Contribute
Register

8700k + RX 580 + Asus Z370

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with this statement. Apple is definitely using some kind of hardware acceleration on the iMac Pro. Maybe it's custom Xeon with Quick Sync, or they are using decode/encode logic in AMD's Vega, called UVD and VCE.

But I never heard that this is a case for RX580 or other cards from iMac. The same time people are complaining about H264 encoding on iMac Pro, because usual iMac with Quick Sync do it faster. So enabling hardware acceleration is a good idea.
OK sure but every time I turn on iGPU Multi-monitor in my setup, literally nothing works. I get kernel issues or runtime allocation issues. With the multi monitor disabled I am at least able to boot/install. I have tried so many different configurations at this point. Even people who have my exact motherboard and CPU. I'm starting to thing its some other issue, maybe RAM.

If I disable iGPU, I can boot but I have freezing issues unless if I use the correct combination of swapID/WE/Lilu etc. to get it to work. And that just seems contrary to what other people are able to achieve with my same setup. I literally don't understand how people have gotten this to work so easily

OK sure but every time I turn on iGPU Multi-monitor in my setup, literally nothing works. I get kernel issues or runtime allocation issues. With the multi monitor disabled I am at least able to boot/install. I have tried so many different configurations at this point. Even people who have my exact motherboard and CPU. I'm starting to thing its some other issue, maybe RAM.

If I disable iGPU, I can boot but I have freezing issues unless if I use the correct combination of swapID/WE/Lilu etc. to get it to work. And that just seems contrary to what other people are able to achieve with my same setup. I literally don't understand how people have gotten this to work so easily

I think it can depend on the SMBIOS option. When you set something like iMac18.3, macOS Mojave will use iGPU. If you set iMac Pro, it will try to youse eGPU for hardware acceleration. But I'm using iMac18.3, and my RX560 fully load while H264 export.

Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 10.51.26 PM.png

Btw, I don't use swapID and everything works great. Check my build, hope it will help you.

So youre saying you don't need iGPU enabled to get hardware acceleration? It will work with just the RX 580? I had this setup installed prior to all of this but I was getting freezing issues when I opened up the Photos app (cursor would move, nothing else would respond), which is why I tried getting iGPU enabled and working with Mojave to prevent the freezing issue. Maybe something else in my CLOVER was causing the freezing issue?

You need iGPU to hardware acceleration. At 90% they're getting just software acceleration for HEVC, which works but very slowly.

I'm not confused about QuickSync. I never talked about it.

Similar situation with playing Sony Camp 4K Demo.mp4 with QuickTime: CPU is idle, RX560 is 50%+ loaded, iGPU 30%+ loaded. So Apple is using hardware acceleration from AMD for sure. But iGPU is also in use.

Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 11.24.18 PM.png

Similar situation with playing Sony Camp 4K Demo.mp4 with QuickTime: CPU is idle, RX560 is 50%+ loaded, iGPU 30%+ loaded. So Apple is using hardware acceleration from AMD for sure. But iGPU is also in use.

View attachment 354563

It will use iGPU only when needed, like for H.265/HEVC. If you have an HEVC video taken from your iPhone and stored in iCloud, try to export it via Photo App. You'll see that the iGPU starts to work at 1.2GHz (max speed).
If your iGPU when used doesn't reach 1.2GHz, there's a fix also for that (you can find it in the topic related).

It will use iGPU only when needed, like for H.265/HEVC. If you have an HEVC video taken from your iPhone and stored in iCloud, try to export it via Photo App. You'll see that the iGPU starts to work at 1.2GHz (max speed).
If your iGPU when used doesn't reach 1.2GHz, there's a fix also for that (you can find it in the topic related).

True. It often reaches 1.2GHz.

I will try to disable iGPU now. Will write my results.

Quick test shows that you are right. Without iGPU H.265/HEVC export is painfully slow and utilize CPU cores. Even RX560 was 50% loaded.

And no difference in H.264 export.

View attachment 354563

What is this monitor software u use ? (the dark one)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back