Contribute
Register

5960x - Titan X - 2x Samsung 4k - Asus X99-E WS - Clover - EFI - SM951

Status
Not open for further replies.
(working) 5960x - Titan X - 2x Samsung 4k - Asus X99-E WS - Clover - EFI - SM951

Hmmm I'll check this out more when I get home today. In the mean time, thunderboltexii must be removed entirely from the build until it is stable. I have one and it causes major headaches even if disabled during installs. Leaves hanging at pciexpress or automatic install. As for nvidia drivers not sticking it's likely because you have bc_disable=1 or lack the other command nv_dra=1 (something like that I'm on my phone and can't look.) It forces nvidia driver to load over osx) Also as my config.plist shows do not inject any video drivers, it causes a panic. I suggest you restore your bios and follow my instructions completely. All of the necessary files are there and shouldn't be causing a problem for you based on your configuration. My guide is based off of many oth x99-e ws builds so it is likely just you are missing one little step. It's probably the toughest board to work with. And remember pull out thunderboltexii until it's all done.

@rbbuncmc What are you using your system for? Have you tried and video editing apps? My biggest problem with this build was getting the nvda_drv=1 to actually stick. Even when set in my boot.plist it still didn't seem to activate the driver. Then when I tried it with a native OSX gpu and had another PCI card slot filled it would lock on boot.

Have you got the thunderbolt working? Even post install? Or should I just remove it all together?

@smak its a nightmare have you gotten audio working?

I have had problems with graphics card sticking only when I deviate from MacPro 3,1. It seems important to stick there. However the issue I have is the screen won't boot correctly and TitanX fails. I guess the most important thing if its not sticking is to make sure you have the right up to date web driver from nvidia and that you go into the settings and make it set as active over osx driver. It is unclear how it wouldn't stick if you have nvda_drv=1 in bootflags though. The purpose of the flag is to force the driver. Maybe if your config.plist accidentally has integrated graphics enabled it could be another source of the problem.

I can confirm that thunderboltexii can be used, but it needs to be in slot2 which means any respectable graphics card has to go to slot 3 since it blocks 2 when in 1. The drivers must be pre-installed in windows and options set to legacy mode for thunderbolt in bios. Even then it can go to crap if you make even one small change on the system. The good news is you take it out and your good to boot. I think the key to fixing many of the problems, including the thunderbolt one is going to be transferring the EFI partition drive from diskXs1 to diskXs2 which is the bootdrive. The issue is once its a primary boot drive I am not sure exactly the steps to easily get it off if needed.

I do cancer research, my workload is primarily insanely complex computational methods that require cuda, suck up 32+ GB RAM and all 16 thread cores. Also a lot of graphic and 3d editing in Illustrator. I can tell you the equipment can easily do it on my hackintosh setup, but video editing is something I haven't done. I wouldn't expect any issues based on my workload though.

@r2tincan

Every one of the problems you described is owed to the -x -f. They should be removed after the graphics are installed in clover. You can't access msdos mode in safe mode to get to the efi drive. There is a work around to this though. Download EFImounter2 and mount your correct EFI partition. You can't use cloverconfigurator with it, but you can...

1) Enter EFI folder and delete config.plist and backupconfig.plist
2) Manually copy and paste my config.plist file from clover post install in their place and it will stick.

But it is critical you delete the first config.plist as copy/paste/replace doesn't actually "replace". Try to get into unibeast or clover and I'll get you my phone# to call me tomorrow (or you can give me yours) to troubleshoot it out. I'm not sure tonymacx86 policy on contact info sharing although wouldn't expect it to be a problem.

@smak its a nightmare have you gotten audio working?

I have had problems with graphics card sticking only when I deviate from MacPro 3,1. It seems important to stick there. However the issue I have is the screen won't boot correctly and TitanX fails. I guess the most important thing if its not sticking is to make sure you have the right up to date web driver from nvidia and that you go into the settings and make it set as active over osx driver. It is unclear how it wouldn't stick if you have nvda_drv=1 in bootflags though. The purpose of the flag is to force the driver. Maybe if your config.plist accidentally has integrated graphics enabled it could be another source of the problem.

I can confirm that thunderboltexii can be used, but it needs to be in slot2 which means any respectable graphics card has to go to slot 3 since it blocks 2 when in 1. The drivers must be pre-installed in windows and options set to legacy mode for thunderbolt in bios. Even then it can go to crap if you make even one small change on the system. The good news is you take it out and your good to boot. I think the key to fixing many of the problems, including the thunderbolt one is going to be transferring the EFI partition drive from diskXs1 to diskXs2 which is the bootdrive. The issue is once its a primary boot drive I am not sure exactly the steps to easily get it off if needed.

