Contribute
Register

5K Resolution (5120x2880) via NVIDIA Drivers on Dell UltraSharp 27" Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for the Thread Bump!
I really want to buy this DELL UP2715K monitor!
I have following questions before I make purchase
1. Does it work with RX580.
2. My RX580 has 3 DP, 1 HDMI. Can I use the 2 DP to get full 5K in macOS
3. Anyother 5K monitor that works flawlessly with RX580 ?
Any Tutorials written before can it be shared ?

This monitor is very buggy, unless you have a real mac pro.

I'd recommend buying a 4k monitor. I have my regrets for buying 5k.

I would, in the end, also not recommend buying this monitor. It's beautiful when it works, but getting it to work with a hackintosh is a real PITA and the circumstances and tweaks can change with any point release. It's definitely not for beginners.

I would at least wait for High Sierra and for the user experiences.

I might jump ship and switch to a real iMac Pro at the end of the year. It's a real pain to wonder every time if an macOS update might f*** up your work day.

I love my 5K Dell's but it has required some serious tinkering and experimentation to make them work. I too would have a hard time recommending them unless that person really enjoys tinkering. Even then, we never got to a real solution until the lilu.kext author did some reverse engineering of the sleep/wake problems, which was way outside my realm of expertise ... I am a serious programmer, but my expertise is not in disassembling and reverse engineering compiled code.

A word of warning when using the Dell UP2715k and macOS Sierra.

I am running a Titan X (Pascal). This may apply only to this card, or other Pascal cards too (untested).

Upon installing the latest web drivers for Pascal cards and adjustments of the boot parameters (such as spanning), it nearly caused physical damage to my monitor. Unfortunately, the OS sees the display as two separate panels, and doesn't run them together. This results in a forced resolution and refresh to both sides of the display, causing burn-in of the image and severe flickering. Only upon booting back in to Windows and running a strobe video for an hour, was I able to cure it. the flickering and burn-in was even present when the monitor was disconnected from the PC.

It wasn't possible to get the resolution to 5120x2880 within macOS at all in any way, even through the use of third party software.

I would strongly suggest against using this monitor for the time being, until at least NVidia sort their drivers out, otherwise the results could be even worse.

Jack

Reactions: Twa
A word of warning when using the Dell UP2715k and macOS Sierra.

I am running a Titan X (Pascal). This may apply only to this card, or other Pascal cards too (untested).

Upon installing the latest web drivers for Pascal cards and adjustments of the boot parameters (such as spanning), it nearly caused physical damage to my monitor. Unfortunately, the OS sees the display as two separate panels, and doesn't run them together. This results in a forced resolution and refresh to both sides of the display, causing burn-in of the image and severe flickering. Only upon booting back in to Windows and running a strobe video for an hour, was I able to cure it. the flickering and burn-in was even present when the monitor was disconnected from the PC.

It wasn't possible to get the resolution to 5120x2880 within macOS at all in any way, even through the use of third party software.

I would strongly suggest against using this monitor for the time being, until at least NVidia sort their drivers out, otherwise the results could be even worse.

Jack
It does seem like physical damage at first, but as far as I can tell it's a weird quirk of the monitor. Leaving the monitor off settles it down within an hour or so. Leaving it off for a day or two also has the same effect. I've learned to simply not let the monitor display in an out of sync state for very long.

Ah I see. It was incredibly scary haha. Either way, it seemed impossible to get the native resolution working at all with the install unfortunately :(

Yes, when you use a bogus framebuffer or connect the DP cables in the wrong order, these hiccups with flickering may appear and stay for a while.

Dell has this even stated on their official support page:

Screen Flicker

Flicker on screen may occur right after the symptom of split screen or distorted video happens.

To resolve this issue, unplug and plug back in the AC power cord from the display to recover from flickering screen. Once you return to a normal screen image, leave the monitor on for 1 hour to let the residual voltage stabilize in the panel. The flicker will be eliminated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back