Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
1599665999125.png
There is some real value here. Look at what a $555 Ryzen 5 B550M build offers you today. Specs like this would have cost me over $2,000 when I built my first mATX system with a Gigabyte motherboard back in 2012. The most Sata SSD I could budget in was a 64GB Crucial M4. That cost around $120. You can easily get a one TB SSD for less than that now.

Here's an excerpt from Tom's Hardware in June of 2012:
We saw a number of price drops over the last month. Case in point: Crucial's 512 GB m4 now sits under $400. We have plenty of other recommendations.

A new six core Sandy or Ivy bridge Xeon CPU would have cost close to $1000 back in 2012. NVMe SSDs and 6 core consumer i7 CPUs didn't even exist back then. Much less a PCIe 4.0 slot for a graphics card. Here's an example build with current Amazon US pricing. The sales tax will vary depending on which state you reside in.

Screen Shot 17.jpg

Of course a Ryzen 5 3600 has no iGPU so a discrete graphics card is mandatory. You may already have one that is macOS Catalina or Big Sur compatible.
If you want to game or edit video and don't have a dedicated graphics card it's probably best, budgetwise, to go with the MSI RX570 8GB. They go for around $140 on Newegg.com MSI Radeon RX 570 8GB

Even if you add this you're still under $700 pre sales tax. Cost is less than a 4 core base model Mac mini. Those are limited to very weak UHD 630 graphics unless you add a pricey eGPU setup. You can easily spend over $400 on a Mac mini eGPU. You can learn more about the Lian Li 205M case in this thread: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/lian-li-matx-computer-case-205m-for-62-99.302996/

Last edited:
Thanks so much for this recommendation. I am finalizing a parts list for a new machine based on this, substituting a 3900x, 32gb memory, and a slightly higher wattage PSU. I've made a few hackintoshes before, but this will be my first AMD machine, and my first time using OpenCore.

My question: Can anyone recommend any resources for the EFI / BIOS / etc setup of this build? I was unable to find specific success stories with the Gigabyte B550M DS3H motherboard, though from my searching, it looks like @craighazan is using this board.

Thanks so much for this recommendation. I am finalizing a parts list for a new machine based on this, substituting a 3900x, 32gb memory, and a slightly higher wattage PSU. I've made a few hackintoshes before, but this will be my first AMD machine, and my first time using OpenCore.

My question: Can anyone recommend any resources for the EFI / BIOS / etc setup of this build? I was unable to find specific success stories with the Gigabyte B550M DS3H motherboard, though from my searching, it looks like @craighazan is using this board.
Correct @mike6502, I am using the Gigabyte B550M DS3H board paired with a R5 3600X, in my G5 build. Admittedly I haven't got past the Apple yet, but I'm working on it. I have been watching CaseySJ threads, here and here, also leesureone has a thread here.

Thanks @craighhazan, that was very helpful. It seems like B550 support is still quite early, but looking very promising based on that Vison D thread. I'm bummed you haven't been able to get the DS3H to fully boot just yet, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time. Since I'm in no rush, so I think I'll hold off for a month. Hopefully B550 support will improve in that time, plus Ryzen 3 will have launched (possibly driving down Ryzen 2 prices) along with Big Sur.

Thanks @craighhazan, that was very helpful. It seems like B550 support is still quite early, but looking very promising based on that Vison D thread. I'm bummed you haven't been able to get the DS3H to fully boot just yet, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time. Since I'm in no rush, so I think I'll hold off for a month. Hopefully B550 support will improve in that time, plus Ryzen 3 will have launched (possibly driving down Ryzen 2 prices) along with Big Sur.
Yes the hackintoshing has slowed a bit for me, other priorities have taken over. Things are settling down so I’ll have more time to get it working soon, and I’m confident it will. Also enjoying gaming on the new system with a Dell 27” curved monitor that I purchased recently and yes it does have a DP port. I’ll be writing about it for the deals of the day thread soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back