Contribute
Register

5960x - Titan X - 2x Samsung 4k - Asus X99-E WS - Clover - EFI - SM951

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn I was under the impression you had got this build to work with Thunderbolt...

Are you putting the EXII into your PCI Slot 2? When I have SATA express enabled and a TB drive plugged I can see the drive in the BIOS, and see it in windows as well.... The issues is that to do this I need 4g decoding enabled, and that hangs my OSX boot.. Will keep plugging away on my end. Have another 980ti coming tomorrow, so that will be a k2200 and 2 x 980ti cards. Curious to see how the system adjusts to that. Thankfully I went with the 1500w power supply.

@smak - yea I am plugging into slot 2. I guess slots 3 and 5 for SLI are supposedly just as good as 1 and 3 since 1 is lost with the card in 2. This is not a fix, but I have one theory to the trouble the X99E-WS is having with thunderboltexii and wanted you guys to test it out for me. Download Asus PC Diagnostics and run the RTC test. Let me know if it fails. I ask this, because I think in a moment of hurry Asus shipped out a ton of faulty X99E-WS boards and I want to determine if its a problem for you. I am doing an RMA on my board, but can't send it in until I finish a fellowship I am writing. I know of a good bit of people that did or are doing an RMA on the board and all the new boards seem to work nicely for overclocking. The RTC failure would signify a problem that these boards have RAM. The boards are fine with OC at 100MHz strap up to 4.4GHZ even, but can't be OC in XMP or 125+MHZ strap to even 3.5GHZ (5960x). The system fails and restarts. I know this is the issue with my board and want you guys to check to see if it is an issue for you guys. Its a quick test and will save a lot of time if it is.

I've actually had this same issue, and just assumed I was doing something wrong with the bios that it couldn't boot properly. I'll try and check RTC test. When I had the 2 x 980ti's in my system the computer gets incredibly hot... I thought it was going to warp the plastic window on my case kinda hot. So I had to switch back to 1 x 980ti's for the time being. I also noticed that my 1500i power supply was getting really hot, and the fan wasn't going on in OSX, so I had to use the CorsairLink utility (Windows) to boost up the fan to 60% to keep it cool. I also turned the case fans up to turbo to keep the temperature down. All of this is loud, but I turned off speed step in the bios to get a faster geekbench score so the chip cooler is already louder than everything :)

@rbbunmc Everything seems find after doing ASUS PC Diagnostics. Even with the second GTX980ti I'm still finding my 1500i PSU running a bit hot, so I've installed an additional side fan to increase the air flow. I found my geekbench score decreased when I changed the system definition to 5,1. But I just did this temporarily in the clover options by changing from 3,1 to 5,1 in both instances it's displayed. Do you get a better score with the 5,1. What was your main reason for switching?

Have you had any luck with the new BIOS? Is there any reason not to do the update?

@SMAK switched to 5,1 for funsies and will try geekbench on 3,1. Did you run a 32bit or 64bit? I will definitely be trying back to 3,1 if it is OC better. I think I will be able to RMA out my board this weekend so should be able to know right away if its a memory problem associated with my defective board. And even if its not directly, Ill be able to make the necessary changes finally to get to a fix without having to find out if its a thunderbolt or RLC causing a reboot. I have a coolermaster II case and H110i GT watercooler. I might try that program you mentioned. The system runs very at cool at 40oC and about 60-70oC on the cores when OC to 4.47 GHz at 100 strap. I haven't looked at the TitanX temps, but they,re certainly hot enough to make you sweat when your face is at the back of the system. I REALLY need to sit down and change my fan settings though, because I swear it isnt automatically adjusting. Always going full blast and pretty annoying. Ill let you know if the new board helps me overcome the last of my intermittent issues on the thunderboltexii. Good luck in the mean time!

I tried it in 64 bit mode for Geekbench.

Would you be able to re-uploaded your post install EFI with 5,1 profile set? I tried copying from your clover configurator screen grabs but booting locked up.

Also I always have to insert the kernal flag debug=0x14e. This is the only way I can actually boot.

@smak OSX is not allowing me to zip my EFI at the moment. I think I need to move a DSDT.aml from it first and will try in the morning. In the meantime I uploaded a congif.plist from it that might work for you and I'll send the whole EFI in the morning. I also made you a second version of a config.plist that I can send you if ever needed that includes debug0x14e in case you are typing it and don't want to. You shouldn't need to type that though. Its a sign that you didn't properly patch your kernel or possibly didn't repair your permissions. When your up and running I would open up terminal and type in the commands to patch your kernel and then run kextwizard on your pc to repair your permissions. debug0x14e is an old method needed before the patch. If you used the patch kernbel command I posted, use someone elses. Its unlikely, but possible that I had a typo. I re-attached the old EFI files here as well and my new config.plist. I'll upload my new current EFI in the morning.

Attachments

• config.plist
    4.3 KB · Views: 326
  • EFI-post-install.zip
    19.4 MB · Views: 225
  • EFI-clover-bootloader.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 147
@rbbunmc Thanks again, I used those and patched my kernel again, kext wizard. No problem! Can now boot without debug=0x14e

On another note, updated my Bios to 1201 and it seems to be running well. I took another swing at thunderbolt drive mounting and came across this.

Left SATA_EXPRESS on under Onboard device Controls
Restarted with Thunderbolt header cable connected. Turned on Thunderbolt and 4G decoding enabled under boot in the bios.
Restarted and selected my Yosemite clover boot. It starts to boot, then resets on it own...!! Garb..
Press F2 to enter bios and turn off the Thunderbolt, and 4g decoding to disabled. Save and reset.
Booted from my Yosemite Clover to find the thunderbolt drive mounted on my desktop!

There was no preferences network dialog that identified a thunderbolt adapter. But it certainly mounted the drive as a SATA 1tb drive... Terrible transfer speeds. Will need to see if that was just the drive. But I'm slowly moving forward.

The weird thing is that on that reboot after I disabled the 4g decoding and turned off tb there was a bios message about Asmedia Gen2 selected. So even with tb and 4g turned off the bios temporarily sees mounted media. But upon the next restart it's gone.

@smak Hmmm I will be sure to check this out. I just sent my board out for RMA today and will be able to check it out early next week. I can't wait, seems like you've made some progress. Keep note of it :) I think there are two options for speed that ASUS mentions, you have to do both for full speed. One method is to increase to 128MB memory under thunderbolt. The other is to change to x4 under some setting I can't think of off the top of my head (it disables a couple of your usb ports, can't remember which ones). Anyway it sounds very close! :D If it has disappeared try to walk through your previous procedure a couple times to replicate the recognition and (but hopefully not) loss. You have reached about where I am. You know its compatible and just have to pinpoint the problem to make it stable. I can't wait to get the board back and get back to finding the fix. As mentioned before, keep us up to date if you beat me. It will help alot of people, including me :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back