Intel - i5 2500k @ 4.30Ghz
Graphics
Nvidia Asus 560ti DC II TOP
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Anybody else with a Nvidia 560ti started getting freezes with the latest driver updates/10.8.3?

First noticed when upgrading to 10.8.3. OS X will boot fine. After leaving the OS idle for a small amount of time or whilst doing no graphics intensive work the computer will lock up but the mouse will still be moveable and I can still hear things like volume changes working.

I have also tried using the latest Nvidia drivers on 10.8.2 and the same effects are replicated after 10.8.2 has worked fine for moths with the Apple provided drivers.

Kinda bummed at this seeing as my system has been running pretty smooth for quite some time now.

Syther101

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE With Fix/Work around
After testing multiple things we have come to the conclusion that while editing your AGPM kext did drastically reduce the number of freezes this is not the main cause of the problem. Another forum member by the name of dan542 has came up with a great solution to the problem. Seeing as editing the AGPM kext only made the freezes less frequent we narrowed it down to a driver problem managing processes on the GPU. By using the app he created (Which I have attached below) it uses one or more channels while your computer is on in the background, after testing so far it seems to "fix" these freezes.

Download freeze fix app
I have also uploaded the app again here as I know if the file gets moved in his dropbox it will break the above link.

To make using this app most efficient add it to your login items under System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items
Making sure you:
1. Don't check for the app to be hidden when launching (Doing so will cause the app to not run correctly and you will continue to get freezes).
2. Add the program to the login items of any other users that use the computer as it will not open for other users if not set.

Again credit for making the app goes to dan542

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Instructions for Editing AGPM Kext
While we are now using a different solution to the freezing problem I personally found editing my DSDT slowed down the freezes and made my graphics in total a bit more stable so I have left the instruction below. Thanks goes to dan542 for this great simple guide on the process as some articles online didn't explain the whole process very well :)

How to patch your AGPM

0. You cannot use MacPro3,1 system definition, as it will not load the AGPM kext, I recommend that you use MacPro5,1. You can do that easily using MultiBeast:
macpro5%2C1.png

Also, when you're using MacPro5,1 system definition, don't forget to delete AppleTyMCEDriver.kext from /System/Library/Extensions, as it may prevent you from booting.

1. Locate AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext in /System/Library/Extensions, then right/ctrl-click it and choose "Show package contents" to open it.

2. Open the Contents directory. You should see a file named "Info.plist", open it in a text editor of your choice. (the default TextEdit.app will do just fine)

3. Using cmd+F locate the MacPro5,1 section.

4. Now, you need to find your GPU's Device ID, it's under About This Mac -> More Info... -> System Report... -> PCI Cards. Vendor ID will be always
0x10de for Nvidia. My GTX 560 Ti's Device ID is 0x1200.

5. Change the "<key>Vendor10deDevice05e2</key>" accordinally. I have changed mine to "<key>Vendor10deDevice1200</key>".

6. Now, you need to change the Threshold Low and High numbers, here's what I use:
Code:
							<key>Threshold_High</key>
							<array>
								<integer>55</integer>
								<integer>40</integer>
								<integer>60</integer>
								<integer>100</integer>
							</array>
							<key>Threshold_Low</key>
							<array>
								<integer>0</integer>
								<integer>75</integer>
								<integer>90</integer>
								<integer>100</integer>
							</array>
Basically, you can use anything you find on the internet, just remember to keep those 100s in last rows. This will prevent you card from going to state 3 (it will go there only if 100% idle...), which is where those freezes occur.

