Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
hi every1

im always happy to get advice from this site.., i have a quick question this time.., how easy or difficult is it to build an 8 core sandy bridge hackintosh similar to th 1 used here... http://vimeo.com/15968061 can th customac build 4 be modified to an 8core machine plus will it be stable ?

thanx in advance

customac build 4 IS an 8 core machine... not xeon core but i7 2600k, is 4 core 8 threads like the one in the video you posted (the one in the middle)

That looks like the two Mac Pros in the video are, respectively, an 8-core (2 x 4-core cpus) system and a 12-core (2 x 6-core cpus) system.

The answer is that building something like this (2x CPUs) is significantly more difficult than building a single-CPU system. For one, you have to use Xeon processors, which are much, much more expensive. You need a significantly more expensive motherboard. And since so many fewer people build dual-CPU hackintosh systems vs single-CPU... there's much, much less support.

That said, there are a handful of folks who have documented how to set up a dual-CPU hackintosh system, both here and at other forums. The cost advantage over a real Mac Pro gets slimmer with dual-CPU systems.

The more involved answer is that something like a 2600K (let alone the next-gen CPUs around the corner) will beat the 8-core system from the video you posted in all, or almost all, benchmarks and uses. Particularly if you overclock. Not only is the 2600K a newer generation, more efficient, chip, but it's 4 cores can act as if they are 8 cores... giving you an advantage in the small set of tasks that actually use this ability (like video/audio editing, VM, and benchmarks).

Even my i7-950 based system, overclocked to 4 Ghz, beats the 8-core Mac Pro from the video you posted. The 2600K SB systems are probably 20 to 30% faster than my system at identical clocks-- and can be overclocked 20 to 30% further than my system at moderate voltages/heats.

So if you need 8 threads, consider a current 2600K-based system for MUCH less than a Mac Pro or dual-CPU hackintosh. You'll save a ton of money and a ton of headache-- and there are tons of people using 2600K based systems, so you'll find a much more lively community. That, or wait for the 6-core 3xxx based systems coming around the corner.

Or if you're set on all those cores... go balls out, get two CPUs. But be prepared to have to really work to get and keep the system up to date and stable.

Good luck!

THANK U BOTH FOR UR QUICK Responses

Justruss, thanx for tht detailed explanation I'm very new to hackintosh building.., bt kinda knew it wud be costly & tht i wud probably have very little support.., seeing as it is ther are not that many Dual -CPU builds si i guess i will be sticking to build #4....

you also mentioned" the next-gen CPUs around the corner) will beat the 8-core system from the video you posted in all, or almost all, benchmarks and uses. Particularly if you overclock. Not only is the 2600K a newer generation, more efficient, chip, but it's 4 cores can act as if they are 8 cores... giving you an advantage in the small set of tasks that actually use this ability (like video/audio editing, VM, and benchmarks)....That, or wait for the 6-core 3xxx based systems coming around the corner.

Anyway a 6-core 3xxx based system wud still be a sandy bridge right...? and how soon is around th corner..., 2012....? lord knows im fed up of this S**t pc

anyway thanx for all your help & advice really appreciate wat u are doing for others hack on hacker

aviat72 said:
Six Core Sandy Bridge - E systems are out within a few weeks.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cor ... ,3026.html

The pricing for the three CPUS is around $300 (4 core), $600 (6 core), and $1000 (6 core Extreme)

The only caveat is that until Apple releases machines using these processors... hackintosh support is an open question.

justruss said:
aviat72 said:
Six Core Sandy Bridge - E systems are out within a few weeks.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cor ... ,3026.html

The pricing for the three CPUS is around $300 (4 core), $600 (6 core), and $1000 (6 core Extreme)

The only caveat is that until Apple releases machines using these processors... hackintosh support is an open question.

Very true.

I would also add that specifically for virtualization...using the i7-2600 gives you the advantage of VT-d support for Fusion if you are looking at a killer virtualization machine. VT-d gives you direct hardware access...think nested ESXi5 VMs to run 64 bit VMs inside of Fusion for a vCloud lab...or a lab for vSphere 5 with HA and DRS support with 2 ESXi servers nested. You DONT get that with the K...so if you don't overclock the non-K versions give you the same die as E class Xeons.

So for those that think the K is better JUST because it can overclock...you might want to research the differences rather than assuming they are the same core. Truth is...they are not.

hi

thanx to everybody for their 2 cents...., really appreciate all the help i can get.., u guys rock :headbang: :thumbup: .., i'll keep looking around on th site & other sources.., maybe wait a bit for th release of th new E-systems.., im sure it wont be tht long b4 sum1 gets their hands on it..., also very curious as to how well it will perform compared to th 2600k...,
thanx again for all th help...

greetings from Botswana

back again after a bit of googling it seems the E systems are starting to available i just saw on a site vrzone

The pricing for the three CPUS is around $550 (4 core), $999 (6 core), and $1200(6 core Extreme)
these seem a bit pricey or is it just me..,? bt then again im so new to this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back