I do cancer research, my workload is primarily insanely complex computational methods that require cuda, suck up 32+ GB RAM and all 16 thread cores. Also a lot of graphic and 3d editing in Illustrator. I can tell you the equipment can easily do it on my hackintosh setup, but video editing is something I haven't done. I wouldn't expect any issues based on my workload though.

@r2tincan

Every one of the problems you described is owed to the -x -f. They should be removed after the graphics are installed in clover. You can't access msdos mode in safe mode to get to the efi drive. There is a work around to this though. Download EFImounter2 and mount your correct EFI partition. You can't use cloverconfigurator with it, but you can...

1) Enter EFI folder and delete config.plist and backupconfig.plist
2) Manually copy and paste my config.plist file from clover post install in their place and it will stick.

But it is critical you delete the first config.plist as copy/paste/replace doesn't actually "replace". Try to get into unibeast or clover and I'll get you my phone# to call me tomorrow (or you can give me yours) to troubleshoot it out. I'm not sure tonymacx86 policy on contact info sharing although wouldn't expect it to be a problem.
Thanks. Second time around I wasn't booting without safe mode. I'll try again tonight.

I really appreciate the help. I can't figure out why the first time I was able to boot fine with cover USB in efi and second time I wasn't.

I'm trying AGAIN and having similar problems and I've noticed some files I'm copying over to the clover USB have file dates in the FUTURE once they're copied over to the USB. When I download a fresh zip, extract it onto my mac HD there is the correct date.

Is this causing the problem? Google is no help here. WTF OSX

edit: this is where everything is going wrong:

Section 8: UEFI Support and Booting with CLOVER

Step 1: Insert the Clover boot USB and open bios in the install PC

Step 2: Boot to UEFI:(name of your USB)

Step 3: At Bootloader screen look for option like “Open OS X on Yosemite”. Hit enter

- Note I preloaded “-x -v -f npci=0x3000 kext-dev-mode=1 nv_disable=1” for you so you don’t need to type

Step 4: It will boot into Yosemite

Step 5: Download proper web driver for your NVIDIA card

Step 6: Install web driver for your NVIDIA card

Step 7: Restart the computer

Step 8: Boot to UEFI:(name of your USB)

Step 9: At Bootloader screen look for option like “Open OS X on Yosemite”. Hit enter

Step 10: It will boot into Yosemite

Step 11: Under System Preferences is NVIDIA drivers - Change options to “Webdriver” from “native OS X graphics driver”

Step 12: It may ask you to restart, if so… do so… and boot as you did previously two times

So on first boot with the EFI partition, I don't enter any boot flags (because you said you entered in the necessary ones), and booting fails after PCI Configuration Begin. This worked my first time.

Now, however, it fails, so I checked the boot flags under "options" and I noticed -f -x and npci=0x3000 is missing, and instead it's "-v npci=0x2000 nv_disable=1 and kext-dev-mode=1" only. So, I enter in the appropriate kexts that were supposed to be there. I checked the .plist from the zip files you hosted and the boot flags without the -x and -f and 0x3000 are the ones present there? So I'm not sure what's up.

Regardless, after I use these flags I can boot, but 90% of the times I can boot I get a sinning wheel after attempting to enter my password and log in.

When I can actually download the nvidia drivers, I install them, the computer asks me to restart, and THEN which boot flags am I supposed to enter? How do I SAVE bootflags in clover?

Thanks

edit 2: got this to boot -- only with adding the debug=0x14e flag. How are you getting it to boot without that? hahaha. tia

edit 3: what system profile are you using? I was using 6,1 on chameleon and it was working fine, but in clover when I use the magic wand in clover configurator, my hack starts up with a black screen after the apple logo. I can still boot with nv_Disable=1. I need to use a mac pro definition for some features. Any idea on this one?

edit 4: I just noticed, while my system seems to be up and running fine, the nVidia utility is showing that I'm running on the OSX default driver.... but everything looks and is running great. I think the FIRST time I installed and switched it over after I noticed it in a similar situation and that's when everything turned to ****.

edit 5: What do you use to configure clover? Do we have to install any other special kexts related to USB 3, SSDs, graphics cards, etc? In chameleon we had to select a bunch of things but are most of these automatically added in clover? Online documentation regarding this is very ambiguous. I'm hoping you already know what to do since you have this board. :)

edit 6: does clove need a special sleep fix? I walked away from my computer, came back and it was asleep and wouldn't wake up. :(

thanks so much

I'm not sure about sleep fixes, I hate sleep and screen saver so just turn them off in settings. Clover should be in Mac pro 3,1 to work and never 6,1. There is a problem with 6,1 and several systems. I'm on phone, but I'll explain more later on my pc.

