Contribute
Register

5K Resolution (5120x2880) via NVIDIA Drivers on Dell UltraSharp 27" Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
No 5K Resolution (5120x2880) via NVIDIA Drivers on Dell UltraSharp 27" Monitor

Hello everybody

I'm going crazy with my Hack...

On my MacPro4,1 i use a GTX980, 4 GB (MacVidcards) and a Dell 5K Display for about 6 months. After booting i have to turn off the Display - after turning on again, i have to go to „ResolutionTab“ to select the 2560x1440 HiDPI resolution. This is not especially comfortable but i can life with it.

Now i’m going to setup a Hackintosh: ASUS Maximus Impact IV, Core i7 4770K, Nvidia Geforce GTX980 (PC Version without EFI ROM), 16 GB RAM, 2 x 240 GB SSD as RAID0. I’ve installed El Capitan with Unibeast UEFI Stick. Bootloader is Clover from newest "Multibeast" (loaded newest version yesterday 18.3.2016).

Based on my experiences from the MacPro i installed newest nVidia Webdriver for MacOS 10.11.3, activated HiDpi with the appropriate terminal command, connect GTX980 with Dell 5K by 2 x DisplayPort cables and at last i've checkt arguments „nvda_drv=1“ and „nv_spanmodepolicy=1“ in Clover config.plist resp. in „Clover Configurator“. But unfortunately i did’nt get 2560x1440 HiDPI resolution.

When i try „nvram -p“ in terminal i can see „nvda_drv=1“ but not the second argument „nv_spanmodepolicy=1“.

Does anyone have any suggestions how i can solve that problem?

Thanks a lot

Andy

Attachments

• 2016-03-19_11-21-44.png
    2016-03-19_11-21-44.png
    112.5 KB · Views: 311
Hello everybody

I'm going crazy with my Hack...

On my MacPro4,1 i use a GTX980, 4 GB (MacVidcards) and a Dell 5K Display for about 6 months. After booting i have to turn off the Display - after turning on again, i have to go to „ResolutionTab“ to select the 2560x1440 HiDPI resolution. This is not especially comfortable but i can life with it.

Now i’m going to setup a Hackintosh: ASUS Maximus Impact IV, Core i7 4770K, Nvidia Geforce GTX980 (PC Version without EFI ROM), 16 GB RAM, 2 x 240 GB SSD as RAID0. I’ve installed El Capitan with Unibeast UEFI Stick. Bootloader is Clover from newest "Multibeast" (loaded newest version yesterday 18.3.2016).

Based on my experiences from the MacPro i installed newest nVidia Webdriver for MacOS 10.11.3, activated HiDpi with the appropriate terminal command, connect GTX980 with Dell 5K by 2 x DisplayPort cables and at last i've checkt arguments „nvda_drv=1“ and „nv_spanmodepolicy=1“ in Clover config.plist resp. in „Clover Configurator“. But unfortunately i did’nt get 2560x1440 HiDPI resolution.

When i try „nvram -p“ in terminal i can see „nvda_drv=1“ but not the second argument „nv_spanmodepolicy=1“.

Does anyone have any suggestions how i can solve that problem?

Thanks a lot

Andy

Strange. That should work. On my dual monitor setup, I have it exactly the same and running nvram -p shows only nvda_drv=1; on config.plist I have both nvda and spanmodepolicy in it. Which ports have you connected the "blue dotted" displayport cable? I have mine cabled from the far right and the non-blue dotted one subsequently adjacent. Have you tried power cycle? Have you tried just a mDP to DP and see if you can get 4k resolution on the monitor?

Strange. That should work. On my dual monitor setup, I have it exactly the same and running nvram -p shows only nvda_drv=1; on config.plist I have both nvda and spanmodepolicy in it. Which ports have you connected the "blue dotted" displayport cable? I have mine cabled from the far right and the non-blue dotted one subsequently adjacent. Have you tried power cycle? Have you tried just a mDP to DP and see if you can get 4k resolution on the monitor?

Thanks for your help. Yes power cycle i've tried. The "blue dotted" is like on the picture attached. mDP i can't try - my card has only DP. On the Dell i see first the Bootscreen from ASUS, then Apple the Bootscreen and just when the Desktop should come - i get a black screen and Monitor displays "no Signal". If i connect another Screen to DVI at this point i see the Desktop on the second Screen and the Hackintosh runs quite normally.

Attachments

• IMG_0139.jpg
    IMG_0139.jpg
    664.9 KB · Views: 380
View attachment 176002

10.10.5 + NVIDIA Web Driver 346.02.03f05 + 2xDP1.2 + aforementioned boot flags + power cycle = 5K :headbang:
My mac can power cycle dell up2715k automatically.

1. Buy a Wemo Insight Switch and configure it, and then plug your UP2715k in the Wemo Insight Switch.

2. Install ouimeaux
https://github.com/iancmcc/ouimeaux

3. Use Lingon X to add the script which will be executed when you log in OS X.
Code:
#!/bin/bash
#"wm0" should be your Wemo Insight Switch's name.
wemo switch "wm0" off
sleep 1
wemo switch "wm0" on

Can someone comment if you are getting 10bit color output on your 980 with the Dell 5k monitor? (10.11)

1. Buy a Wemo Insight Switch and configure it, and then plug your UP2715k in the Wemo Insight Switch.

2. Install ouimeaux

Code:
#!/bin/bash
wemo switch "wm0" off
sleep 1
wemo switch "wm0" on
Hi , what boot flags?

2. Install ouimeaux

Code:
#!/bin/bash
wemo switch "wm0" off
sleep 1
wemo switch "wm0" on
Hello , would you be able to help me to fix it too? i7 6700k gigabyte z170n gtx 970 all works well , when i plug the second displayportmac sees two separate screens at 2560 something , i use both boot flags that you guys youse. what can i do?

View attachment 176002

10.10.5 + NVIDIA Web Driver 346.02.03f05 + 2xDP1.2 + aforementioned boot flags + power cycle = 5K :headbang:

hi. i finally make it work too. But look at the screen it is 81,5 inches. Why? And when i house the 5120x2880 in resolution (it is a more screen option in mac screen options) all the pictures, fonts be very very small.

Hello , would you be able to help me to fix it too? i7 6700k gigabyte z170n gtx 970 all works well , when i plug the second displayportmac sees two separate screens at 2560 something , i use both boot flags that you guys youse. what can i do?
You can do it manually, power off your UP2715K, boot your OS X (macOS), power on your monitor after your system is up and ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back