Contribute
Register

6/8 cores in a Cube / X99 / 5930k / GTX 970 mini / 32GB RAM / M.2 SSD PCIe Gen3 x4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Luchazo! I just noticed is that on the Gigabyte specifications page, it says the Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini 4GB DDR5 GPU is 183 mm in length however on the home page for it, it says it is 17 cm (170mm) in length. Which one is it?

Screen Shot 2015-06-20 at 7.33.12 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-06-20 at 7.34.39 PM.png

Hey Luchazo! I just noticed is that on the Gigabyte specifications page, it says the Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini 4GB DDR5 GPU is 183 mm in length however on the home page for it, it says it is 17 cm (170mm) in length. Which one is it?

View attachment 141637View attachment 141638

Both are correct :)

170mm the board itself, the part that should fit inside the cube.
183mm if you consider the metal at the end, and the connectors. (the metal has a 90 degree angle at one of the ends (as any graphic card). That counts on the overall length, but not on the length of the card that fits inside the cube.

EDIT: Nevermind, foolish question asked:)

Hi guys, some news on my built.

In a line:
Everything fits perfect in the cube, but..... (fu...ing BIG form factor PCIe extensions cables :banghead: Anyway, I have a fix for this already)
I was able to put everything inside the cube as planned
(the schematics I did with sketch-up where a very big help. I really recommend you to follow the same approach to plan the build):
- ASRock X99 mobo: X99E-ITX/ac
- intel 5820k 6-core processor + R24 dynatron 140w CPU Cooler
- 32GB RAM DDR4 (2 sticks of Kingston Technology 16GB RAM 2133MHz DDR4 ECC)
- Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 970 (mini dual slot video card)
- fastest SSD PCIe (4 pcie lanes) drive on the market: Samsung SM951 AHCI (My initial tests showed up to 2000MB/s read and 1600MB/s write WOW!!!!)
- SilverStone 450W SFX Modular PSU (ST45SF-G) 80-Plus Gold
- Case cooler Noctua NF-S12A PWM

So, I put everything inside, they fit perfectly, with the exception of the PCIE extension for the video card. Now way it may fit with one of the regular PCIE 16 lanes extensions. So, I bought some other angle connectors, and smaller extension for pcie 16x to check if it will fit this time.

Meanwhile, I was able to install 10.10.4 and windows 8.1 on the Samsung sm951 pcie ssd, on another case, to test the components. (in fact, I was more focused on having Yosemite 10.10.4 and windows 8.1 in the same install (also with Paralells working fine) (and some battlefiled 4 gaming.. wow.. I haven't played games in nearly 20years and my wife wants to kill me now... battlefield 4 looks great on my display 34UC97 ultrawide LG monitor)
The speed was impressive 19400 on geekbench.

Please check the post 16 on this thread, if you want to know how to install 10.10.4 on an X99 motherboard with GTX970 (pretty simple actually i fwe follow the specific x99 installation guide)

Geekbench test of 19400 nice!
Screen Shot 2015-07-27 at 11.02.10 AM.png

Speed of the pcie SSD SM951 I'm using! Almost 2GB/s read! WOW!!
aja_2GBps.png

DiskSpeedTest.png

Awesome stuff man!

Looking forward to seeing some space dense G4 Cube photos! :D

Awesome stuff man!

Looking forward to seeing some space dense G4 Cube photos! :D

^I'm also excited to see some pictures of your cube! Nice job mate!!

Hi guys.

A pic I was able to take:
(more to come)
IMG_2926 - Copy.JPG

Right now, I'm having trouble with the pcie extension.
I tried it many times, until I remembered someone mentioned to use aluminum foil to cover it, and BUM! it started working. It seems there is some kind of interference.
I'm using a rather long extension: the only one that fits by itself.
The issue is that it's very likely to get broken (like it did), so I need to get a new one...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321362865132?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

$_12.JPG

Hi guys.
Right now, I'm having trouble with the pcie extension.
I tried it many times, until I remembered someone mentioned to use aluminum foil to cover it, and BUM! it started working. It seems there is some kind of interference.
I'm using a rather long extension: the only one that fits by itself.
The issue is that it's very likely to get broken (like it did), so I need to get a new one...

Nice job and thanks for being bold and trying some new things. I have been following your build as I am planning to use some of your solutions for my own build. Aluminum foil? Which part(s) of the extension did you wrap?

I look forward to seeing more pics, especially as to where you fit in the video card on the actual build.

Nice job and thanks for being bold and trying some new things. I have been following your build as I am planning to use some of your solutions for my own build. Aluminum foil? Which part(s) of the extension did you wrap?

I look forward to seeing more pics, especially as to where you fit in the video card on the actual build.

Hi! I wrapped the cable part of the extension, just up to the PCIE connectors.
I bought already some replacements for the cables that got broken. I'll post again as soon as I get the connectors and replace the broken ones for the new ones(wrapped in aluminum)

Hi! I wrapped the cable part of the extension, just up to the PCIE connectors.
I bought already some replacements for the cables that got broken. I'll post again as soon as I get the connectors and replace the broken ones for the new ones(wrapped in aluminum)

Thanks for the quick reply!

If you go to a home improvement store or certain hardware stores (where the HVAC contractors buy their supplies) you can get aluminum "duct" tape. This is the proper tape to use on ducts, but it is just thick aluminum foil with adhesive on the back. Something like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Nashua-T...ulti-Purpose-HVAC-Foil-Tape-1207792/100030120

It may make it easier to get a clean looking wrapped cable. This would also be the best tape to use to seal a case for proper airflow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back