1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 512K
  2. Plus
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I bought 2 different brands of these. Both promised to work with 10.14. Only one had functioning drivers and I will reward them for delivering what they promised. Mojave does warn that these may become incompatible with later versions of the OS (what else is new?). The GOOD dongle to buy is:

ComFast CF-811AC ($12.99)
Link To Drivers

If you already have a non-working dongle and it shows up as 0xc811 in the USB device tree, those drivers MIGHT work for you too.

What kind of speeds do you get on your system ? Anywhere close to rated speeds ?

I installed it on a 2015 MacBook Air. They claim 650mbps. A test against speedtest.net returned 100+ MBps (800+ mbps). Maybe the website isn't accurate. Needless to say it is more than sufficient. My 2015 MacBook Pro appears to be slightly slower in my tests.

The biggest caveat to this purchase -- Mojave warns that the current drivers will likely not work with future versions of MacOS. For $13, I think it is worth the risk.

Incidentally, to cover the bluetooth side of the equation, I use a usb bluetooth dongle that just works without any drivers --

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ZIILLI/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

How's the user inferface look when selecting a WiFi network?
Post some screenshots if you can, I'm curious to see how it looks.

I just got a Asus AC53 Nano for about $30 and works great. Got 200 Mbps Down/Up on a 5.0Ghz network.
The drivers from their site comes with a nice almost native looking status bar utility to select a Wi-Fi network.

How's the user inferface look when selecting a WiFi network?
Post some screenshots if you can, I'm curious to see how it looks.

I just got a Asus AC53 Nano for about $30 and works great. Got 200 Mbps Down/Up on a 5.0Ghz network.
The drivers from their site comes with a nice almost native looking status bar utility to select a Wi-Fi network.

It is likely the same interface. Sits in the menubar, similar to the standard Apple icon but it turns green when it sees the dongle

I have an USB dongle Realtek 802.11n NIC (see screenshots) but I can't use Airport Utility or the driver or utility that comes with the dongle. When I would like start the utility, nothing happens :(
In Network config, Wifi does never appear (I can see the Ethernet, Bluetooth and Firewire connections, but no Wifi)
Can-you help me?
Thanks by advance!
PS: I try it on an Core2 Quad under El Capitain and on an i5-750 under Sierra and High Sierra with the same results

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-16 at 18.44.48.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-16 at 18.44.48.png
    79 KB · Views: 189
  • Screen Shot 2019-09-16 at 18.45.42.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-16 at 18.45.42.png
    55.2 KB · Views: 178
I have an USB dongle Realtek 802.11n NIC (see screenshots) but I can't use Airport Utility or the driver or utility that comes with the dongle. When I would like start the utility, nothing happens :(
In Network config, Wifi does never appear (I can see the Ethernet, Bluetooth and Firewire connections, but no Wifi)
Can-you help me?
Thanks by advance!
PS: I try it on an Core2 Quad under El Capitain and on an i5-750 under Sierra and High Sierra with the same results
i think that is common on usb wifi cards, best to use more compatible hardware, the buying advice should have a list of compatible cards

but I can't use Airport Utility or the driver or utility that comes with the dongle. When I would like start the utility, nothing happens
Are you certain you are using the correct Mac version of the Realtek driver ?
What is the exact model number of the wifi dongle ?

on the driver's disk, it be write RTL8192
The utility (and driver I suppose) is for 10.10 Yosemite.
In a first time, I try without install it, and then with the driver/utility installation, but I can't configure Wifi in any case
:'-(

on the driver's disk, it be write RTL8192
The utility (and driver I suppose) is for 10.10 Yosemite.
In a first time, I try without install it, and then with the driver/utility installation, but I can't configure Wifi in any case
:'-(
Do you have Yosemite installed or something newer ? Where did you get the driver ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back