7. If you want to see how your GPU switches between those power states in Console, change that 0 under LogControl to 1.

8. Now you should be done with editing Info.plist. This is how mine looks like with changes highlighted:
Code:
				<key>MacPro5,1</key>
				<dict>
					<key>Vendor10deDevice[color=red]1200[/color]</key>
					<dict>
						<key>Heuristic</key>
						<dict>
							<key>ID</key>
							<integer>0</integer>
							<key>IdleInterval</key>
							<integer>250</integer>
							<key>SensorOption</key>
							<integer>1</integer>
							<key>SensorSampleRate</key>
							<integer>4</integer>
							<key>TargetCount</key>
							<integer>5</integer>
							<key>Threshold_High</key>
							<array>
								<integer>[color=red]55[/color]</integer>
								<integer>[color=red]40[/color]</integer>
								<integer>[color=red]60[/color]</integer>
								<integer>[color=red]100[/color]</integer>
							</array>
							<key>Threshold_Low</key>
							<array>
								<integer>[color=red]0[/color]</integer>
								<integer>[color=red]75[/color]</integer>
								<integer>[color=red]90[/color]</integer>
								<integer>[color=red]100[/color]</integer>
							</array>
						</dict>
						<key>LogControl</key>
						<integer>[color=red]1[/color]</integer>
						<key>control-id</key>
						<integer>18</integer>
					</dict>

9. Finally you should repair permissions and rebuild cache. I recommend using Kext Wizard for this:
kextwizard.png

Alternatively, you can do "sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions" in terminal and repair permissions from Disk Utility.

10. Reboot and enjoy!

Motherboard
EVGA P55 Micro SLI
CPU
i5-760
Graphics
GTX 760
Classic Mac
  1. 512K
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I having the EXACT same issues with 10.8.3.

I don't know what to do.

Cheers!

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P - Windows 8 and Mountain Lion dual boot
CPU
Graphics
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Small update. This is my console log as the crash happens on 10.8.2. with the latest Nvidia drivers.

Now going to update to 10.8.3 and see if the same error is reported with the Apple supplied drivers.

Screen%20Shot%202013-03-18%20at%2000.48.48.png

Motherboard
EVGA P55 Micro SLI
CPU
i5-760
Graphics
GTX 760
Classic Mac
  1. 512K
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Small update. This is my console log as the crash happens on 10.8.2. with the latest Nvidia drivers.

Now going to update to 10.8.3 and see if the same error is reported with the Apple supplied drivers.

Screen%20Shot%202013-03-18%20at%2000.48.48.png

I didn't had any freeze on 10.8.2. I always had used the apple drivers.

Now, it's very annoying this freeze. It usually happens when I close a tab or a program.

Maybe we need to edit the AGPM kext to avoid a lower state for the card.

Cheers!

Motherboard
CPU
Graphics
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I didn't had any freeze on 10.8.2. I always had used the apple drivers.

Now, it's very annoying this freeze. It usually happens when I close a tab or a program.

Maybe we need to edit the AGPM kext to avoid a lower state for the card.

Cheers!
Yeah I never had any problems with the drivers Apple provided. That is with the latest Nvidia drivers. I am currently back on 10.8.3 and haven't had a freeze for about an hour now. This time I didn't bother with the OpenCL patch in multi-beast to see the effects. So far it seems that might be what caused the freezes but don't count me on that one as it's only been an hour ;)

Motherboard
CPU
Graphics
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Ok nope scratch that just got replicated the crash in 10.8.3

As you can see from the Console it's definitely a graphics problem with errors relating to a OpenGL timeout.

Screen%20Shot%202013-03-18%20at%2014.30.17.png

Motherboard
EVGA P55 Micro SLI
CPU
i5-760
Graphics
GTX 760
Classic Mac
  1. 512K
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
So,

What about replacing the 10.8.3 kexts with apple's from 10.8.2????

Will it work?

Cheers!

Motherboard
Pro
CPU
Q9550
Graphics
GTX460
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
I have this problem, too. 10.8.3 is so suck.

Motherboard
MSI P67A-G43
CPU
i5-2300
Graphics
EVGA GTX 550 Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. iMac
  3. Power Mac
  4. PowerBook
  5. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I have the same issues with my GTX 550Ti. However I did not do the Combo update, I updated through Software Update. I am downloading and installing the Combo update now to see if this resolves the problem. Figured its worth a shot.

Motherboard
CPU
Graphics
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have the same issues with my GTX 550Ti. However I did not do the Combo update, I updated through Software Update. I am downloading and installing the Combo update now to see if this resolves the problem. Figured its worth a shot.
Yeah I also used the combo update, fixed permissions then ran multi-beast for audio.

Another thing to add I have also tonymac straight up say the mid rangle 500 series cards just simply don't have stability with the latest drivers and advises people to try and sell them for a 600 series card to avoid future problems but it's something i'd like to avoid if possible XD