Contribute
Register

5960x - Titan X - 2x Samsung 4k - Asus X99-E WS - Clover - EFI - SM951

Status
Not open for further replies.
incredible beast! a mac better than a mac! with 4k resolution osx is more mature than windows ;)

No problem and thanks :) My guide will work perfect for your setup, following as is. As for your SM951 install, I am guessing you tried to install clover directly or installed unibeast and can't get into the osx? Neither of these options can be used. If you follow my guide precisely it will make for an easy sm951 install. I have it on an sm951 with basically the same setup. Feel free to let me know where the problem is for you and I can direct you if you're having trouble, otherwise my guide is still perfect to work for you and my updated config.plist attachment with 5,1 bios has done a lot to cut out unnecessary items and has all boot flags. Just don't include it until the very end. I will be updating this post with an OC guide shortly. My OC was pretty modest. I think 4.3 ghz at 100 strap and 2200Mhz ram. I had a defective board that couldn't do XMP because of issues in RAM slots and had to RMA it. The system should get well above my previous scores when my board arrives and I can do the 4.5Ghz and 2800Mhz ram. I'll have the OC guide up sometime this week or next when the board arrives. I use illustrator and much heavier programs no problem. The issue is your install and my guide will get it on the SM951. Goodluck!

This is a fantastic guide and should get many X99ers up and running. I struggled for the longest time getting my X99_deluxe/5960X up and running but was successful in the end. Had this guide been around it would have got me running a lot sooner...so thank you!

I used my Windows boot to use the ASUS AI overclocking utility, which got my computer to 4.5Ghz and ram up to 2400. Then in the Bios I made sure to save that profile to the AI OC utility while dropping the chip down to 4.4Ghz and leaving the ram in place. I should be getting another 32gb tomorrow, so once i get that I will OC again, and maybe bump up the ram speed if need be. I haven't really tried manually taking up the chip to anything above 4.5 Ghz because my geekbench score is pretty good, and I'm already finding my system PSU to getting really hot. This resulted in me getting another 2 intake fans. Currently 6 intake fans and 1 big exhaust fan. Make sure to keep an eye on your system temps.

Screen Shot 2015-08-01 at 2.44.16 AM.pngScreen Shot 2015-07-30 at 10.57.11 AM.png

I added -v -f to the boot flags to see what was up and I'm seeing an error:

OsxAptioFixDrv: AllocateRelocBlock(): can not allocate relocation block (0x1658D pages below 0x100000000): Not Found

edit: looks like this is the same error we heard about from last year, the one people were saying wouldn't let clover work on this board

fake edit 2: I went into windows to download the newest bios for this board, and now I can't boot OSX at all. When I select the non UEFI install the computer instantly reboots. If I select the UEFI install, same behavior, won't get past Clover boot screen.

Did windows corrupt something? I never even updated BIOS or change any settings!

https://nickwoodhams.com/x99-hackin...relocblock-can-not-allocate-relocation-block/

This isnt a problem with my instructions, its fixed by turning off memory allocation type in sata thats mentioned in my settings. I think this may be a strong candidate for stable thunderboltexii I am going to try. I am also debating trying osxaptiofix2 if that doesn't work. As soon Asus starts to haul butt and get my board Ill be tryin them for out for the thunderbolt.

@lindgren I haven't looked at my card OC. I use CUDA and rely heavily on the memory side of the card. Ill check out my numbers when MB gets here and let you know. If you find a problem and fix, please update for others and so I can add it to the guide. I am guessing you have the newest and correct Nvidia driver and its working ok besides your scores? Anything related to your issues are likely graphics driver related and not clover. Typically a graphics card is meant for windows or osx, and full support requires you to have something like a 980ti or titan x to be flashed from one system to another. I think the site "macvideocards"? or something does this for $150 but I'm not certain how it effects performance in windows after the fact. I'd contact them to learn about it. Typically they are more geared to users with actual macpro upgrades or fully dedicated hackintoshes. I've been interested in learning this and know little about it.

I was using Luxmark to test the Open CL, also good to get CUDA-z and verify your cuda is working correctly.

Currently using k2200 as my GUI monitor, and 2 x 980 TI cards for playing red epic footage and layering colour grades in DaVinci Resolve

This is a fantastic guide and should get many X99ers up and running. I struggled for the longest time getting my X99_deluxe/5960X up and running but was successful in the end. Had this guide been around it would have got me running a lot sooner...so thank you!

Bradish, could you tell me the boot flags that you end up using to boot from UNIBEAST. Also can someone detail me right after done prepare the unibeast drive and done copying the files need it to copy into unibeast, What are the check boxes that I need to tick on kext wizard to rebuild files. TIA

An update not worries I got the setup rolling, I use the same boot flags as describe on the guide, the reason been no luck before was a human error from my side, so far so good I'm still installing, when finish I will report the results at less so far have recognize the CPU and Ram.

Well got in and download a file from this site with my successful setup from this guide, but not graphic acceleration as of yet, iI will keep tweaking. Thanks for your wonderful guide, TIA.

An update not worries I got the setup rolling, I use the same boot flags as describe on the guide, the reason been no luck before was a human error from my side, so far so good I'm still installing, when finish I will report the results at less so far have recognize the CPU and Ram.

Well got in and download a file from this site with my successful setup from this guide, but not graphic acceleration as of yet, iI will keep tweaking. Thanks for your wonderful guide, TIA.

No problem, I am happy to help people. Graphics acceleration requires a driver and no tweaking. It mentions this in my guide, but I bet there is just a difference in our language. Here is a link to the current driver you need.

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/88655/en-us

^ Note. Above link is the current Nvidia driver as of 07/30/2015. It is up to date as of 08/07/2015 but I'd advise anybody reading this guide in the future to google [ nvidia driver "your card" osx ] for up to date drivers. You won't see your card listed to be supported, since it is not native. It works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back