Contribute
Register

8700k + RX 580 + Asus Z370

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick test shows that you are right. Without iGPU H.265/HEVC export is painfully slow and utilize CPU cores. Even RX560 was 50% loaded.

And no difference in H.264 export.

So I'm not that crazy ;)

So I'm not that crazy ;)

You are not. I have read godzillion information about Hackintoshes for a last 3 month, and newer heard that you don't need to enable iGPU acceleration when using RX or Vega cards.

You are not. I have read godzillion information about Hackintoshes for a last 3 month, and newer heard that you don't need to enable iGPU acceleration when using RX or Vega cards.

The sapphire pulse rx580 is officialy supported by apple. How do you enable the iGPU if you use a real apple mac pro like the 2010 or 2012 and u swap the videocard for the officialy supported rx580 ?. do they only use software encoding ?

The sapphire pulse rx580 is officialy supported by apple. How do you enable the iGPU if you use a real apple mac pro like the 2010 or 2012 and u swap the videocard for the officialy supported rx580 ?. do they only use software encoding ?

Everything should work fine without hardware acceleration from the CPU side. You don’t have to enable it, if you don’t want to. And Mac Pro and iMac Pro is an excellent example. My hack works fine too.

But what is the point to go eGPU only, if real tasks shows that this config performs slower? People want to enable hardware acceleration to have a performance boost in certain task. That is how macOS works with hardware today.

Software encoding sounds realistic. It’s explains height CPU usage during video playback and exporting. Mac Pro and iMac Pro has a lot of cores for that :) And iMac Pro is a custom combination of Xeon and Vega. We don't know how it works under the hood.

Last edited:
I repeat, if you can share the setting you used, I can tell you how much time do I need.
The sample should be the "Sony: Camping In Nature HDR".

Just tried with the following settings:
View attachment 354453

4m and 6 second. Background render disabled.

Just I little update about this benchmark.

By running a GeekBench test, I noticed that my multicore score was under 21.000 points. The CPU was stock and the RAM overclocked from 2.666MHz to 3.000MHz and in "Relax OC mode". I did some changes and with the current setup:
- i7-8700K overclocked, with all cores at 5.0GHz - no delid (which of course is afflicted to thermal throttling and goes down to 4.6/4.7GHz - 98° under heavy loads) - VCore auto (which is always around 1.3V) but with a Kraken X62
- 16GB DDR4 RAM overclocked from 2.666MHz to 3.000MHz in "Performance mode"
I just need 2m and 27s to export the video. No thermal throttling while using and exporting in FCPX.

I also tried with my 15inch MBP w/TouchBar & TouchD from late 2016 (base model) and it needs 4m and 24s.
iGPU and dGPU were used both on the MBP and on the Hackintosh at max speed.

You guys. I figured it out. I finally managed to install Mojave to my Samsung 860 EVO M.2 SATA SSD. I followed a relatively straightforward guide. For now, my Hackintosh is running just the 8700k with iGPU enabled. I bought a eGPU to use my RX 580 with my MacBook so that I can just have performance without having to tinker around all the time.

Back to the hack. Soooo I installed, everything is working: audio, wifi, bluetooth, iCloud and all its services. So I'm getting excited. I want to use this Mojave Hack as a server. So I shutdown and plug in all of my hard drives. The M.2 SATA took up one SATA lane, so I plugged in 5 of my remaining HDDs to the other SATA ports. Tried to boot aaandddd: allocation error! Has something to do with mounting and mapping the drives. I get the allocation error right after selecting my "Mac HD" for boot in clover (right after the end randomseed). Any ideas as how to solve this?

EDIT: Nevermind spoke too soon. In my effort to figure out which SATA ports were causing the issue, I caused the allocation error to return regardless of which hard drive is plugged in. I'm thinking either its a RAM issue or a SATA issue. I had mapped my RAM in config because I found out that some ASUS boards need things to be mapped and after doing that, that's when I was able to install. I think it has something to do with my RAM, but when I installed windows, I never ran into this issue.

EDIT2: Spoke too soon again? I got it to work. All HDDs working booting off the M.2 SATA SSD. It seemed kinda really random that it decided to work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back