Contribute
Register

5K Resolution (5120x2880) via NVIDIA Drivers on Dell UltraSharp 27" Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the benefit of others who arrive here from Google or other forum users, I was able to get my Dell UP2715K to work with my 6700K + 1080Ti system running High Sierra 10.13.6 by using Lilu + WhateverGreen. I'm using iMac17,1 SMBIOS.

Add these boot flags:
agdpmod=pikera nv_spanmodepolicy=1

Previous users have used Lilu + NvidiaGraphicsFixup, but NvidiaGraphicsFixup has been superseded by WhateverGreen.
Also, don't use the old/deprecated flag ngfxpatch=pikera

I love using this screen! I bought it second-hand from eBay for $600 AUD delivered from the US ($435 USD)
Insteretingly, the lg ultra fine 5k still boots into black screen in 10.13.6 with lilu and whatevergreen. The boot flag won't make any difference. The only way to get lg 5k work is by " boot with one cable and plug in the 2nd after boot into osx.

Insteretingly, the lg ultra fine 5k still boots into black screen in 10.13.6 with lilu and whatevergreen. The boot flag won't make any difference. The only way to get lg 5k work is by " boot with one cable and plug in the 2nd after boot into osx.

That sounds like quite a pain. Displays like mine and the LG 5K that rely on MST are finicky overall.

Displays like the Planar IX2790 which use a single DP 1.4 cable are definitely easier to deal with.

That sounds like quite a pain. Displays like mine and the LG 5K that rely on MST are finicky overall.

Displays like the Planar IX2790 which use a single DP 1.4 cable are definitely easier to deal with.
Looks like Planar is better than lg ultra fine. It has the same panel as apple mostly likely. It looks like it just mounts the iMac panel onto a different case. There is even a hole for camera but no camera. There is patch here to enable 5k resolution with single cable. So this one might work easily with hackintosh.

@maple4444
There is patch here to enable 5k resolution with single cable. So this one might work easily with hackintosh.

Where is the Patch? I Cant find it. I have a Single Cable 5k Display and can't get the 5K resolution, just 4K.

I do not have the Dell. My 5K Screen supports DP 1.4. That's why I´m looking for the Patch. It works perfekt on Windows but in macOS I have just 4K.

I do not have the Dell. My 5K Screen supports DP 1.4. That's why I´m looking for the Patch. It works perfekt on Windows but in macOS I have just 4K.
Which display is it? Maybe macOS won't allow 5K because pixel depth would be limited to 8 bpc when using HBR3 (DisplayPort 1.3 or 1.4) instead of dual HBR2 (dual cable or dual link DisplayPort 1.2)?

Have you tried SwitchResX in macOS? Check the EDID? Create a custom resolution?

There was a patch to enable dual cable 5K displays on Nvidia that are not the Dell UP2715K. That won't help single cable 5K displays.

It´s the same panel Apples uses for their iMacs. It´s a LG LM270QQ1 Panel.
I have a Thread here.

I tried switchResX. nothing happened. Here is the EDID. I don't know what I should check in the EDID.

Attachments

• DP QQHD.txt
    17.4 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
It´s the same panel Apples uses for their iMacs. It´s a LG LM270QQ1 Panel.
I have a Thread here.

I tried switchResX. nothing happened. Here is the EDID. I don't know what I should check in the EDID.
I posted my reply in the other thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back