Contribute
Register

6/8 cores in a Cube / X99 / 5930k / GTX 970 mini / 32GB RAM / M.2 SSD PCIe Gen3 x4

Status
Not open for further replies.
To avoid completely hijacking this thread I have started one about the PicoBox PSU in the "hardware" section here.

EDIT: My conclusion after a few days testing and having contacted the makers is that mine does work as it should and is a good potential candidate for a high power Cube build, but there are a few provisos to that (-12v line is out of spec. but I am not sure how relevant that is to how many mobos + the power supply is an interesting split meaning that the full power figure of 500w in reality is unlikely in the real world to ever be achievable).

OK guys,
I was able to check that every component works fine in windows (I set everything in a spare case I have)

Then I went in the process of installing 10.10.3 and I succeed, once I knew how this thing works (by "this thing" I mean "putting Mac on a PC")

I have a separate topic for the Mac OSX installation in this tinny X99 motherboard

Basically I was able to run 10.10.3 on this X99E-ITX/ac mobo.
I also succeed on installing nVidia GTX970 on it.

I'll go ahead and complete the driver installation of the remaining devices (ALC1150 for Audio, and AzureWave Broadcom BCM94352HMB 802.11/ac/867Mbps WLAN + BT4.0 Half Mini PCI-E)

As I mentioned before, I had almost none experience in hackintosh (only followed a step by step guide to install osx in an intel nuc, which was very simple).
So I'm very happy I was able to understand this process on a more complex build.

And the good news for those that want to give this X99 mini itx mobo a try, is that I reinstalled OSX 10.10.3 many times, so I pretty much have every single step that needs to be done for this build, all the way up to getting GTX970 working too. So check the other topic for that info if you need it.

So, almost there ("there" means to start working on the actual G4 Cube build)
Of course I wanted to have everything installed on it, before going ahead and putting everything inside the small cube.

Let me know if any doubts!

An idea I also had (but I'm not sure if it is plausible or not) is if you need more space, maybe take that Silverstone SFX PSU out of its casing to maybe help to conserve space?

I'm not sure how much space that it would conserve and/or the ramifications of doing that.. just an idea:)

What do you think?

An idea I also had (but I'm not sure if it is plausible or not) is if you need more space, maybe take that Silverstone SFX PSU out of its casing to maybe help to conserve space?

I'm not sure how much space that it would conserve and/or the ramifications of doing that.. just an idea:)

What do you think?

That's right Rafa.
I checked this idea to. It's on the list, but with a low chance.
I basically need to remove the fan (lose the warranty), and change the angle of the power cord input so at the end we have kind of a PSU board.

- pros:
we earn some space, probably 1/3 of the sice
since it's a board, we can put it on a side, parallel to the walls

-cons
we earn not more than 1/3 of the psu size
we need to short circuit the fan, or re orient(or change) the fan. If we do that, we lose the fan space.
we lose warranty on the psu

The good news is that, this particular mobo, has a superfast new type of msata (PCIE direct connection) for SSDs. So, you don't need to have space for SSD or Hard Drives inside.

And, if you check my sketches, the space seems not to be a problem the way it's planned. (All the components should fit). The problem of course it to pull out all the heat generated by the CPU and GPU.

I'm really close to start with the actual G4 Cube build.

OSX 10.10.3 is stable on my powerful mini itx.
I was even able to set up Parallels with the windows ssd as a bootcamp option. Really useful for what I do at work.

I hit 19600 for geekbench in Mac (same as in windows), so I think I'm almost done withe the software setting and validation (still some issues with 5ghz ac wifi and ALC1150 audio)

Screen Shot 2015-06-16 at 8.14.01 PM.png

Looking forward for the " real deal"

Do you think you might have room for compact water cooling? I'd be thinking something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103195&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Possibly smaller, more silent, and better at cooling than an air cooler? Thoughts?

I've thought about it, but I think there is no way to put it in without opening new exhausts on the back of the acrylic cube (not with the silverstone PSU)

And the good news for those that want to give this X99 mini itx mobo a try, is that I reinstalled OSX 10.10.3 many times, so I pretty much have every single step that needs to be done for this build, all the way up to getting GTX970 working too. So check the other topic for that info if you need it.

When I click on other topic I get this: Screen Shot 2015-06-19 at 8.27.08 PM.png

Not sure why :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back