Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI X99A SLI PLUS
CPU
Graphics
Vega 64
Hey there,

I think this is a FCPX and Mojave question.

My 5930K has no iGPU. Currently I'm running Sierra on one drive. I've installed Mojave on another. It works great except for the video which is stretched and not accelerated. I currently have a GTX 970 gpu. Works great on Sierra. But I want to start working in FCPX. The latest trial I downloaded requires at least High Sierra.

So I can try and update / install High Sierra on a drive and use the wonky Nvidia drivers. Or I can buy a used RX 580 or Vega to use with Mojave. But... I as I understand it, the AMD cards don't do H.264 and folks have to rely on iGPU. If I don't have that, then am I screwed?

Last edited:
Really in a quandary. I have to remedy this issue in a couple of days.

Hey there,

I think this is a FCPX and Mojave question.

My 5930K has no iGPU. Currently I'm running Sierra on one drive. I've installed Mojave on another. It works great except for the video which is stretched and not accelerated. I currently have a GTX 970 gpu. Works great on Sierra. But I want to start working in FCPX. The latest trial I downloaded requires at least High Sierra.

So I can try and update / install High Sierra on a drive and use the wonky Nvidia drivers. Or I can buy a used RX 580 or Vega to use with Mojave. But... as I understand it, the AMD cards don't do H.264 and folks have to rely on iGPU. If I don't have that, then am I screwed?

If, as you said, "the AMD cards don't do H.264" and you don't have an iGPU, should the software just use the CPU to do the job? Think of the iMac Pro : It uses AMD Vega GPUs, and the Xeon CPUs it uses do not have iGPUs. How does FCPX then do its job on an iMac Pro?

Last edited:
From dezinezync over on ******:

"I am on X99-5820K.

Just finished my Mojave update today. Have everything working except correct USB 3.0 speeds.

https://imgur.com/a/FkbN9pg

In HS, everytime I tried a H264 encode, the entire OS used to come to a stand-still. This has been corrected in Mojave now that the RX580 correctly uses the RadeonFramebuffer in Mojave (as seen here: RadeonFramebuffer-IOReg) which no longer relies on an iGPU as you correctly stated.

I can further confirm that: H264, HEVC 8-bit both use the GPU. Additionally, HEVC 10-bit also seems to use the GPU now.

Transcoding was ProRes 422 to respective format in all cases."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back