Contribute
Register

5960x Yosemite Install Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
You mean from Section 3: Preaping for first boot are your steps below right? Im trying to install 10.10.5 from scratch with 5960x and UD3. Is this the best guide for me?

Figured it out and for anyone else doing an update from 10.10.4 to 10.10.5 who used this guide to get going initially.

What I know you have to do is these steps:

5) Download the 4 kext files from page 1 link...
a) AppleACPIPlatform.kext
b) FakeSMC.kext
c) IOPCIFamily.kext
d) VoodooTSCSync.kext

6) Navigate to "/System/Library/Extensions" and delete
b) IOPCIFamily.kext

7) Copy and paste the 4 kext files from page 1 link into "/System/Library/Extensions" ...
b) FakeSMC.kext
c) IOPCIFamily.kext
d) VoodooTSCSync.kext

What I had done prior and I'm not sure needed to be done was to (after installing the combo 10.10.5) booted into my working 10.10.4 drive and run the kernel patch to the newly installed 10.10.5 kernel. Then I was stuck at PCI Config etc until I completed the kext steps noted above. You might need the nv_disable=1 for the first boot.

I am trying to install yosemite or el capitan in my system. I have followed every tutorial I found here and tried a lot of different kexts and boot flags.
I am always stuck at the same screen. I also replaced the osxaptiofix with the alternative version but still the same. can anyone help me?
:cry:

My system spec is:
Asus rampage v
i7 5960x
2133mhz ddr4 ECC
dual asus strix 980 ti

Attachments

• 20151004_161947.jpg
    20151004_161947.jpg
    547.8 KB · Views: 99
Im stuck at [ PCI configuration begin ]

In step 17:

Now open up disk utility, select the USB drive, and then click “Verify Disk Permissions”

Verify disk permissions was greyed out. Way to fix that? I skipped it. Is that why im having these issues? Thanks

You mean from Section 3: Preaping for first boot are your steps below right? Im trying to install 10.10.5 from scratch with 5960x and UD3. Is this the best guide for me?

Yes, I had to redo those steps I noted for my update to work. And yes, from what I found, this guide helped me the most. I noted a few things in my comments that I had to do slightly differently and it wasn't as easy as following through the steps. Use this guide as a guide, it's not an instruction manual, you may have to steal pieces from others. That what I've found and this is my second build. One thing to note, for me at least, having "Kernel Cache" as Yes in the Plist works significantly better. and if you put 64 GB's in you should go ahead and bump the voltage to 1.3. I've found these 2 true on the X79 and X99

The 5960x install requires some unique steps, which makes this guide very valuable and the OP a genius in my eyes. THANKS!

Yes, I had to redo those steps I noted for my update to work. And yes, from what I found, this guide helped me the most. I noted a few things in my comments that I had to do slightly differently and it wasn't as easy as following through the steps. Use this guide as a guide, it's not an instruction manual, you may have to steal pieces from others. That what I've found and this is my second build. One thing to note, for me at least, having "Kernel Cache" as Yes in the Plist works significantly better. and if you put 64 GB's in you should go ahead and bump the voltage to 1.3. I've found these 2 true on the X79 and X99

The 5960x install requires some unique steps, which makes this guide very valuable and the OP a genius in my eyes. THANKS!

mac.jpg

OK. I have gotten to Section 3: Step 9

But I'm getting the above error. Dont understand. Thanks!

View attachment 162627

OK. I have gotten to Section 3: Step 9

But I'm getting the above error. Dont understand. Thanks!

Does anyone have any ideas? Stuck PLEASE halp! :crazy:

OK I messed up on the step labelling the HDD to Yosemite. I left it Untitled 1. Reinstalled with the proper label. NOW im getting "Directory is not empty" message in Terminal.

Saw this post in this guide:

In Step 9: "rmdir" command line I kept getting the message in the terminal window telling me that the "directory is not empty" I replaced rmdir with rm - r and it removed the files without incident

Tried that and i get:

rm: -: No such file or directory
rm: r: No such file or directory
rm:
/Volumes/Yosemite/System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext is a directory

WTF
:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Please anyone! :beachball:

I cant be the only one who has had this issue???? Can I?

Does anyone have any ideas? Stuck PLEASE halp! :crazy:

OK I messed up on the step labelling the HDD to Yosemite. I left it Untitled 1. Reinstalled with the proper label. NOW im getting "Directory is not empty" message in Terminal.

Saw this post in this guide:

In Step 9: "rmdir" command line I kept getting the message in the terminal window telling me that the "directory is not empty" I replaced rmdir with rm - r and it removed the files without incident

Tried that and i get:

rm: -: No such file or directory
rm: r: No such file or directory
rm:
/Volumes/Yosemite/System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext is a directory

WTF
:banghead::banghead::banghead:

I could be wrong here...but I had a similar problem on my 5960 install with the rm steps and had the same error messages. I recall that I went into the directory/directories and manually deleted the files then backing up deleting the subdirectory. That accomplished the same thing and all worked out ok, so I hope this helps.
I will also try today or tomorrow upgrading from 10.10.3 to 10.10.5 as per an earlier post. We'll see how that works out!

I could be wrong here...but I had a similar problem on my 5960 install with the rm steps and had the same error messages. I recall that I went into the directory/directories and manually deleted the files then backing up deleting the subdirectory. That accomplished the same thing and all worked out ok, so I hope this helps.
I will also try today or tomorrow upgrading from 10.10.3 to 10.10.5 as per an earlier post. We'll see how that works out!

Thank you very very much for the reply. A couple of questions.

1) Do you mean delete X files from the USB install stick post installation? From the actual Yosemite drive? If so, how? Once thats done I boot into the actual OS?

2) I am trying to install 10.10.5 fresh. Could that be an issue?

Again thanks! I've been pulling my hair out

Follow this guide to download OS X Yosemite
http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/how-get-os-x-yosemite-3629363/

The good news is that it's pretty easy to pick up a copy of OS X Yosemite from the App Store - as long as you have previously purchased it. While Apple removes older operating systems from sale, they remain on the system for anybody who has bought them before. So, assuming you had downloaded it in the past, Yosemite should be there for you now (you'll also find Mavericks, Mountain Lion, and Lion).
Here is how to get OS X Yosemite from the App Store.

1. Open the App Store (choose Store > Sign In if you need to log in).
  2. Click Purchased
  3. Scroll down to find OS X Yosemite.
  4. Click Install.
The installer application will be downloaded to your Applications folder (as a file called OS X Yosemite).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back