Graphics
ATI Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 Vapor-X
Mac
  1. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
hi, i would like to hear the opinions of your guys out there.
which brand should i go for. and does the 2gb version of 5780 works?

As xbb said above, the GTX 460 is not supported yet. If you are looking for a Radeon card, of the three choices above, definitely go for the 5870. The single 5770 does not exceed or even match it in performance, and the 2 5770's just barely match 1 5870. With the 5870, setup will be easier then 2 5770's, and you will require less power and produce less heat then 2 cards.

But, about the GTX 460, it's all up to you. You can get it and wait for support to come(Although it may never come), like I am, or just not get it at all. I love the card(In windows and linux at least.) because it can keep up crysis warhead on gamer settings on my 1080p 23.6" with a clear 30FPS, and the card is only 199 or 230 bucks. Not to mention the temps at full load do not go over 75 C(And this is with EVGA's FPB and my 9800 GT at full load in the same case). It's an awesome card, although it would be even better if I could get it working in OS X. Here's to hoping it come with 10.6.5(But I doubt it).

If you want, read this article by Tech Report. It ranks ton of cards together in benchmarks. Not only that but it also shows 2/3 card configurations of CrossfireX and SLI.

hm ok in that case which brand of 5870 would be the best bet for it to work in 64 bit mode. should i go for reference cards? or oc verion and 2gb version is fine?

boomslang20117 said:
hm ok in that case which brand of 5870 would be the best bet for it to work in 64 bit mode. should i go for reference cards? or oc verion and 2gb version is fine?
As far as what works in 64 bit, and the 2GB version compatibility, I don't know as I have never worked with Radeon cards in a hackintosh. But I can tell you which brands I would recommend: HIS, Sapphire, XFX.

so i guess a sapphire vapor oc version would work too since most of the brands out there are exactly the same as the reference card except it's being rebadged. except sapphire use their own cooler.

anyway i took the plunge and bought a sapphire 5870 vapor x oc edition. works fine oob. except that i'm running in 32 bit mode now. can't wait for 64bit.

but Does QE/Cl Works in 5870?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back