Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Sooooo... I was just finishing a part list and getting my orders compiled for a new system and I find out that the new 8th Generation of Intel's iCore line is dropping in October. Naturally, I slammed the brakes on my orders in hopes that perhaps these will be supported. And even if not, they'll probably drive a small price drop in the Sky Lake generation.

MSI already announced a couple (z370's) boards as well. So I know I'll be waiting two weeks and seeing what shakes out.

Any educated guesses on this news and/or support?

Here's some links and a breakdown.

http://wccftech.com/intel-core-i7-8700k-review/
http://wccftech.com/intel-8th-gen-coffee-lake-desktop-processors-official/
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1186...ation-coffee-lake-hex-core-desktop-processors

Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 18.47.47.png

Apple has not released or even announced a Coffee Lake Mac. So, you'll probably have to use a special FakeCPUID parameter setting like we did when Kaby Lake was release. However, since we're not telepathic, we'll have to wait and see.

A few 'Coffee Lake' desktop CPUs have finally dropped.
  • Core i5-8400 $190
  • Core i5-8600K $260
  • Core i7-8700K $380

This 8th generation looks like a good upgrade ( I am on the i5 2500k). There is something new at least, finally! =D

8700K looks like a beast of a chip

Looks like the only way to use these new CPUs is to spoof them as Kaby Lake...

Does anyone know if macOS will still utilize all of the cores and threads in the new CPUs or will it limit them to the same cores and threads like whatever you're spoofing it as?
Not until Apple markets a Coffee Lake Mac.

Not until Apple markets a Coffee Lake Mac.
.. or someone gives it a try.. coffee lake and z370 are both very similar to kaby lake and z270.. spoofing could just work fine.. interesting times ;).. can't wait for our early adopters here.

.. or someone gives it a try.. coffee lake and z370 are both very similar to kaby lake and z270.. spoofing could just work fine.. interesting times ;).. can't wait for our early adopters here.
Me, too.

I am thinking there might be a 8700K in my future. I now do a lot of 3D and my old hackintosh is showing its age. I have an eBay 3.46 12-core Mac Pro that I put together for $1100 as a render box, so any future hackintosh need to beat the 12-core. I am thinking I can sell the Mac Pro to finance a new hackintosh. An overclocked 8700k might just be the right balance of performance and cost.

I am thinking there might be a 8700K in my future. I now do a lot of 3D and my old hackintosh is showing its age. I have an eBay 3.46 12-core Mac Pro that I put together for $1100 as a render box, so any future hackintosh need to beat the 12-core. I am thinking I can sell the Mac Pro to finance a new hackintosh. An overclocked 8700k might just be the right balance of performance and cost.
Depends upon your application software...if it can take advantage of 12 core or more in processors. Most of the rendering apps will have a section in their user manual or on their web site on the limits of number of cores/threads their apps can use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back