Contribute
Register

5K Resolution (5120x2880) via NVIDIA Drivers on Dell UltraSharp 27" Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks cccip! I made those changes in the bios and now my 4k monitor can make it through booting without being turned off but the 5k can't. When I have both on during boot I get a reboot cycle. Still no luck with sleep either but I noticed that sleep does work if the 5k is not yet using the span mode (before power cycling) but once I power cycle, the computer crashes on sleeping. Log says Basic SleepProxy Sleep Proxy Server is not enabled. Basic SleepProxy Could not get the primary interface.

I received my up2715k in the mail today and it is working at 5k with hiDPI available following the instructions provided. I am also running a p2715q 4k off of the GTX 980. One thing differed for me - I have to start up my computer with both monitors off, then wait till I have given sufficient time to get to desktop. Then I turn both monitors on and voila! Beauty! One other thing is that upon trying to sleep my monitors go black but the computer never sleeps. If I try to click mouse to wake them nothing happens. Not sure if the computer is crashed or what. Must try to remote in. Ill post more if I find solutions or if you have solutions, please let me know.

Hi dudenesspa, so the 4K p2715q works at 4K60Hz in 10.10.2 with latest nvidia drivers ? How did you have to configure your hack for this (smbios, etc...) ?

Hi dudenesspa, so the 4K p2715q works at 4K60Hz in 10.10.2 with latest nvidia drivers ? How did you have to configure your hack for this (smbios, etc...) ?

This was pretty much working OOB with MacPro6, 1 smbios. Additionally, changing the settings in my bios to windows8 and CSM:never as mentioned previously, allowed me to boot without having to turn the monitor off during boot. I am imagining and hoping nvidia web drivers will continue to improve support for 4k and 5k. 4k monitor sleeps normally as well. Can't say that about 5k.

I also confirmed with author of Barefeats article that he did not have sleep working with 5k monitor. He said he will follow up with NVidia to ask if they are working on a fix for this sleep issue.

Hi, I have Dell UP2715k and a 980 gtx but I wasn't able to obtain the 5K.
I use clover with imac 14,2 definition, 10.10.2 installed and 343.02.02.f02 nvidia alternate driver, I added the magic code nv_spanmodepolicy=1 to the boot-args (together with dart=0 nvda_drv=1 kext-dev-mode=1) but when I start up the monitor is a regular 2560x1440, if I shut it down and power up I see just half of the screen and the monitor menu (on the monitor not on OSX) says that I'm using 2560x2880 (the image is heavily distorted as reported below). I'm obviously using both the displayport cable, one attached to the first displayport of the card and the other to the second (the first is the closer to the PCI-e connector), the 980 is the asus strix one.

This happened to me a couple times. I would actually pull the power cord out of the back of the monitor and plug it back in. I'd also double check to make sure the web driver is actually being used. Finally, perhaps you need to try a different device smbios for Mac Pro rather than iMac.

This happened to me a couple times. I would actually pull the power cord out of the back of the monitor and plug it back in. I'd also double check to make sure the web driver is actually being used. Finally, perhaps you need to try a different device smbios for Mac Pro rather than iMac.

now it works and I haven't change anything, simply starting the monitor when osx is already booted, I have already tried it but every time I try after a freeze (when I start osx with monitor ON and the power cycle the monitor osx freeze), after manual rebooting it doesn't work. What a strange behavior

Great news! It's a great monitor I love it more and more everyday. Just hope nvidia doesn't leave this piece of the drivers half baked. I agree it acts strange at times.

Just curious if you can get 5k resolution with an AMD card. Looking to the future.

Awesome dude!

Got it working on Capitan 10.11.1

gtx 970 g1 gaming

and LG 31mu97-b

Gettin stupid by seeing how sharp it's now!

Cheers!

5K.png

10.10.5 + NVIDIA Web Driver 346.02.03f05 + 2xDP1.2 + aforementioned boot flags + power cycle = 5K :headbang:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back