Contribute
Register

560 Ti: Coloured squares and crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an update, I finally bit the bullet, made sure my user was backed up on Time Machine and wiped my 10.8.1 install (upgraded from 10.8 and 10.7) and did a fresh clean blank-slate install of 10.8.2 from a fresh App Store download and Unibeast USB creation.

I started without the GTX 560 Ti, removing it from the computer. After installing the bootloader with Multibeast, the HD4000 on-board graphics worked flawlessly with full support.
I then put the 560 Ti back in and booted with no changes - Kernel Panic. Then I changed the BIOS to use the PEG as default and it booted right into OSX perfectly, had full proper driver support without any input from me or patches or anything.

I then left it on overnight to see what would happen. SUCCESS! The next day I found the system had gone to sleep. A tap of the spacebar brought it right back up. No freezing, no crashes, no coloured squares, no graphical corruption of any kind.

Has anyone tried the new Nvidia drivers?

Has anyone tried the new Nvidia drivers?

Yeah, didn't do anything for me. I'm always experiencing this problem after I turn off my projector (on an extended desktop, DVI-HDMI from my GTX 560ti) and turn my monitor back on. First the artifacts, then everything freezes. Finally blue screen.

Just an update, I finally bit the bullet, made sure my user was backed up on Time Machine and wiped my 10.8.1 install (upgraded from 10.8 and 10.7) and did a fresh clean blank-slate install of 10.8.2 from a fresh App Store download and Unibeast USB creation.

I started without the GTX 560 Ti, removing it from the computer. After installing the bootloader with Multibeast, the HD4000 on-board graphics worked flawlessly with full support.
I then put the 560 Ti back in and booted with no changes - Kernel Panic. Then I changed the BIOS to use the PEG as default and it booted right into OSX perfectly, had full proper driver support without any input from me or patches or anything.

I then left it on overnight to see what would happen. SUCCESS! The next day I found the system had gone to sleep. A tap of the spacebar brought it right back up. No freezing, no crashes, no coloured squares, no graphical corruption of any kind.

How is it now?

Any other issues with 10.8.2?

I hear all sorts of iTunes and other app issues--but maybe ok with clean install?

does that mean everything needs to be reloaded--- lightroom parallels etc?

This card should not be on the buy list. For time spent 660 worth it.

I have 560ti with squares but I just reset once a day. Till I hear the sure way I'll live with it :(

Ty for all the work everyone

I'm also wondering how it is going? I've been thinking about doing a new clean install of 10.8.2 as cmetom did. I PMed cmetom but i got no response =(. Hopefully he hasn't been back because hes had no issues... amirite??

Anyone else try this? before I wipe my whole system out.

off topic question... If i have 2 drives in disk utility mirrored raid and i wipe my OS drive and reinstall, will disk utility recognize it? or do i need to set it up again? Can i lose my raid drives?

did you try the clean install as well?? any luck??

detholm, Sorry for the wait! I have not tried a clean install on this yet. I started using windows more because this was so inconvenient. What i found was that the card did the same thing in windows! Only, less frequently and windows would recover after the error and drop a graphics driver error. I was able to get a screenshot and run a bunch of tests (in windows) for EVGA and I just mailed my card out for RMA yesterday. All of the tests came back fine, i wasn't able to crash the card with any of their stress tests. Its so weird..

I'll let you know how it goes with the replacement card. Maybe there's just a bad batch of these floating around out there?

Got my replacement 560ti RMA in today. Plugged it in, booted right up. One thing I notice now is that there is no flicker. Before it was like the card was set to 50hz or something. So that seems to be resolved (thought i don't imagine it is related). I've slept and woke several times so far with no issues. I'll update this in a week or something (hopefully I remember) and let you guys know how it is going. Might have done the trick!

I'm kind of leaning on the idea that there is a bad batch of the cards out there. Maybe a faulty shipment of memory installed on them or something. They were pretty easy about the return. Maybe this is a common hardware issue.

I'm very curious to hear from cmetom and how it is going for him. It seems odd that a clean install would fix his issue. CMETOM LET US KNOW!! :p

Scratch that comment about the flicker. I notice it still, I did the nvidia calibration thing and it is 99% gone. Probably just my old LCD.

On the up side, it is the morning and no crash still! Fingers crossed.

I'm on 10.8.2 with the newest nvidia drivers. If all is well i'm going to upgrade to 10.8.3

Still no crash. I think I can close the book on this one. For those of you out there still within warranty. Give it an RMA. Seems theres a bad batch of cards out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back