CPU
i7-10700
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Just upgraded Z77 i7-3770K system from Mohave to Catalina. My overclocked to 3.8ghz Hack now seems locked at 800mhz (x8.0). It runs nice and cool, but ummm. Any ideas what to check first?

edit: Oops, I thought I had relocated my kexts from /L/E to the EFI location. I doubt they work there in Catalina. I suppose I have to do the reboot - disable csr - reboot - copy files - reboot - enable csr - reboot dance now?

Last edited:
So I killed csr and got Lilu/whatevergreen installed. It's still very slow (800mhz) and my core temps are way low. Is there specific guidance here for overclocking Catalina? I had followed the guidance for my Z77 and Mohave was clocking faster. HWMonitorSMC2 doesn't seem to even tell me the clock speed. And none of the kexts in the Catalina Multibeast patch SATA so they don't appear as generic for me. I'm generally functional on Catalina now but less so than Mohave.

What is the consequence of not re-enabling csr, and do I even want to?

Last edited:
I blew away the EFI files and re-bootstrapped with MultiBeast. Now I have 3.5Ghz, but NO overclock. The SATA chip still says Generic. And BTW it never drops below 3.5ghz either now. It ranges from 3.5 to 3.6 and never varies from that.

edit:
I loaded optimized defaults and followed the guidance on KernelXCPM and PluginType. This gave me an 800mhz speed. If I delete those properties and set all CPU speeds in BIOS to Auto (EIST also auto) I get speed stepping. If I change any CPU speeds in BIOS it locks at 3.5 ghz. This all seems to be specific to Catalina because it worked on Mohave. So I guess I just have to wait for the devs to figure out how to get overclocking back with Catalina.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back