Contribute
Register

5K Resolution (5120x2880) via NVIDIA Drivers on Dell UltraSharp 27" Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
You do need to use nv_spanmodepolicy tho, correct? And do you still need to keep the 5k monitors off when booting?

For a long while, I had the emu driver and it was prevented nvram from holding on to my spanmodepolicy flag. Once I removed that it remained. So I don't beleive that flag was working. But I was still able to get 5K when there was no board-id being registered by AGDP.

I've never had to worry about keeping monitors off during boot. It has no effect for me. I thought maybe I had to do that and power cycle and all the other things other people have said, but it didn't help for me.

You know, I've tried that with 2 x R9 280x cards and it won't work.

The only way I've managed to get 5K and 2 extra 1080p monitors working was to use a single R9 280x with the 5K connected to 2 minidisplay ports, one monitor connnected to DVI and one to HDMI.

I thought Nvidia would be more stable and require less headache to get working but that's not true. I ended up getting a 980Ti which doesn't really work well with 5K at all and I still have one 280x.

I might try combining the two, maybe this would have 5K working properly but then I won't have the 980Ti's acceleration on the 5K monitor which is not great. Anyway, for working purposes this is fine. For gaming it's meh.

Hm that's interesting that the 5K worked with the non nvidia card without silly board-id or sys def hacks. Makes sense I guess as Apple uses those types of cards more nowadays.

I do a lot of resolve rendering so i don't think i even considered non-nvidia. But perhaps I should! Let me know how you go with trying the 280x in the machine along with your 980.

Just by the remote possibility, is there any improvement concerning cursor glitches under lates release of NVIDIA drivers and Sierra?

Just by the remote possibility, is there any improvement concerning cursor glitches under lates release of NVIDIA drivers and Sierra?
Cursor is still a problem. The cursor may work for awhile, but then it may get so that the cursor is different between the left and right side of the screen and you can see both the left side of one cursor and the right side of the other cursor when the width of the cursor straddles the boundary between the two sides of the screen.

Cursor is still a problem. The cursor may work for awhile, but then it may get so that the cursor is different between the left and right side of the screen and you can see both the left side of one cursor and the right side of the other cursor when the width of the cursor straddles the boundary between the two sides of the screen.
This is exactly the issue that I have been running into with 10.12.3 (16D32) before.
I guess with Dell discontinuing the UP2715K and no nVidia Cards in future Apple products there is a high chance this issue may never get fixed unfortunately

Anyone has the Dell working with 5K enabled with the new Pascal cards (there are new web drivers right now)

Anyone has the Dell working with 5K enabled with the new Pascal cards (there are new web drivers right now)
+1
Especially if they hopefully could solve the mouse pointer bug

I've installed the new driver and the mouse pointer bug is still there.

There's also something weird going on with the CUDA driver. It says that I need to update it but there's no update available.

CUDA problem solved - they rolled out the driver.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back