Contribute
Register

5k Resolution with original iMac Panel and Nvidia Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey @joevt

Thanks for your support and your patience, but I have decided to give up.
Like I wrote in my last reply, the Display is way to dark compared to my MacBook Pro.
Maybe the display is damaged or the Driver board. I don't know.
Apart from that I think its to much effort and consumed to much time to deal with the 60Hz. Problem.
Im sending the Display and the iMac case back while I still can.
I hope I can get a partially refund for the driverBoard.

Tanks again,
Arstidir
You're welcome. It was fun and we learned some things.

Some other thoughts I had:
- Search Nvidia or AMD kexts for possible boot-args to enable YCbCr422 or whatever.
- Search open source.apple.com for graphics and display drivers for code that can change or query pixel format.

Someone linked a specification sheet for the LM270QQ1 at http://www.go-gddq.com/down/2017-07/17071215336070.pdf
It specifically mentions 8 lane DisplayPort 1.2 support. Nothing about DisplayPort 1.3/1.4.

So anyone have success with r9a18? anyone tryed with amd gpus like vega or rx 5xx? Because i am thinking the same. I want to build own monitor with apple display matrix too.

I ordered a LG LM270QQ1 5K display panel, which is the replacement Display for 5K iMacs.
With this driver Board I can use it as a normal Monitor. So I can build a 5K display in a real iMac Case. In windows, its works perfectly! The 5K resolution is stunning.
But it doesn't work in macOS. I only get a 4K resolution.

The driver board has two DisplayPort 1.4 Ports and one MST SST DisplayPort

View attachment 422296

I have a GTX 1070 with Web-Drivers on macOS Sierra. My Hackintosh is running as iMac 17.1 5K, because I have a i7 6700K CPU

What I tried so far:
  • Using 1 DisplayPort 1.4 Cable --> still 4K
  • Using two DisplayPort Cables. I tried using both "normal" DisplayPort Ports, and using one DP an one MST Port. --Still 4K
  • switch resolution with switchResX Set 5120x2880 --> looks smaller, but not sharp. In the Display informations I can see its still 4K
  • replaced Whatevergreen with NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext and adding CoreDisplayFixup.kext
I read so many Posts of Problems with 5K Displays on a Hackintosh, but I found no solution. I read something about editing the Nvidiagraphicsfixup.kext or the AppleDeviceGraphicsPolicy.kext but I don't know and what I should change.
Right now I am a little bit desperate, because I spend a lot of money for the Parts and can't give them back.
I am grateful for any help :)

Hello

Could you tell me if the 5k control board works well for windows 10?
I'm not technical, but I want to have a 5k monitor with windows 10,
My motherboard has a DP 1.2 output

thank you

Bought panel and board on ebay / Aliexpress - works great in 5k with dual display port cable and rx580 / Catalina 10.15.2 (Ryzentosh 3900 / aorus x570). Haven’t been able to make it work with single DP 1.4 cable though (both board and rx580 are supposed to support DP 1.4).

if anyone gets Catalina or above working in 5k with single DP 1.4 let me know.

Bought panel and board on ebay / Aliexpress - works great in 5k with dual display port cable and rx580 / Catalina 10.15.2 (Ryzentosh 3900 / aorus x570). Haven’t been able to make it work with single DP 1.4 cable though (both board and rx580 are supposed to support DP 1.4).

if anyone gets Catalina or above working in 5k with single DP 1.4 let me know.

