Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. eMac
  3. iMac
  4. LC
  5. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My once 100% stable system now has developed an issue after I upgraded my GPU to an EVGA Geforce GTX 660 Ti SC 3GB. Whenever I try and watch an embedded streaming video on sites like YouTube, IGN, ZDNet etc...all I get is a messed up picture that is nothing more than a garbled pink image with broken text playing at high speed for about 3 seconds, then my system will freeze.

I receive no Kernel Panic, no problem logged in console, can still hear audio, and I can move the mouse pointer but the screen is frozen and I have to do a hard reset. I can however quickly close the browser window before the 3 seconds and all is good. What is odd about the situation is that not all streaming videos are affected; The 30 second add before the main videos always play fine. All anime and adult sites I tested work fine also.

I have tried changing browsers to no effect. All of my drivers/BIOS are up to date, as well as Chameleon (r2165) and Flash. I have even applied the OpenCl patch, and double checked the nVidia kexts to make sure my card's device ID is present. Playing movies (avi, mov, mp4 etc) from the oldest of QT movies to full 1080p HD, all work great!

Questions? Comments? Suggestions?!

My once 100% stable system now has developed an issue after I upgraded my GPU to an EVGA Geforce GTX 660 Ti SC 3GB. Whenever I try and watch an embedded streaming video on sites like YouTube, IGN, ZDNet etc...all I get is a messed up picture that is nothing more than a garbled pink image with broken text playing at high speed for about 3 seconds, then my system will freeze.

I receive no Kernel Panic, no problem logged in console, can still hear audio, and I can move the mouse pointer but the screen is frozen and I have to do a hard reset. I can however quickly close the browser window before the 3 seconds and all is good. What is odd about the situation is that not all streaming videos are affected; The 30 second add before the main videos always play fine. All anime and adult sites I tested work fine also.

I have tried changing browsers to no effect. All of my drivers/BIOS are up to date, as well as Chameleon (r2165) and Flash. I have even applied the OpenCl patch, and double checked the nVidia kexts to make sure my card's device ID is present. Playing movies (avi, mov, mp4 etc) from the oldest of QT movies to full 1080p HD, all work great!

Questions? Comments? Suggestions?!

I did same thing. Actually a lot of people did. DO NOT!! install ANY graphics drivers from MB. I say again. DON'T.

here is how you get perfect run.

1. install 10.8.2 without graphics card in.
2. boot install dsdt plus your other settings minus network + audio.
3. install nvidia drivers + cuda
4. put 660 ti in PC and boot into ML no problem.

I did same thing. Actually a lot of people did. DO NOT!! install ANY graphics drivers from MB. I say again. DON'T.

here is how you get perfect run.

1. install 10.8.2 without graphics card in.
2. boot install dsdt plus your other settings minus network + audio.
3. install nvidia drivers + cuda
4. put 660 ti in PC and boot into ML no problem.

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking about doing a fresh install, and it's good to know that we are on the same page about how to do it right. My only question/concern would be the fact that without the 660 Ti, I have no other way for video as the P67 chipset does not include any Intel GPU options like your Z68. I do have my old 6870HD still (until the 29th, when a fellow Hackintosher is going to purchase for his new build). I wonder, if I get a hold of an OS X 10.8.2 install, has the AMD 68XX series finicky install issues from 10.8 been resolved?

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking about doing a fresh install, and it's good to know that we are on the same page about how to do it right. My only question/concern would be the fact that without the 660 Ti, I have no other way for video as the P67 chipset does not include any Intel GPU options like your Z68. I do have my old 6870HD still (until the 29th, when a fellow Hackintosher is going to purchase for his new build). I wonder, if I get a hold of an OS X 10.8.2 install, has the AMD 68XX series finicky install issues from 10.8 been resolved?

Absolutely not. I just came from the HD 6850 because of this exact reason.

Knowing that short of finding someone else with a mac drive and just cloning it I don't really know what you can do besides hours of painful testing. Like I said I had a nightmare getting my 6850 fully working. Even booting up was a joke.

Absolutely not. I just came from the HD 6850 because of this exact reason.

Knowing that short of finding someone else with a mac drive and just cloning it I don't really know what you can do besides hours of painful testing. Like I said I had a nightmare getting my 6850 fully working. Even booting up was a joke.

Lovely. Ok, gonna try this when I have the time. I have a clean install of 10.8.X (I forget) with working 6870HD on a USB drive I use as a B/U, so I will throw in my AMD card, make sure the B/U is up to date, and then install the Geforce and CUDA drivers from nVidia, not MultiBeast, THEN install the 660 Ti. If I can play YouTube, and quicklook in finder (just found out that I get the pink garbled window of death with that too), I will clone that to my SSD.

I feel your pain with your 6850HD. I was one of the first here to get my 6870HD working with the 10.8 installer, and to accomplished this I had to dig deep in the Russian forums over at AppleLife.ru and mess around with DP4 before ML went to GM. I was relived for the 660 Ti that all I had to do was throw in the card and take out GraphicsEnabler from my boot.plist. I guess I should have done my homework and installed the Geforece and CUDA before I installed my 660 Ti. Life lesson I guess. :p

Yeah that might work well. After installing and booting properly. I would see if you just pop the 660 ti in and hopefully the ati Keats don't kp. If they do what I recommend doing is removing all the graphics drivers before you reboot so only the nvidia drivers are there. Hopefully anyway. Keep us posted :)

That particular problem is fixed by disabling hardware acceleration from flash videos. Do this from the flash player plugin preferences accessed from any loaded flash-content and left clicking to get in to the preferences menu.

Hi,

I had a similar problem with youtube freezing every 10 to 12 s on following gear:
- MB H67MD2 B3 rev. 1.1, bios F7
- CPU core i7 2700K
- GPU GTX 660 TI
- OSX 10.8.4

In fact I tried playing youtube videos after a fresh install, so I had not installed any drivers for sound...

I just used unibeast to install proper ALC889 drivers, and this problem disappeared. A mate had the same problem with a H61M DS2 MB with core i3 and GTX 560.

Maybe this can help, you should have a look at your sound drivers. I installed with non dsdt version in Unibeast.

Woo, just saved me.
I updated to 10.8.3 and got the pink youtube screen, so i figured I might as well update to 10.8.4 and see if it helped before I rolled back to 10.8.2.
I have 3 partitions and I run one as imac and 2 as mini macs, all were giving me the troubles.

Thank you.

Hi,

I just used unibeast to install proper ALC889 drivers, and this problem disappeared. A mate had the same problem with a H61M DS2 MB with core i3 and GTX 560.

Maybe this can help, you should have a look at your sound drivers. I installed with non dsdt version in Unibeast.

What does it mean to say 'used unibeast to install proper ALC889 drivers'?

I have a full 10.8.4 with Multibeast install of ACL889 drivers, and HDMI audio through the HDMI audio port of my 660Ti. How is this done in that case?

Or is this thread recommending installing the Nvidia Drivers from MB when using the 4K native graphics, and THEN plugging in the 660Ti?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back