Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> 6900 XT not as smooth as RX 570? Driver Issue?

i removed WhateverGreen.ket and tried to encode HEVC — FCPX encodes 30% of the file quickly (Istat menu shows up to 1,3 MHZ on GPU) and then whole system freezes.

Have you tried using NootRX.kext in place of WhateverGreen.kext to see if that makes any difference?

The latest kext can be downloaded by navigating to the NootRX Github site linked above, and then going to the 'Actions' Tab. You then need to select a commit that contains a folder named 'Artefacts'.

You need to be signed in to Github to download the folder, which contains a Debug and Release folder for NootRX.kext 1.0.0. All kext versions are numbered the same, so you need to use the commit number to see which is currently the latest.

As of today 19:30 Hrs GMT on 15/12/2023 (15th December 2023) this is the current commit to use. It may change tomorrow or tonight.

I am using this kext on my AMD X570/Ryzen 9 3900X/RX 6700 XT system without any issues.

I don't use FCPX so can't comment on whether the Encode HEVC process will complete without your system freezing.

I have black screen with NootRX.kext. I do not think that it supports 6900xt, because this card has native macos support.

NootRX.kext supports RX6900/6950 & XT variants, as well as other Navi II graphics cards.

The black screen might be caused by the use of any DeviceProperties in your config.plist. Try removing them and see if that helps.

Maybe it's not relevant to answer the original post right now, but still maybe someone requires to read this. The problem with lags may occur because of:
1. Suboptimal power management setting in BIOS. Power management is extremely important, especially for any kind of PU (GPU or CPU). If your settings are set to certain values it may cause problem in such system as macOS, cause it prefers to decide on it's own what to do with your hardware and hard setting can be a problem in some situations, at least some setting related to GPU - especially. That's my experience. "Normal" options in BIOS aren't equal to "Auto" or stock suggested options that are written in BIOS and behave differently. Only Auto options related with clocks and power management make it possible for macOS to rule over your power wisely as it see fits.
2. Problem with certain macOS release, configuration of your bootloader, vendor of AMD. I didn't saw what vendor author is using, but the best option is definitely Sapphire for macOS.
3. I didn't saw if author really determined that the problem occurs only with this GPU and there is no problem with his build with another GPU. Didn't read the whole thread. If the problem occurs with any GPU with his build, then I can suggest to force DDR profile in BIOS instead of "Auto" options or extreme profiles, since it can lead to some very weird kernel panics or behaviour.
4. Also I didn't noticed what exactly animations are suffering from lags. Maybe it's more related to CPU/IGPU enabling. I remind you that original macs doesn't have a possibility to "disable in BIOS" IGPU, so Apple Developers in some cases count that IGPU is always enabled and they use it in software development.

Hope that this can help someone to start diagnose their hackintoshes with the similar symptoms.

hey @Red32 thanks for checking in

Yeah, this thread had data mixed so I made a new one with all the info more clear and direct - if anyone has a chance check it out

RE: 3, yes it does happen with other GPUs. you recommend changing DDR profile, as in RAM? I did run into this with XMP on or stock settings

4. It's possible, but on iMacPro1,1 there is no iGPU, and all is run through the dGPU

Back