I have the setup from aliexpress that you are talking about and have it working with a single DP 1.4 cable 5k @ 60Hz. I thought it would be enough for my photo and video editing however at that resolution and rate the Color Depth drops to 6 or 8 bits so the gradients look **** and it defeats the purpose I bought this panel for. I have not been successful in running a dual dp setup as it just keeps being picked up as 2 different monitors by my GPU. My inspiration to buy it was this guy:

His driver board is older with DP1.2 ports meanwhile the one I have has DP1.4 boards. Make sure that:
1) Your setting on the driver board under Advanced > DP Option is set to 1.4 and not 1.2
2) Your cable is actually rated for DP 1.4

I've read (using google translate) the forum thread at https://www.hackintosh-forum.de/for...g-mit-original-imac-panel-funktioniert-nicht/

His 5K 60Hz resolution has bad gradient caused by chroma subsampling (or RGB, 6 bit per component, 18 bits per pixel, 262144 colors). Output from AGCDDiagnose will show if he is getting HBR2 speed like you are. His controller board might have a different firmware and EDID. AGCDDiagnose will also show that information.

I am having the same problem. my inspiration for this project was this guy on youtube:

He uses thunderbolt splitter from his imac. Do you think that can be a solution to get the system to recognize two DP cables as one source? Currently when I connect them directly to the DPs on my GPU, they get treated as 2 different desktops.

He uses thunderbolt splitter from his imac. Do you think that can be a solution to get the system to recognize two DP cables as one source? Currently when I connect them directly to the DPs on my GPU, they get treated as 2 different desktops.
Thunderbolt splitter won't work. Information that two displays are actually one should be in the EDID of the two displays.

Use AGDCDiagnose to check that.

Coming late to the party here. I have just built my own version of this with a slightly newer 5k control board. I have similar experience to the OP in MacOS. I am on Nvidia GTX 1080 for the moment.

My observations are broadly in line with the previous posts with a couple of differences.

Windows 10 - I can get 5k60HZ at 8 bit per channel colour over 1 cable. This cable is a high quality DP1.4 cable, but I am inclined to agree that these boards don't actually support DP1.4 despite the on-screen display allowing its selection. Strange thing is I cannot get 5k with two cables in Windows. I can get an output when set on dual DP inputs in the on-screen display, but it is a 4k output with black bars horizontally and vertically.

Are there specific Windows settings/Nvidia settings I need to get a dual cable 10 bit output at 5k?

MacOS 10.13.6 - Maximum working resolution is 4k at 60 Hz. I can manage to get a dual cable output but the left and right sides are not in sync. This may just be an Nvidia limitation.

I have a 5700XT still in its wrapping. If I were sure I could get a full 5k picture in MacOS I would try it, but I don't want to try and and find it's still 4k when in that case I could save my money and just continue with Nvidia. So ideally I would get a proper dual cable set up in Windows 10 working so I know that the panel and the control board can handle it.

I haven't started trying to get EDID data but I guess that is the next step.

My only other concern is that the cables connected to the board are different. One is a high quality DP1.4 cable, but the other is whatever came with the board (DP1.2 normally). Could this prevent Windows from playing nicely with dual cable? They are sealed inside the display so can't really be swapped without opening it up again.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

PS. Delighted with the screen. If it never gets better than 5k/4k in Windows and MacOS then I'm still very happy and better looking panel and industrial design than all other monitors except the £5k XDR Display.

PPS: In Windows 10, GPU-Z reports maximum link speeds report 5Gbps link speeds for both cables. But strangely one cable offers me 5k60Hz, while the other is limited to 4k.

The only dual cable display supported by Nvidia macOS driver is Dell UP2715K.

Thanks for the reply. Strangely, that this exactly what MacOS and Windows reports my display to be. The makers of the driver board either nicked the Dell firmware or they make one of the boards inside that monitor.

After more trying I couldn't get a dual DP 5k signal in either Windows or MacOS with my GTX1080. So I installed a 5700XT crossing my fingers that this would work.

It works perfectly in Windows and MacOS. Dual cable 5k60Hz. 10 bit colour in Windows, and I guess similar in Mac though I don't know where to check that.

In the BIOS screen and the Opencore GUI it uses 1440p and then switches to 5k when loading either OS. No glitches or problems waking from sleep, switching OSes etc.

Image quality is amazing and thoroughly glad that German chap made his YouTube video which gave me the inspiration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back