Contribute
Register

€800 euro build, is this any good ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
wwwpuntoit said:
Thank you samisnake,
In fact I have been recommended to get ryzen 5 instead, any oppinion if it’ll work fine for hackintosh?

wwwpuntoit said:
I have seen videos about hackintoshes running on ryzen 5’s, why do you say : “no way”? Just trying to understand :banghead:

as pilgrim posted, amd cpus arent supported on this site.
however, as you posted, there are people out there on the internet running macos on ryzen systems.

the reason for that is in pilgrims quote. this site aims to go for a more 'vanilla' or clean install approach, one which attempts to follow apple's build design resulting in the least fixes needed to make the system run. with most fully supported by apple off the shelf intel based parts these days, all that is needed to get a system working is the bootloader (clover) and fakesmc (emulates the smc on real macs), then any audio/lan kexts if necessary.

going for an amd system means additional fixes, custom kernels, custom system kexts. what that means to you as a user is that any time apple release an update, youll have to go and fix those again.

this site caters to a wide range of user ability, from hackintosh novices to experienced users, so while more seasoned users might be adept to solving those issues, less experienced users may not. so in order to promote the 'best' user experience with mac os, this site only allows use of intel cpus and motherboard chipsets. if apple were to switch to amd based systems (fingers crossed) then we would see full compatibility and this site would follow suit.

if you are determined to use a ryzen system with mac os, then i would suggest researching on a site like insanelymac.com.
personally, i wont use an amd system with mac os (until apple if ever use amd, as im an amd fan), as it seems an excercise in futility.

hope that helps explain better

as pilgrim posted, AMD CPUs aren't supported on this site.
However, as you posted, there are people out there on the internet running macOS on Ryzen systems.

The reason for that is in P1LGRIM's quote. This site aims to go for a more 'vanilla' or clean install approach, one which attempts to follow Apple's build design resulting in the least fixes needed to make the system run. With most fully supported by Apple off the shelf Intel based parts these days, all that is needed to get a system working is the bootloader (clover) and fakesmc (emulates the SMC on real Macs), then any audio/LAN kexts if necessary.

Going for an AMD system means additional fixes, custom kernels, custom system kexts. what that means to you as a user is that any time apple release an update, you'll have to go and fix those again.

This site caters to a wide range of user ability, from hackintosh novices to experienced users, so while more seasoned users might be adept to solving those issues, less experienced users may not. so in order to promote the 'best' user experience with macOS, this site only allows use of Intel CPUs and motherboard chipsets. If Apple were to switch to AMD based systems (fingers crossed), then we would see full compatibility and this site would follow suit.

if you are determined to use a Ryzen system with macOS, then I would suggest researching on a site like insanelymac.com.
Personally, I wont use an AMD system with mac os (until Apple if ever use AMD, as I'm an AMD fan), as it seems an exercise in futility.

Hope that helps explain better.
Yes very clear now, thanks..
In the parts list I didn't see any Skylake CPU's...is there another list somewhere else of parts that would be considered compatible ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Great, thanks for sharing this list...so I assume a kabylske build would go well with an older gpu from this list and it would not give compatibility issues?

Put the name/model of the GPU you are considering into search and read up on how well it works in Sierra / High Sierra.

Put the name/model of the GPU you are considering into search and read up on how well it works in Sierra / High Sierra.
:thumbup:

I3 8100 + Msi z370 a pro seems a good bang for the buck over i5 7400.....

indeed it does.

so, your options atm. go with older used hardware, which isnt much lower in performance and has full compatibility (skylake), or new fully supported expensive last gen hardware (kaby lake), or go for newer 'cheaper' latest hardware which isnt fully supported (coffee lake).

i would go for the first or last option, but the last option most likely as it seems pretty easy to get running and will eventually be fully supported.

I would agree on some points samisnake has risen, however, keep in mind not only the performance of Maxwell cards (GTX 9xx) but also the power draw.

GTX 970 should be generally OK with a 500W PSU and a locked-ratio i5 CPU. But it generally draws more power and thus generates more heat. I didn't see a case in there, but think about how you're going to move air around it as well!

Also, instead of i5-7400 - have a look at i5-7500 instead. The price difference is negligible and you're getting 4x 400MHz more! It's more than well worth to spend 10 extra euros on that!

indeed it does.

so, your options atm. go with older used hardware, which isnt much lower in performance and has full compatibility (skylake), or new fully supported expensive last gen hardware (kaby lake), or go for newer 'cheaper' latest hardware which isnt fully supported (coffee lake).

i would go for the first or last option, but the last option most likely as it seems pretty easy to get running and will eventually be fully supported.
I’ll have a look at the support for coffee lake in the forum I don’t want to get too much funky with setup and updates honestly....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back