Contribute
Register

6/8 cores in a Cube / X99 / 5930k / GTX 970 mini / 32GB RAM / M.2 SSD PCIe Gen3 x4

Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way, I just found this......

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...PIN-DC-ATX-Power-Supply/211500_747813627.html

Pico Box2.png

Pico-Box.png

It seems a little insane, but it might be an option to consider for a Cube build although the power brick to power it for maximum power output will be something wonderful to behold. :p

Just for fun I have ordered one!

EDIT: Just saw the feedback on it which looks not 100% encouraging as one of the three reviews mentions bad shipping with a detached capacitor and a noisy coil....we shall see.

By the way, I just found this......

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...PIN-DC-ATX-Power-Supply/211500_747813627.html

View attachment 139275

View attachment 139277

It seems a little insane, but it might be an option to consider for a Cube build although the power brick to power it for maximum power output will be something wonderful to behold. :p

Just for fun I have ordered one!

EDIT: Just saw the feedback on it which looks not 100% encouraging as one of the three reviews mentions bad shipping with a detached capacitor and a noisy coil....we shall see.

good luck with that purchase!
I would be great if we can skip the pico-psu for more power, but with still a small size psu!
I saw similar to that ones, but the reviews were not fine.
the one you bought indeed looks promising...

it will need forced air ventilation according to the web page, but I see no problem since it only measures less than 3cm wide, if you put it on a side!

Size
150mm (L) * 81mm (W) * 26mm (H), with standard ATX power supply unit mounting holes.

good luck with that purchase!
I would be great if we can skip the pico-psu for more power, but with still a small size psu!
I saw similar to that ones, but the reviews were not fine.
the one you bought indeed looks promising...

it will need forced air ventilation according to the web page, but I see no problem since it only measures less than 3cm wide, if you put it on a side!

Size
150mm (L) * 81mm (W) * 26mm (H), with standard ATX power supply unit mounting holes.

Yes, this one is a step into the unknown in terms of whether it will arrive in good condition and whether it will do what it advertises! If their publicity is honest then all should be fine.

The thing I am interested in (and which I hope works!) is the feature of using 2 power bricks and these working together to provide all the input power needed. The 2 power bricks I have here already from eBay, but I expect that the actual power supply will probably take around a month to get here on the slow boat from China.

This PicoBox 500W could be an amazing find! :thumbup:

I also thought that it would be interesting to own one of these PSU’s. I ordered one last week and it arrived today.

But I am disappointed because the PSU has problems. The -12 volts is low and fails my tester and also will not boot in my open frame test bed.

PSU-12v-is9.95.jpg

I have requested a refund and sent this photo.

Good modding,
neil

I also thought that it would be interesting to own one of these PSU’s. I ordered one last week and it arrived today.

But I am disappointed because the PSU has problems. The -12 volts is low and fails my tester and also will not boot in my open frame test bed.

Good modding,
neil

Sad to know.
Hopefully it's just a failed unit, and minihack can pull 12v out of his psu.

Meanwhile,
I've got every component ready.
In this pic, I forgot to show:
- The Silverstone PSU
- The 32GB of RAM
- The MSATA (temporary ssd). Instead, I'm showing 2 samsung 850 Pro (512 gb each), that if they fit, I plan to use as the windows raid 0, and the SM95 (that i still didn't get) as the Mac OSX M.2 pcie x 4 lanes, with speeds up to 1000 MBps per what I saw.

IMG_2423.jpg

Here we can see a pre-fit check, with the stock fan R24 that comes with the mobo.
We can see here, on top pf the psu and the fan, on a side, the video cards fits too.

IMG_2436.jpg

Same thing from a different PoW

IMG_2437.jpg

I've prepared already a test bench for all the parts. I'm just waiting to get an on-off switch from a computer parts store tomorrow to switch everything on for the first time.

PSU-12v-is9.95.jpg

Good modding,
neil
It's a shame Neil. That said though I am not sure how many boards actually use the -12v line these days. Reading around it seems that even in 2004 that particular line was regarded as "legacy" and failing regulation on that rail is not uncommon and I expect it is not even provided with quite a number of PSU units. Personally if everything else were to work as advertised a -12v fail would not be a concern for me.
I'll let you know how I get on with mine when it makes it to the UK. I have my 2 power bricks here ready and waiting....
Failure to boot though is of course more serious - any indication of why? And what sort of power brick are you using to feed your PSU? The site seems to indicate a preference for around 19/20v bricks.

Sad to know.
Hopefully it's just a failed unit, and minihack can pull 12v out of his psu.

Meanwhile,
I've got every component ready.
In this pic, I forgot to show:
- The Silverstone PSU
- The 32GB of RAM
- The MSATA (temporary ssd). Instead, I'm showing 2 samsung 850 Pro (512 gb each), that if they fit, I plan to use as the windows raid 0, and the SM95 (that i still didn't get) as the Mac OSX M.2 pcie x 4 lanes, with speeds up to 1000 MBps per what I saw.

View attachment 140257

Here we can see a pre-fit check, with the stock fan R24 that comes with the mobo.
We can see here, on top pf the psu and the fan, on a side, the video cards fits too.

View attachment 140258

Same thing from a different PoW

View attachment 140259

I've prepared already a test bench for all the parts. I'm just waiting to get an on-off switch from a computer parts store tomorrow to switch everything on for the first time.

Good luck - looking forward to seeing your progress.

It's a shame Neil. That said though I am not sure how many boards actually use the -12v line these days. Reading around it seems that even in 2004 that particular line was regarded as "legacy" and failing regulation on that rail is not uncommon and I expect it is not even provided with quite a number of PSU units. Personally if everything else were to work as advertised a -12v fail would not be a concern for me.
I'll let you know how I get on with mine when it makes it to the UK. I have my 2 power bricks here ready and waiting....
Failure to boot though is of course more serious - any indication of why? And what sort of power brick are you using to feed your PSU? The site seems to indicate a preference for around 19/20v bricks.

I am using dual Dell laptop power bricks at 19V. And I see no need for -12 today as it is rarely needed but is check by POST in most good motherboards (at least it should be tested...).

As an aside, all of my systems have been tested with this PSU tester during my build process so I know that every other PSU that I own does have a working -12V.

Good modding,
neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back