB cache MD04ACA400

Others:
FireWire: Dawicontrol DC-FW800 PCIe (1x FW400, 2x FW800)
Thunderbolt: ASUS ThunderboltEX DUAL
WiFi: TP-Link TL-WDN4800
BlueTooth: Ewent Micro USB Bluetooth Receiver Class 2
Cooling: Corsair Hydro H100i GTX

Installation Notes

Make sure to follow the appropriate guide for Yosemite or El Capitan.

UEFI settings: Nothing much to change here. Of course disable the standards (VT-d, secure boot, etc.). I also disabled the Serial Port because I don’t deem it necessary to be on, and I’m considering disabling USB3.1 because it’s not supported and may lead to the issues described below.

The required bootflags pre-install are:
Code:
dart=0 -v npci=0x3000 nv_disable=1 cpus=1

You must follow this guide and add test2.efi to your Clover folder in order to start OS X with more than one PCI-E device connected. This is apparently a problem with some/all X99 motherboards and a load of PCI-E devices, about memory allocation troubles.

I’m using a total of four PCI-E devices, now all (partially) functioning: GPU, TB, FW, WiFi.

The required post-install flags are:
Code:
dart=0 npci=0x3000 nv_drv=1

Of course after installing the NVIDIA web driver.

For audio: I didn’t use Piker or Toleda’s patch, because I was too late after trying something else, and had trouble with getting the native AppleHDA.kext to work again, believe it or not. So I installed the latest VoodooHDA and all seems fine. This may turn out to be a problem because the system is fully built for audio editing, so I may reinstall at some point to patch the ALC1150 chipset properly.

What doesn’t work (HELP!)

We are working with FireWire audio systems, and the only way to not have the system crash is to first start OS X, then plug the FireWire cable, and then start the audio hardware. Any other combination the rig will crash and reload, or even start at black screen and that’s it. Could this be related to using VoodooHDA rather than using a modern patch?

There are some yet to be defined issues with USB external drives, which make the system panic. Is this an El Cap bug, or rather something I should edit / remove a kext for? I will give a more specific description of the problem once it becomes available.

Sleep doesn’t work properly, no matter how many different darkwake options I tried. The system goes into deep sleep, but then reboots at wake. Could this be related to the USB3.1 drives activated yet only giving power to devices and not interacting with them, as they are as of yet unsupported by Apple?.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, to tune this mofo to it’s maximum.

PS: This is a crosspost from here because I figured it's not the help section, but I thought of posting as a near-complete guide first.

Use any fakeCPUID for i7-5820K ? J tested Asus X99-A/USB3.1 and no possibility to get max Turbo OC. Sleep don't work too. Spend three days testing and can't get full CPU speed. J think that is problem with new Asus X99 motherboards with 3.1 USB onboard on OS X 10.11. Maybe BIOS settings.

No more X99 Asus motherboards J change this on Gigabyte X99 UD4.

Use any fakeCPUID for i7-5820K ? J tested Asus X99-A/USB3.1 and no possibility to get max Turbo OC. Sleep don't work too. Spend three days testing and can't get full CPU speed. J think that is problem with new Asus X99 motherboards with 3.1 USB onboard on OS X 10.11. Maybe BIOS settings.

No more X99 Asus motherboards J change this on Gigabyte X99 UD4.
Did you try with nullcpumanagement kext? Is it Asus's fault you can't run OSX? If you think it's a problem with USB 3,1 disable it.

I did nothing special for the 5820K. It's supported in El Cap with Clover, and will be recognized as a Xeon. No VoodooTSync required either. But yeah, Sleep and probably power management isn't working too well.

Of course it's not ASUS' fault, but Gigabyte proves more solid in most cases.

Clover support Haswell -E but on El Capitan CPU speed is about 15%- 20% lower than in Yosemite !. On max load CPU jump from 1.2 GHz, 2.2 GHz to 3.3 GHz (or to 4.5 GHz OC) . Never get decent OC benchmark like 27000 and more. That Fake CPUID 0x0306E0 is necessary.
But on Asus this Fake CPU ID don't work correctly. CPU speed is up to 3.3 GHz but J can't get OC over 3.3 GHz. J generated SSDT and nothing.

Yeah it seems it didn't accept my BIOS overclock @ 4.4GHz either. Can OS X still deny the UEFI clock frequency though? I recall OS X showing lower frequencies whilst running on higher ones as well.

So to talk about my three problems, is there anyone with an idea in this regard?

New motherboard and new full power )

geekbench.png

For full speed USB 3.0 J use USB Injector with vanilla kext method You can see post on Insanely forum.

bombardier, how many PCI-E devices are you running, and did you need anything to get the X99 board running properly with multiple PCI-E devices?

My list:
GPU
FW
TB
WiFi

New motherboard and new full power )

View attachment 166532

For full speed USB 3.0 J use USB Injector with vanilla kext method You can see post on Insanely forum.

WOW! Impressive result. :clap:
What changes did you do to reach it?
Did you install an SSDT?
Did you overclock the CPU?

I overclocked my i7-5820K on my Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1 and I changed the FakeCPUID (0x0306E0) but I needed to have NullCPUPowerManagement.kext otherwise Mac doesn't boot. On El Capitan I was stuck at 3.3 GHz.
After changing FakeCPUID to 0x0306F2 overclock seems to work and i could remove NullCPUPowerManagement.kext. I overclocked my CPU at 4.5 GHz but multi-core speed in GeekBench is very low and unstable, it goes from about 17000 to 22000 without any changes to the settings. :|

WOW! Impressive result. :clap:
What changes did you do to reach it?
Did you install an SSDT?
Did you overclock the CPU?

I overclocked my i7-5820K on my Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1 and I changed the FakeCPUID (0x0306E0) but I needed to have NullCPUPowerManagement.kext otherwise Mac doesn't boot. On El Capitan I was stuck at 3.3 GHz.
After changing FakeCPUID to 0x0306F2 overclock seems to work and i could remove NullCPUPowerManagement.kext. I overclocked my CPU at 4.5 GHz but multi-core speed in GeekBench is very low and unstable, it goes from about 17000 to 22000 without any changes to the settings. :|
Try 0x0306A0 and SSDT without null.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back