CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
the history begins when i've changed my Corsair 110 to EVGA closed loop.

With EVGA, after the log screen the computer got really hot 99º!!

Removing some FakeSMC sensors kexts the water cooler came back to life.

It took me a full day of restarts etc..

So. I bought a Nvme SSD 970 Samsung.

Did a clone of the working drive, but now it CRASHES after log screen!

Tried installing from zero.. same EFI.. and no way.

BUT, if i remove the overclock, theres no crash.

Please help.. i cant believe i cannot use Nvme SSD 970 with a overclock!

Tried m2 Bios settings X2 x4 .. the crash persists..

Please help

How are the temperatures when you run the system at stock speeds under full load?

As you switched the cooler it is likely that there is an issue with the new cooler or your installation.
Did you reapply new thermal paste? Is the cooler mounted well on the socket?
Are all connectors well connected?

I would check first if everything sits well. Test the system at stock speeds. Under load with that cooler the temps shouldn't go higher than 80 degrees. (is your CPU delidded?)

Then carefully redo your OC from scratch. Maybe check if you are running the latest BIOS Version.

The NVME SSD shouldn't be the issue here.

How are the temperatures when you run the system at stock speeds under full load?

As you switched the cooler it is likely that there is an issue with the new cooler or your installation.
Did you reapply new thermal paste? Is the cooler mounted well on the socket?
Are all connectors well connected?

I would check first if everything sits well. Test the system at stock speeds. Under load with that cooler the temps shouldn't go higher than 80 degrees. (is your CPU delidded?)

Then carefully redo your OC from scratch. Maybe check if you are running the latest BIOS Version.

The NVME SSD shouldn't be the issue here.
I can confirm as well, at least on my rig, that the 970 EVO (I have the 2TB) is not the problem barring it being defective. I'm overclocked at 5.0Ghz and sometimes 5.1 Ghz and the machine boots fine every time. I'm using a Corsair 150i RGB cooler as well. I've also got three 2.5" SSDs and four 3TB Hard drives in the case so I've got plenty that needs to be cooled. My processor is the i9-9900K as well. The 970 idles at about 37/38 degrees according to HWMonitor and goes up to around 47 degrees in heavy use (although its usually so fast I can't usually get to heavy use) Also, my motherboard came with a thermal shield for my two M.2 slots. Does your's have one? If not, maybe you need one. I would also check the bond/paste between your cooler and CPU like SebErr said.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back