Graphics
GTX 770
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Today I am going to show you how to install Yosemite onto a 5960x configuration :). A few things to note before things begin:

• This is my first hackintosh attempt, it was very frustrating and it was nearly impossible to find a guide for this processor, so I have decided to make one!
  • Not sure if it matters, but it is important that you plug in the USB installer into the USB port that is preferably not USB 3.0
  • This is for the 8 core 5960x only! I have no experience with any other of the X99 chips, but there are many more resources for them online

Section 1: Building the USB Drive

1. Download Yosemite from the Mac App Store on another mac
  2. Download Unibeast from here (I used v5.0.2)
  3. Plug in your USB drive to the computer, open Disk Utility, then click on the USB drive manufacture name
  4. Then click on the “Partition” tab Note: If the tab cannot be found, try clicking on another section
  5. Under “Partition Layout” change the dropdown to “1 Partition”
  6. In the name section enter: “USB” and in the Format dropdown select “Mac OS Extended (Journaled)”
  7. Click apply, and wait a few minutes.
  8. When the format is done, quit Disk Utility. Then run Unibeast, follow the instructions, and don’t select any of the laptop options or legacy support.
  9. Once completed, open Terminal (use spotlight if you are unfamiliar) and run the following command
    Code:
     defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES
    then press enter.
  10. Now type in
    Code:
    killall Finder
    to restart Finder.
  11. Now that all the files on the USB drive are visible, we need to re-arrange and replace some files.
  12. Navigate to /USB/Extra and then delete all of the .kext files
  13. Navigate to /USB/System/Library/Extensions and delete AppleACPIPlatform.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext Note: There are many files with similar file names, make sure you delete the exact ones.
  14. Go to this link: Download and press download. Copy the enclosed .kext files.
  15. Navigate back into /USB/System/Library/Extensions and paste in the files
  16. Now open Terminal again and enter this command:
    Code:
    sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x74\x11\x83\xF8\x3C|\x74\x11\x83\xF8\x3F|g' /Volumes/USB/System/Library/Kernels/kernel
  17. Now open up disk utility, select the USB drive, and then click “Verify Disk Permissions”
  18. Now go back into Terminal and run this command to hide hidden files:
    Code:
    defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles NO
    then type in
    Code:
    killall Finder
    to restart Finder.

Section 2: Installing the OS

1. Boot to the USB drive from your computer you wish to install OS X onto
  2. Then type in
    Code:
    -v -f npci=0x2000 kext-dev-mode=1
    Note: If you have a unsupported graphics card, you will need to add
    Code:
     nv_disable=1
    . Press enter and boot.
  3. You should boot into the installer.
  4. Select the language (english presumably) and then go into Utilities -> Disk Utility
  5. Select your drive and just like before, we are going to partition it Note: This will remove all data on the drive
  6. Under Partition Layout select the dropdown “1 Partition” then click the “Options” button
  7. Select “GUID Partition Table” and press OK
  8. Under Name, type in “Yosemite”
  9. Press “Apply” and then close the window once complete
  10. Continue the installation process, don’t connect to the internet
  11. Once installed make sure the computer doesn’t boot into OS X

Section 3: Preparing for first boot

1. Press F12 when you turn on your computer and boot from the USB drive using the same kernel flags as before. Do not select “Yosemite” make sure “USB” is highlighted.
  2. Select the language as before
  3. Now go into Utilities -> Terminal
  4. This will load terminal and now the fun begins
  5. Go back to your first computer and on a second USB drive, change the name to “COPY” and then create a folder in it titled “kexts”
  6. Now go back to the folder you downloaded previously with the kext files and again copy all the .kext files and paste them into the “kexts” folder you just created on your “COPY” drive
  7. Now go back to the 5960x computer, and plug in the “COPY” drive.
  8. Now we are going to wait 30 seconds to make sure the drive gets recognized
  9. Now enter the following terminal command:
    Code:
    rmdir /Volumes/Yosemite/System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext
    press enter and also type in
    Code:
     rmdir /Volumes/Yosemite/System/Library/Extensions/IOPCIFamily.kext
  10. Now we are going to copy over all of our files on the “COPY” drive using the following command:
    Code:
     cp -R /Volumes/COPY/kexts/. /Volumes/Yosemite/System/Library/Extensions/
  11. Now we need to copy over the patched kernel using this command
    Code:
    cp -R /Volumes/USB/System/Library/Kernels/kernel /Volumes/Yosemite/System/Library/Kernels/kernel
  12. Now go into Disk Utility and then click the button "Repair Disk Permissions"
  13. When done, shut down the computer and then boot into Yosemite using the boot flags from earlier
    Code:
    -v -f npci=0x2000 kext-dev-mode=1

If you run into any errors, post the below and I will do my best to help. Enjoy you guys and I wanted to thank the entire community

Special thanks & credits:

samtimbaud for sending me link to fourm

Stinga11 for essentially doing everything: kernel patch, .kext files and download, assistance to everyone

onmybikedrunk from insanely mac for these instructions

I'm thinking of trying your guide here for a 5960x but wanted to ask what your full spec was first?

Today I am going to show you how to install Yosemite onto a 5960x configuration
Installed on what make and model mainboard? Please create a sig or put the board in your profile.
TIA

@johnkeller101 I have the same exact build, but currently have 2 serious issues:

- Ethernet doesn't work, regardless of all the versions of AppleIntel kexts I could find across all the forums threads.
- Sleep / wake doesn't work properly. Upon a wake (via either power button press, or mouse / keyboard press), the screen either went black (just a mouse cursor on a black screen), or it just outright froze which forced a hard reset.

Do you have these problems as well?

@johnkeller101 I have the same exact build, but currently have 2 serious issues:

- Ethernet doesn't work, regardless of all the versions of AppleIntel kexts I could find across all the forums threads.
- Sleep / wake doesn't work properly. Upon a wake (via either power button press, or mouse / keyboard press), the screen either went black (just a mouse cursor on a black screen), or it just outright froze which forced a hard reset.

Do you have these problems as well?

I got ethernet working, I don't believe I added anything it just worked by default.

As for the sleep/wake, it will not work until Apple officially supports the processor. For right now we are out of luck for that.

hi Johnkeller101,

greatly appreciate your guides, I finally manage to made it into the loading screen before installation,
but it struck half way very long in between the apple logo.

Do you think there is more i should do?
I have followed your guide.

-removing ram to 16gb?
-more boot flag to key in?

here is my build:

I7 5960X
GA x99 UD4
zotac GTX980 4gb
32gb vengeance ddr4 ram
samsung 850 ssd

Greatly appreciate if you can help, rarely people have this build and success.

Make sure to boot with -v and -f in your boot flags. Also let it go for a good 10 minutes before you restart when it gets stuck- sometimes it will snap out of it.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back