Contribute
Register

5k Resolution with original iMac Panel and Nvidia Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
@TurbineSeaplane The screw mount holes are used to secure the panel to the plastic shell. You can use them to secure the LCD panel to a board or acrylic sheet (as seen here). You can then mount the board/sheet to any monitor arms or stands.

That is a really cool look with the acrylic sheet - not sure I'd want all the electronics exposed all the time however.

That is a really cool look with the acrylic sheet - not sure I'd want all the electronics exposed all the time however.
Yeah it looks really cool. You can easily build a box for the electronics so they are not left exposed.

There is now an option to purchase the LM270QQ2 (LG UltraFine panel) with 5K driver board, all assembled in a compatible monitor enclosure from AliExpress. The monitor enclosure supports VESA mount too (useful if you do not like the monitor stand). More information here.

Yeah it looks really cool. You can easily build a box for the electronics so they are not left exposed.

There is now an option to purchase the LM270QQ2 (LG UltraFine panel) with 5K driver board, all assembled in a compatible monitor enclosure from AliExpress. The monitor enclosure supports VESA mount too (useful if you do not like the monitor stand). More information here.

Very cool!!

I hope somebody orders one and reports back on if it's truly an A-Grade, brand new, no issues, display panel.

Coming from China, with AliExpress charging USA tax and the shipping - it's easily into the $600+ range. That's great for a 5k panel if it has no issues -- but if there's anything wrong, sending it back is an absolutely financial disaster -- and there's essentially no warranty at all. I'd be fairly trigger shy on buying one personally -- I guess it depends upon what the seller said in advance. I'm going to inquire on that tonight when it's business hours over there.

Along these lines..

I have yet another Planar IX2790 arriving today in hopes I might actually get a keeper. My hopes aren't high as I'm fairly convinced by reviews and my own experiences that they literally make them from sub A grade, rejected and/or out of spec panels straight off the line to begin with.

I'm sure Planar (who is foreign owned as of 2 years ago) has been getting some screaming deal on panels with "some issues" in hopes of pocketing a hefty margin by finding enough buyers who are ok with or don't notice the panel issues (at least not until it's too late).

For anyone reading this who's considering an IX2790, please also note that as of May 2020 the product is End of Life and their 3 year warranty is only going to allow replacements with B-stock and eventually no 5k options at all for replacement (once they run out of B-Stock). This is all confirmed directly with Planar, by me, on the phone and by email.

With that in mind - (essentially no real warranty from Planar moving forward) - the direct from China options on LG Ultrafine 5k panels are looking better for sure.

Last edited:
Yep - another new IX2790 came today - another one with hundreds of stuck pixels.

These absolutely must be built "new" from Planar with defective/out-of-spec panels that wouldn't make the cut for Apple 5k iMacs (or LG Ultrafine 5k standalone models)

Shame on Planar for trying to pull this over on people. I say "shame on them" because I've had extensive contact with them and they avoid and deflect. They know what they are doing here. Really disappointing business practices.

Yep - another new IX2790 came today - another one with hundreds of stuck pixels.

These absolutely must be built "new" from Planar with defective/out-of-spec panels that wouldn't make the cut for Apple 5k iMacs (or LG Ultrafine 5k standalone models)

Shame on Planar for trying to pull this over on people. I say "shame on them" because I've had extensive contact with them and they avoid and deflect. They know what they are doing here. Really disappointing business practices.
Are the dead pixels obvious? Do you have a photo to share? This is really putting me off buying LCD panels from sources that does not have a zero dead pixel policy or does not accept return.

Are the dead pixels obvious? Do you have a photo to share? This is really putting me off buying LCD panels from sources that does not have a zero dead pixel policy or does not accept return.

On black backgrounds, particularly if the room is dark, you'll see them --- especially once you know where they are (good luck "un-knowing that" also).

It's really hard to get my old iPhone SE to focus on them, but I've tried here and used arrows to show them in alternate versions. That's not dust - the arrows are all pointing at stuck pixels.

They actually do have either a R,G or B color to them (just depends which one) but my iPhone isn't doing a good job picking up the color of each -- I can barely get it to focus enough to see them due to the lighting and the glossy screen.

This unit - vs the first one I sent back - at least doesn't have damage to the back of the panel that was visible even on light backgrounds. That made it an "instant" return to me since you were going to see/notice damage all the time (was right in the center of the screen - couldn't miss it on basically all content).

This one in front of me at least gives hope to one who might want to "live with it". I'm undecided but most likely sending it back. If these were at more of a discount I'd ponder it some more, but - eh... just frustrating and expensive..

Attachments

• Pic 1.jpeg
    Pic 1.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 66
  • Pic 1 - No Arrows.jpeg
    Pic 1 - No Arrows.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 64
  • Pic 2 - No Arrows.jpeg
    Pic 2 - No Arrows.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 53
  • Pic 2.jpeg
    Pic 2.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 56
On black backgrounds, particularly if the room is dark, you'll see them --- especially once you know where they are (good luck "un-knowing that" also).

It's really hard to get my old iPhone SE to focus on them, but I've tried here and used arrows to show them in alternate versions. That's not dust - the arrows are all pointing at stuck pixels.

They actually do have either a R,G or B color to them (just depends which one) but my iPhone isn't doing a good job picking up the color of each -- I can barely get it to focus enough to see them due to the lighting and the glossy screen.
Thanks @TurbineSeaplane I can see them as they are very obvious! What is your plan then since you are not getting much luck with the Planar?

Thanks @TurbineSeaplane I can see them as they are very obvious! What is your plan then since you are not getting much luck with the Planar?

It's definitely going back - Since my last post I've found a flaw I can see on lighter backgrounds also.

ugh. They are all flawed. Don't buy these panels folks.

I think this is why Planar stopped making them.
The jig was up and the bad reviews are all over the internet.

In terms of "next steps" - I'm thinking of doing the DIY iMac Shell project maybe -- or perhaps one of those LG panels + driver board + normal monitor enclosure you mentioned.

I've had good contacts with two seemingly reputable sellers on AliExpress who are **adamant** that the panels are perfect and new and will take videos and photos out the kazoo to verify for me exactly what they are shipping..

I'm still drawn to the DIY iMac version simply for the aesthetics and the opportunity to buy the panel from a USA seller where it could be returned if need be.

Costs aside - it's so maddening that LG won't make a "normal" 5k Ultrafine with a simple DisplayPort 1.4 hookup like the Planar, which does 5k/60hz over a single DP 1.4 connection.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
Anyone know if it's worth it to pay the extra $70-100 for the LM270QQ1-SDC1 (vs the SDB1)?

The latter is for the iMac 5k's whereas the former is for the 2017+ iMac 5k's.

I'm unclear on what changed (if anything). They seem to spec out the same.
Anyone know?

Anyone know if it's worth it to pay the extra $70-100 for the LM270QQ1-SDC1 (vs the SDB1)?

The latter is for the iMac 5k's whereas the former is for the 2017+ iMac 5k's.

I'm unclear on what changed (if anything). They seem to spec out the same.
Anyone know?
I am aiming to get the C1 as it costs the same as B1. I actually prefer to get the LM270QQ1-SDD1 (for iMac Pro) but it is more than £200 more expensive! I am not sure what the differences are but I think the older panels might not be as bright?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back