Contribute
Register

6-core vs 8-core hackintoshes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
motherboard or system make & model # > See Rules!
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GTX 1060
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm not absolutely sure if this is the right forum to post in, but I'll give it a try. Tried to search for my answer, but didn't find what I was looking for unfortunately.

First of all, I would like to say hi to everyone at the forum, my first post here, but been lurking for a time now. :)

I'm planning to build a Hackintosh with OS X Mountain Lion very soon. I originally planned to buy a Mac Pro, but realized the price tag was way out of my reach. I've built plenty of Windows computers, so I though SOMEONE must be building macs. Turns out, you're a hole bunch! So decided to go this road.

My main concern is what processor to get, or rather what I need. I'm thinking about present and future needs. I've almost decided on the i7-3930K 6-core processor, but would like to ask for a few opinions regarding going for 2 4-core processors. Except for the cost, is the upgrade very noticable, or rather just not worth the extra cash? Also, any issues regarding stability and compability?

I'm gonna use this for music production, with the Pro Tools 10 recording software. I also want to dual boot with Windows 7, so if anyone have any great links regarding dual-booting, feel free to post 'em!

I will of course post a build report, and a guide if it is succesful!

Best Regards,
Magnus Nordbye

I'm not absolutely sure if this is the right forum to post in, but I'll give it a try. Tried to search for my answer, but didn't find what I was looking for unfortunately.

First of all, I would like to say hi to everyone at the forum, my first post here, but been lurking for a time now. :)

I'm planning to build a Hackintosh with OS X Mountain Lion very soon. I originally planned to buy a Mac Pro, but realized the price tag was way out of my reach. I've built plenty of Windows computers, so I though SOMEONE must be building macs. Turns out, you're a hole bunch! So decided to go this road.

My main concern is what processor to get, or rather what I need. I'm thinking about present and future needs. I've almost decided on the i7-3930K 6-core processor, but would like to ask for a few opinions regarding going for 2 4-core processors. Except for the cost, is the upgrade very noticable, or rather just not worth the extra cash? Also, any issues regarding stability and compability?

I'm gonna use this for music production, with the Pro Tools 10 recording software. I also want to dual boot with Windows 7, so if anyone have any great links regarding dual-booting, feel free to post 'em!

I will of course post a build report, and a guide if it is succesful!

Best Regards,
Magnus Nordbye
Have you tried the forum Search (upper right above your name when you sign in)? Just type in DAW build and read through the different build threads.

Have you tried the forum Search (upper right above your name when you sign in)? Just type in DAW build and read through the different build threads.

Yes, I tried the search. I love to read about all the successful builds, but I'm wondering if anyone have any experience with dual processor hackintoshes, and if they think the slightly better performance was worth it, compared to 6-cores.

Magnus

Thanks for the answers guys!

I'm gonna use this mainly for audio recording/editing/mixing etc., but will eventually make it dual boot into windows 7, for gaming etc.

I've almost settled on the i7 3930K, as I think it's an investment for the future compared to the 4-cores.

I've found a build that's going to be my starting point: http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-builds/52035-my-platinum-build-x79-3930k-protools-hd2-geekbench.html . I will select a different computer case, PSU and graphics card (gonna buy this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0095LBTUU/?tag=tonymacx86-21 ) , and change the ram to this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0068ZWZY0/?tag=tonymacx86-21 .

I've checked most of the compability notes for these parts. Any know bugs I should be aware of, or will a build like this work well?

Btw, this forum is great!

Regards,
Magnus

And by the way, I might swap the motherboard out with a board from Gigabyte (namely http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006678HJC/?tag=tonymacx86-21 ), for economical and max compability reasons. What do you think?

As you might understand, I'm after a very stable build, with everything working.

Magnus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back