Contribute
Register

5k Resolution with original iMac Panel and Nvidia Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well - I've packed it up..
I just didn't feel right about keeping it with the issues.

Value is important to me, no question, but I'd honestly rather pay more but have one I will feel good about over the long term.

If they'd knocked anything off the price it might have made the calculus hard to ignore. I'm honestly surprised they didn't even offer to knock off the price of the shipping label they sent me (that has to be $20-40 for shipping to FedEx I'd think).

When working with these "interesting" companies that sell refurbs and the like, I really recommend using PayPal like I did. That extra bit of leverage to get them to respond (or you get money back) was very good to have here.
I am glad that you finally made up your mind. I agree with you that it is worth paying more for a better monitor that you will potentially own for long term. You need to be happy with the monitor as you will be using it on a daily basis.

@macnexus

So what's your plan for mounting/enclosure on the DIY iMac panel route?
You going to get an iMac shell?

@macnexus

So what's your plan for mounting/enclosure on the DIY iMac panel route?
You going to get an iMac shell?
Yes I bought an iMac A1419 shell off eBay last month. I also added internal speakers which worked pretty well with the 5K driver board (subject to more testing). The only item missing now is the iMac 5K panel.

I will need to plan how I intend to mount the driver board and power adapter inside the shell (potentially alongside other accessories such as USB hub. I am not sure if it is worth the hassle).

I've decided to live with an extra 24" 1920 x 1200 Asus monitor I have here for now.

Not a clear gorgeous picture, but functional for now -- I feel like I should let this situation breathe a bit and decide on next steps with no rush or timeline pressure.

I've decided to live with an extra 24" 1920 x 1200 Asus monitor I have here for now.

Not a clear gorgeous picture, but functional for now -- I feel like I should let this situation breathe a bit and decide on next steps with no rush or timeline pressure.
I am not in a rush to finish this project either. There is currency a seller in eBay that is selling the LM270QQ1 SD D1 panel for £370 (roughly $466). The price went up from £340 to £500 (roughly $632) in the last few weeks and now it is back down to £370. Not sure if I should bite the bullet now. I am assuming that the D1 variant will work with the 5K driver board.

I am not in a rush to finish this project either. There is currency a seller in eBay that is selling the LM270QQ1 SD D1 panel for £370 (roughly $466). The price went up from £340 to £500 (roughly $632) in the last few weeks and now it is back down to £370. Not sure if I should bite the bullet now. I am assuming that the D1 variant will work with the 5K driver board.

I am very curious to see if that driver board will correctly handle the P3 color space and brightness differences. I certainly hope so. That would be very promising if so

I am very curious to see if that driver board will correctly handle the P3 color space and brightness differences. I certainly hope so. That would be very promising if so
Well the LM270QQ1 SD B1 (which was the panel that I used for the test in post #232) is actually the same panel used on the iMac 5K Late 2015 model. This particular model of iMac 5K was advertised to have IPS DCI-P3 "Retina 5K" display. The 2017 model (C1 variant) was advertised to have brightness up to 500 nits in addition to the DCI-P3 support.

I find the B1 variant more than bright enough for my daily usage. I set it to 10% brightness. This article seems to suggest that some reputable reviewers measured the brightness on the B1 variant and the result was not far from 500 nits.

The panel is the same, but you must make sure to use an eDP card with the correct EDID setup in its firmware for the display will be correctly recognized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back