Have you found any way to get a trashcan profile to work?

Also, someone from another forum emailed me and said this was booting clover in legacy mode. Is that true? I'm not sure of the difference. Thanks

My trashcan works. How it boots is dependent on how you setup clover. If you choose EFI it will setup as that. Its easy to tell in your bios based on if it says "drive" or "UEFI(drive)". If you are using NVME or M.2 for your system it needs to be EFI or isn't bootable. If there is a situation where clover can boot EFI, but run legacy than thats a different story and I'd like to know so I can fix it. If you install the EFI partition then its not legacy. For example, if you try to run cloverALC audio fix it will say an EFI partition can't be found, do you want to install in legacy mode? If you mount the EFI partition the installer patch recognizes the EFI and installs on the EFI partition. Installs don't automatically recognize an EFI partition unless its mounted. I think if you change the EFI partion from diskXs1 to the bootdisk diskXs2, it might represent a more native EFI in terms of installs, but I don't know how easy it is to make changes in clover after this happens so I haven't done it. If your install is good, copy your EFI folders to a backup USB disk and start playing with bootflags and settings. You should only need npci=0x3000, the driver flag, and kext-dev-mode=1. My APCI list doesn't require any fixes to be checked off either to work. Just make sure not to use macpro 6,1. I'm up for someone fixing my understanding of EFI vs legacy, but no it shouldn't be legacy mode.

rbbunmc I would like to sincerely thank you for this thread. It helped me get over the hump with my system, and actually get multiple PCI cards working and finally get some solid scores in my Geekbench. I used the ASUS OC tool on Windows to bump up my CPU to 4.3, and then pulled it back in the BIOS just to make sure it wasn't putting too much stress on the chip.

I have a Soundblaster OMNI 5.1 and Blackmagic 4k 12g card, so I can put audio out of both of these no problems.

My only area now that I'm running in circles with is the Thunderbolt EXII card.

1) In order to get the card recognizing on my ASUS x99-e WS I had to follow this guideline found on Adobe's forum and Reduser:
Try the following:
Pull TB card but leave cable plugged in.
Go into the bios
Go to advanced mode
Go to the boot tab
Disable fast boot
Int19 trap response - change to postponed
Above 4G Decoding - Change to enabled.
Save and exit.

2) Once I did this I still couldn't get Windows to recognize an external thunderbolt drive. It recognized the thunderbolt port... But couldn't mount a drive. So upon some testing I went into the Bios with the EXII card unplugged and turned back on SATA_EXPRESS ( against your system guideline). After doing this, replugging in the EXII card and booting into window I was able to mount the external thunderbolt drive and see all the drive contents. Awesome! Almost there.

3) Back to booting with clover and Yosemite, and of coarse memory issues as rbbunmc has stated. So I unplug the thunderbolt card go back into bios. Turn off SATA_EXPRESS_E1, plug back in EXII. Now it won't even boot into the bios...

4) Turned off Above 4G Decoding, replugged in the EXII card, and rebooted. Back to booting into Clover/Yosemite no problem. But thunderbolt doesn't boot. Try booting Windows and again... Shows the thunderbolt port, but not the drive mounted to it...

I seem to have exhausted my options. I haven't had much luck swapping PCI slots either. I'm following most tonymac guidelines of using legacy mode, and setting the cache to 128. Even removing AppleThunderboltNHI.kext, all to no avail.

Is there something I'm missing here? I'm on the latest ASUS Bios FWIW.

@smak I am happy I could help you out and glad you were able to validate aftermarket cards since I am thinking this an option. A new BIOS was released yesterday, but I haven't updated yet. If it doesn't fix the ThunderboltEXII issue, I am working on a fix. One fix to try is to change from "personal id" to "legacy" under Thunderbolt in BIOS. Another important thing to remember when testing is OS X doesn't appear to be hotmount the harddrives plugged into ThunderboltEXII so I keep the harddrive plugged in at startup. Legacy doesn't appear to work in windows so the tedious problem of this is having to switch BIOS with changing OS. I am a little ahead of you in that I am able to use it in both OS with that tweak. Depending on changes I make, I have similar problems with unbootable OS when ThunderboltEXII is plugged the PCI. I have to unplug and get back into OS X when this happens. Its odd that these random events happen, but the good news is, it validates a fix is possible and I am narrowing down the cause to get full stable support. I am going to update and test the new BIOS today. If no fix is present, I will continue on finding a fix. This has been a tough one, but I think I am close to a solution. If you check on this guide periodically, I'll update when a fix is found. I also appreciate if you could do the same if you beat me to a fix. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back