Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus > need model # > See Rules!
CPU
i7-3930K
Graphics
GTX 680
Do I have any options at all to install Catalina on a X99 system with a GTX 980?

I am not looking for drivers or support for the GPU, I am just looking to MacOS Catalina installed on my X99 system before I sell my MacBook Pro. I have just built a new Ryzen based gaming PC and thought about turning my old system into a hackintosh rather than it just gather dust. I know the 980 isn't supported, I have been trying to get a cheap enough RX 580 for a while now to go in my eGPU dock but never had no luck, they seem to be really expensive used so was hoping I could at least get MacOS booting then can have a play around until I can source an AMD gpu.

i7 5960X
Asus X99 Deluxe II U3.1
GTX 980
32GB Corsair DDR4 Dominator Platinum
Samsung NVMe x 2

I would like to dual boot W10 and MacOS, I have seen some older threads runing 10.13 with X99 but hoping I can run 10.15

Do I have any options at all to install Catalina on a X99 system with a GTX 980?

I am not looking for drivers or support for the GPU, I am just looking to MacOS Catalina installed on my X99 system before I sell my MacBook Pro. I have just built a new Ryzen based gaming PC and thought about turning my old system into a hackintosh rather than it just gather dust. I know the 980 isn't supported, I have been trying to get a cheap enough RX 580 for a while now to go in my eGPU dock but never had no luck, they seem to be really expensive used so was hoping I could at least get MacOS booting then can have a play around until I can source an AMD gpu.

i7 5960X
Asus X99 Deluxe II U3.1
GTX 980
32GB Corsair DDR4 Dominator Platinum
Samsung NVMe x 2

I would like to dual boot W10 and MacOS, I have seen some older threads runing 10.13 with X99 but hoping I can run 10.15.

You may be able to get Catalina installed on your system, but as you are aware yourself there is no support for the GTX 980 on MacOS Catalina and the system will essentially be crippled (assuming you are able to get Catalina installed) until you can get a supported AMD GPU (e.g. RX 580) to replace the GTX 980.

Why don't you try it yourself and see if this can be done?

Sorry I should have included I had already tried and failed, catalina boots to the Apple loading bar but then just reboots my system.

I have also been trying older versions of macOS on VMware which I get to the install and then tells me the install is corrupt.

I don't really want to buy a RX580 if I still can't do it because the 980 is fine outside of macOS.

If you want 980 to work, then go back to High Sierra. No other options.

If you are unwilling to abandon your GTX 980, and still want to run MacOS effectively, then you have to
(1) go back to High Sierra, or
(2) build another machine for MacOS in which you can get a supported AMD GPU (or CPU integrated graphics).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back