Contribute
Register

5K Resolution (5120x2880) via NVIDIA Drivers on Dell UltraSharp 27" Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for sharing. I was really hoping for NVIDIA to fix these cursor issues with the new Pascal driver series. Unfortunately nothing changed to the better. Will stick to El Capitan and GTX 980 until there is a fix. :(
So this doesn't happen on El Cap?

So this doesn't happen on El Cap?
Nope. 10.11 is fine. The bug is introduced since 10.12 and isn't fixed despite 4 point releases and various driver updates.

So for anyone who has a 5K + 10xx combo: Whether stick with 10.11 with iGPU or use 10.12 with pascal but live with the mouse cursor issue. That sucks!

UP

I installed Sierra without any problems, I want to use the 4K in macOS and 5K in Windows. So I have all 3 DisplayPort plugged in my GTX 1060 6gb (Zotac Amp! Edition).
The problem is that when I boot in macOS with 3 DisplayPort plugged in, I can't see the login screen and put the password. If I boot with only 1 DP (DP>mDP in the monitor) I boot without problems.

Can someone give me an hint?

EDIT: FIXED, I just checked the "duplicate monitor" in display preferences. So even thoug macOS thinks there are 2 monitors, it show the same thing on both and don't use the surround. So everything is fine.

Let's hope that the new drivers will fix the 5k issue so I can use this fantastic resolution!

Last edited:
EDIT: FIXED, I just checked the "duplicate monitor" in display preferences. So even thoug macOS thinks there are 2 monitors, it show the same thing on both and don't use the surround.
I would advise caution when trying that!
Seemed like a good idea so I tried it and the monitor started flickering really bad. Reverting the change unfortunately didn't fix the flicker. I restarted it a few times and tried different connectors and another machine. It's now reduced significantly but still not completely gone.
I suspect it's because the two connections use different resolutions so they cannot be properly mirrored.
Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 13.35.57.png

So, be careful!

The problem is that when I boot in macOS with 3 DisplayPort plugged in, I can't see the login screen and put the password. If I boot with only 1 DP (DP>mDP in the monitor) I boot without problems.
I suggest you try swapping the DP cables.
You are supposed to connect the main/primary DP (the one with the blue mark) to the video card's DP 1 port (see this)
I have found that with the GTX980ti card the DP1 port to be the one closest to the motherboard or the PCIe slot.
With my GTX1080 it's completely opposite – the port furthest from the motherboard is DP1

Let's hope that the new drivers will fix the 5k issue so I can use this fantastic resolution!
The mouse bug and the fact that I have to power cycle the monitor after boot are the last two big outstanding issues that will hopefully be fixed by a driver update.
Fingers crossed...

Last edited:
I would advise caution when trying that!
Seemed like a good idea so I tried it and the monitor started flickering really bad. Reverting the change unfortunately didn't fix the flicker. I restarted it a few times and tried different connectors and another machine. It's now reduced significantly but still not completely gone.
I suspect it's because the two connections use different resolutions so they cannot be properly mirrored.
View attachment 249843
So, be careful!

I suggest you try swapping the DP cables.
You are supposed to connect the main/primary DP (the one with the blue mark) to the video card's DP 1 port (see this)
I have found that with the GTX980ti card the DP1 port to be the one closest to the motherboard or the PCIe slot.
With my GTX1080 it's completely opposite – the port furthest from the motherboard is DP1

The mouse bug and the fact that I have to power cycle the monitor after boot are the last two big outstanding issues that will hopefully be fixed by a driver update.
Fingers crossed...

Thank you, I will try to solve the display port problem.

But I Think I will try the 5K, hoping not to have the mouse bug with Pascal and the latest drivers (There was a minor update that fixed the night shift problem).
I don't want to sell my monitor, and neither using it in 4K

To be honest, I am using an hot corner to activate the screensaver (fixes temporarily the bug) and disabled "Shake mouse pointer to locate" in Syspref>Accessibility>Display (mitigate the issue). I think I can live with it, until a fix come! Is not as terrible as the monitor is so beautiful.

Is there a way to enable 10 bit?

Last edited:
One last thing, how do I show clover in 5K? I don't really need to show in that resolution, i just need to be able to show it, because so I can choose between Mac or Windows SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back