Contribute
Register

4x30s CPU Upgrade path

Status
Not open for further replies.
The machine is also equipped with the following -
2x Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3-1600 (CMSX8GX3M1A1600C10) for a total of 16GB RAM,
Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB SSD (CSSD-N240GBGTX-BK)(

Umm, from the looking I did, I understood 8Gb was max...I just bought a matched pair of 8gb..maybe I should have tried 16...damn,...:(

Umm, from the looking I did, I understood 8Gb was max...I just bought a matched pair of 8gb..maybe I should have tried 16...damn,...:(

HP says that 8GB is max. There have been attempts with more... some successful, some not.

It might work but all the CPUs suggested by the HP service manual top out at TDP 45w. This one is 55w. Your laptop's cooling system might have trouble dissipating the heat that this chip will generate at full load.

Haven't' been able to find any info on the web elsewhere about a 4230s user with success using an i7 45w or higher cpu.

I've been reading the details in the hp quick specs for the pro books 4x30s, and it looks like for the 4230s the max i7 hp offers is 35w, while the other 4x30s are offered with i7 is 45w.

Does this mean the system board of the 4230s will not even power up an i7 cpu that needs 45w or more?

Hi,

I have HP Probook 4330s (i3 2310m, 8gb RAM 1333MHz, 1TB Samsung EVO SSD). I have upgraded the BIOS (F.60, 03/13/2015 version). I want to upgrade the CPU on my computer. This laptop was also delivered with i7 2620M and i5 2540M, so it should be possible to upgrade to any of these CPU’s. On the other hand, other users have also upgraded to i7 2720qm (see here), i7-2820qm (see here), i7 2630qm (see here) i7 2670m (see here, and here), i7 2860qm (see here)

The best thing I like about this computer that it stays cool, no matter how much I use, or how I use. I use it on ‘lap’ (sometime for many hours) and it remains completely cold underneath (fan works constantly, but not hot enough air to make it uncomfortable), without having the need to put anything under it. So my question is, those of you who upgraded the CPU, does it heat up more? More enough to have a need to put anything under it? Please share the experience for those of you who upgraded the cpu.

Please tell.

This is my souped up ProBook 4330s LY465EA -

CPU - upgraded: Core i7-2860QM

CPU - original: Core i3-2350M (been using an i7-2620M for several months before deciding on 2nd upgrade)

Probook BIOS version: F.40

OS X version(s): 10.8.4

Remarks:

The machine is also equipped with the following -
2x Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3-1600 (CMSX8GX3M1A1600C10) for a total of 16GB RAM,
Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB SSD (CSSD-N240GBGTX-BK)
1TB Segate HDD in a caddy, replacing the ODD (ST1000LM024)

I insisted on finding a non Engineering Sample/Qualification Sample CPU, which took a long time. Luckily, I found one on eBay and managed to snag it at a bargain price of $265!

The overall cost invested in the upgrades to this ProBook are quite extraordinary. Most probably, I could've bought a real MB for that price, minus some of these upgrades.

Nevertheless I absolutely love this machine. I don't get MacBook-like battery life but its performance is awesome. GB score with the i7-2860QM is around ~10400, whereas with the i7-2620M it scored around ~7600.

My wet dream is a higher resolution screen but seems that's absolutely impossible. :(

Can you confirm that there are NO problems with 16GB ram and i7 cpus?Cause i read so many stories and i do not know what to believe. Today i got my 16GB crucial 1333mhz running with no problems on the stock i3 and i am ready to upgrade to 2670QM i7 but i need to be 100% sure or i go for another laptop. Another thing is that i see exact same scores on Geekbench like i have with the 8GB ram. Shouldn't double ram change the scores or it doesn't affect on Ram? (if you have some free time kindly make me a favour and run a GB with 8GB only to check if it makes any difference)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back